C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need a more complete list of DTC codes. C1288 (Service Active Handling)

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2004, 01:51 PM
rwj383
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Need a more complete list of DTC codes. C1288 (Service Active Handling)

A routine power steering rack R&R yielded some codes, one of which remains active- C1288. After every startup the DIC throws Service Vehicle Soon and Service Active Handling, followed by check engine lite (Then C1288 is Current). I've checked everything that got touched during the R&R; all is good. Wheel sensors good. rack connections good. I have searched several DTC Code lists and dont find this exact code. However, it does reside within the similar codes that deal with Steering Sensor. If someone could provide a link to a more complete list that what is readily available here on the forum, that would be great.
Thanks.
Robert
Old 06-22-2004, 02:50 PM
georgec114
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Need a more complete list of DTC codes. C1288 (rwj383)

I only found C1288-Steering Wheel Sensor Circuit.

I have heard some had similar errors when a sensor was replaced
180 degress out of phase??? I just remember some threads a while back
about this. You may do a search...Sorry not more helpful.

...George
Old 06-22-2004, 10:30 PM
rwj383
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Need a more complete list of DTC codes. C1288 (georgec114)

GeorgeC: which DTC Code list did you find 1288 definition at? A link? I've triple-checked the steering wheel clocking and it is fine except that the wheel is not perfectly TDC with front wheels straight. Jumping the steering shaft coupler one notch in either direction unclocks the wheel much worse. I've seen several C5's whose steering wheel is a few degrees from TDC when driving straight down the road and no Active Handling errors. I did count the # of turns in each direction from TDC and determined the steering coupler is right where it should be on the input shaft of the rack. Any other ideas? A link to better DTC list?

Robert
Old 06-23-2004, 01:33 AM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

getting same problem, will be watching this thread please post fix
Old 06-23-2004, 01:50 AM
qs01coupe
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try this list of DTC codes

http://www.c5forum.com/ayc/2000dtc.php
Old 06-23-2004, 12:25 PM
KKu77
Racer

Here's a pretty complete list from HP Tuners

http://www.hptuners.com/dtcs.htm
Old 06-24-2004, 05:47 AM
99blackFRC
Burning Brakes

You'll get this code when, as stated above, the steering shaft sensor is no longer aligned.. I had this happen to me while doing a H/C swap where the steering wheel got rotated while the shaft was disconnected.. To fix it, I ended up rotating the steering wheel 360deg one way with the shaft disconnected, then reconnected and drove it to see if that fixed it.. Then repeated the same procedure going back 720deg the other way. That did it.. I figured that there's only 3 revolutions max turn with the steering wheel, so I'd eventually find the right spot.. I've heard that you don't want to turn the wheel too many times in the same direction because you'll break the sensor so that's why I did the 360, 720 the other way, etc. method until I found the right spot.. I know there's a way to do this easier by monitoring a certain wire for 2.5v or something but I couldn't find the info.. Good luck..

[Modified by 99blackFRC, 5:48 AM 6/24/2004]
Old 06-24-2004, 09:11 AM
dvandentop
Race Director

Default Re: Need a more complete list of DTC codes. C1288 (99blackFRC)

THANKS A TON!
Old 06-28-2004, 09:35 PM
dvandentop
Race Director

Default Re: Need a more complete list of DTC codes. C1288 (dvandentop)

CRAP!

aboive mentioned method didnt work for me

anyone have info on which wire to monitor so i can get this fixed???
Old 06-28-2004, 09:47 PM
Logandiagnostic
Intermediate

The code is actually listed under the ABS system rather then steering system.

DTC C1287 or C1288
Circuit Description
The vehicle stability enhancement system (VSES) is activated by the EBCM calculating the desired yaw rate and comparing it to the actual yaw rate input. The desired yaw rate is calculated from measured steering wheel position, vehicle speed, and lateral acceleration. The difference between the desired yaw rate and actual yaw rate is the yaw rate error, which is a measurement of oversteer or understeer. If the yaw rate error becomes too large, the EBCM will attempt to correct the vehicle's yaw motion by applying differential braking to the left or right front wheel.

The amount of differential braking applied to the left or right front wheel is based on both the yaw rate error and side slip rate error. The side slip rate error is a function of the lateral acceleration minus the product of the yaw rate and vehicle speed. The yaw rate error and side slip rate error are combined to produce the total delta velocity error. When the delta velocity error becomes too large and the VSES system activates, the drivers steering inputs combined with the differential braking will attempt to bring the delta velocity error toward zero.

The VSES activations generally occur during aggressive driving, in the turns or bumpy roads without much use of the accelerator pedal. When braking during VSES activation, the brake pedal will feel different than the ABS pedal pulsation. The brake pedal pulsates at a higher frequency during VSES activation.

