C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Left Side Multifunction Switch Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2004, 01:45 PM
Wadoka
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04
Cruise-In 1-2-3-4-5 Veteran

Default Left Side Multifunction Switch Replacement

I'm going to put my new switch in today.

Just one question -

Did you really have to pull the steering wheel?

I'm looking in the service manual and thinking that it could be done without pulling the wheel. Just a battery disconnect and pull the airbag fuses.

Yes/No?

As an addition, it looks like it can indeed be done with the steering wheel still installed...so far.

The two torx-head bolts holding the upper trim cover on were a surprise. Thank someone for the needle-nosed vise-grips I bought to install my shifter.

Another thing...don't you HATE getting into your car, and finding out someone else was in there first... and didn't do a good job / put everything back like it should be? Yeesh...

Last edited by Wadoka; 10-23-2004 at 03:59 PM.
Old 10-23-2004, 03:59 PM
Wadoka
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04
Cruise-In 1-2-3-4-5 Veteran

It's only possible to remove the switch from the column without removing the steering wheel, if you're a lucky or well-prepared dog, and have (1) A loose T20 bit in the toolbox and (2) a pair of medium-sized locking pliers to turn the bit.

Otherwise you can't get the lower screw out of the switch without pulling the wheel.

I've used up my luck for today now.

Quick Reply: Left Side Multifunction Switch Replacement