C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anybody installed any of the new 1.85 Roller Rockers for LS1/6?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2004, 05:29 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Has anybody installed any of the new 1.85 Roller Rockers for LS1/6?

There seems to be a bunch of manufactures finally making improved roller rockers for the LS1/6 (comp cams, crane, jessel). I am curious if anybody has installed these and what your thoughts are? I have an 01 Z with kooks long tubes, random cats/x, stingers, and halltech T1. I am thinking this would be the perfect compliment to my set up. I don't want to spend the money on H&C and do not want to go through that much work. I think this could just give me the extra 10-15hp to get me that 400RWHP magical number.

I had a 95 LT1 which I installed crower 1.6 (factory were 1.5) roller rockers and it made a pretty good improvment (13RWHP) for about $400.

Has anybody had any issues/hp gains/clearence problems? I think this is a great way to get a little more out of a stock cam, especially with an open intake and exhaust set up.
Old 08-11-2004, 05:38 PM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 492 Likes on 419 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11,'13

no, but reserching this topic because like you. i dont whant the heads and cam or a blower . so i figure this is my next mod i have a 2000 a4. but i would like to find ones that fit under the valve cover i think crane is the only one and i think there titanium. i personally dont know which is better the titanium or aluminum. also for power i hered jesel make good power i dont know about the rest
Old 08-11-2004, 07:45 PM
vettemaster1
Drifting

i just installed cc 1.85 rockers...love the rockers and the fact they are adjustable...they did hit on the valve covers.. took out the old die grinder and twenty minutes later no more problem.
Old 08-11-2004, 09:11 PM
mrr23
Melting Slicks

Received 114 Likes on 98 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

did the VHP 1.89 accelerated lift roller rockers on the wife's 99 formula. here's the hp and tq graphs

the tq peak is misleading due to the spike at the beginning of the run. the cursor shows the actual gain
Old 08-12-2004, 10:07 AM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Nice gain...how much were they and how exactly did you modify the covers? I had a 95 and I had to grind off the oil tabs.
Old 08-12-2004, 10:51 AM
vettemaster1
Drifting

had to grind off the dimples on the inside of the cover for the coil mounting bracket bosses. that was easy...also had to remove the left side baffle....
Old 08-12-2004, 01:20 PM
INTHERED
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Default CompCams SS Roller rockers

Originally Posted by vettemaster1
had to grind off the dimples on the inside of the cover for the coil mounting bracket bosses. that was easy...also had to remove the left side baffle....
If you had to do it again would you still use choose the CC rockers ?
Old 08-12-2004, 02:43 PM
vettemaster1
Drifting

i have found that when changing to after market parts most things require some modification.. ..guess thats why they call it modding....

that said i like the rockers and the fact they are adjustable.... would probally do it again...even knowing that some cover modifications were likely..
Old 08-12-2004, 04:43 PM
BlueDragon
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just spent a lot of time researching and going to go with the Crane cams set up. I was up to Hot August Nights show in Reno and talked with the rep. I am going with the complete 1.85 roller kit including springs and pushrods. They correctly answered all my questions. Including clearance questions. Mine is a early build 98. Seems there are a couple of different head castings for LS1 or there were and on one of them you will need to do some grinding to clear the rocker tails. But Crane gives you the head numbers so you will know what to do.

I recommend doing the springs while you are at it. the stock springs were not made to go that far plus you want to get a few more RPM out of her as well.

Get notified of new replies

To Has anybody installed any of the new 1.85 Roller Rockers for LS1/6?

Quick Reply: Has anybody installed any of the new 1.85 Roller Rockers for LS1/6?