Conditions for Running the DTC
The ignition is ON.

Conditions for Setting the DTC
C1287
One of the following conditions exists:

The steering wheel position sensor is synchronized and the steer rate (speed that the steering wheel appears to be turning) is greater than 1100 degrees/second.
The steer rate is less than 80 degrees/second and the difference in the phase angle between Phase A and Phase B is greater than 20 degrees.
The 2 steering sensor signals (Phase A and Phase B) do not agree for 1 second. Under this condition, this DTC will set along with DTC C1281.
C1288
One of the following conditions exists:

Both Phase A and Phase B are greater than 4.9 volts for 1.6 seconds.
Both Phase A and Phase B are less than 0.2 volts for 1.6 seconds.
The difference in the changes in Phase A and Phase B is greater than 35.2 degrees for 9.76 milliseconds.
Action Taken When the DTC Sets
The EBCM disables the VSES for the duration of the ignition cycle.
The Traction Control and Active Handling indicator turns ON.
The DIC displays the Service Active Handling message.
The ABS remains functional.
Conditions for Clearing the DTC
The condition for the DTC is no longer present and the DTC is cleared with a scan tool.
The EBCM automatically clears the history DTC when a current DTC is not detected in 100 consecutive drive cycles.
Diagnostic Aids
The scan tool may display 2 additional characters after the DTC. Take note of the 2 character code and any other DTCs that are set. The 2 character code is an engineering aid used in order to determine the specific criteria which caused the DTC to set.
During diagnosis, park the vehicle on a level surface.
Check the vehicle for proper alignment. The car should not pull in either direction while driving straight on a level surface.
Find out from the driver under what conditions the DTC was set (when the DIC displayed the Service Active Handling message). This information will help to duplicate the failure.
The Snapshot function on the scan tool can help find an intermittent DTC.
Test Description
The numbers below refer to the step numbers on the diagnostic table.

Perform the Steering Position Sensor Test in order to verify if the steering wheel position sensor (SWPS) is operating properly.

Tests for the proper operation of the steering wheel position signal A circuit in the low voltage range.

Tests for the proper operation of the steering wheel position signal B circuit in the low voltage range.

Tests for the proper operation of the steering wheel position signal A circuit in the high voltage range. If the fuse in the jumper opens when you perform this test, the signal circuit is shorted to ground.

Tests for the proper operation of the steering wheel position signal B circuit in the high voltage range. If the fuse in the jumper opens when you perform this test, the signal circuit is shorted to ground.

Tests for a short to voltage in the 5 volt reference circuit.

Tests for a high resistance or an open in the low reference circuit.

Logan Diagnostic
http://www.airbagcrash.com

Old 06-28-2004, 11:09 PM
rwj383
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Need a more complete list of DTC codes. C1288 (Logandiagnostic)

LogandDiagnostic, et al;

quick update- in my situation the C1288 throws just as soon as you turn the steering wheel any time after you start the car up. No codes until then. I have All Data program that provides me with schematics and diagnostic flow charts to tackle any code for any model year now. So what I have learned is that the Steering Wheel Position Sensor is referenced for Center position only after >18mph with regards to the EBTCM and TCS function, wheel speed sensors, etc. The fact that I code even when sitting still and only turning the wheel indicated an open or short within the circuit between the SWPS and the EBTCM. I am also learning there are other components within this circuit that the All Data schematics dont show when you look in one section of the All Data program, but do show up in similar circuit schematics elsewhere in the program for same model year. This is frustrating because it really slows down my troubleshooting. Anyway, I have found an open in the circuit and am tracking it down. Customer had to take the car for the weekend so I didnt conclude the repair. More to come....

Robert
http://www.gen3motorsports.com
Old 06-28-2004, 11:14 PM
dvandentop
Race Director

same problem here i can wiggle the damn whell and it sets mine off!

Old 06-29-2004, 01:25 AM
rwj383
Melting Slicks

by the time I am done here I will be able to guide you on a quick troubleshooting check to determine what is wrong. A note- your ABS is still enabled and working even though you are getting this error.
Old 06-29-2004, 02:15 AM
dvandentop
Race Director

by the time I am done here I will be able to guide you on a quick troubleshooting check to determine what is wrong. A note- your ABS is still enabled and working even though you are getting this error.
yeah i knew that was working it is sorta nice competivie mode if i am road racing though, also be sure to update thanks alot

Get notified of new replies

To Need a more complete list of DTC codes. C1288 (Service Active Handling)

Quick Reply: Need a more complete list of DTC codes. C1288 (Service Active Handling)