C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Bumper Cover removal

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2004, 04:00 PM
a6fan
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Bumper Cover removal

I need to remove rear bumper cover. Anything special I should watch out for?
How do I get started? Is it a straight forward job?
I know I could figure it out eventually but there's a ton of you guys out here who've done it many times and I thought I'd ask first!
Thanks
Old 11-10-2004, 04:04 PM
Patches
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 889 Likes on 587 Posts

1. Remove the tail lights, license plate, and back up light assembly.

2. Remove the 4 or so plastic plugs under the fascia, just above where the exhaust tips exit.

3. Reach up through the area where the license plate was and disconnect the plug to the 3rd brake light. Also remove the plasic clips that hold the taillight wiring to the fascia.

4. Jack the car and remove the rear wheels. Then remove the 4 or so bolts holding in the rear wheel well liners. You don't have to remove the whole thing, just enough to get your hands back there.

5. There are 2 bolts just under the side marker lights. Then there are 2 nuts directly behind the side marker lights towards the back of the car.

6. Reach through the outermost tail light holes an remove the 2 or three remaining bolts. On the right side, one of the bolts holds the ground wire for the lights and antenna.

7. Remove all of the bolts along the top edge where the hatch closes.

8. Carefully pull the bottom of the fascia towards you, then slide your fingers under the top edge at the hatch and pull up and back. The fascia just sort of "hangs" on the car like a coat on coat rack.

9. I did the job myself , but you might want to have somebody help you because the fascia is like a wet noodle when not attached to the car.

10. Lay it down on a blanket or drop cloth to avoid scratching the paint.

11. Re-install is simply the reverse of the removal process.
Old 11-23-2004, 12:57 PM
brock71
Advanced

Default Rear Bumper COver Removal

Great timing. I'm ready to remove the cover on my '88. Teh bolts along th etop edge referred to in step #7 above....how do you get access to them?
John
Hudson, OH
Old 11-23-2004, 01:09 PM
Patches
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 889 Likes on 587 Posts

You'll see them when you open the hatch.

Old 04-03-2019, 01:41 PM
emarkovits
Cruising

What year of car was these directions written?
Old 04-03-2019, 02:47 PM
Smoken1
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 971 Likes on 783 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

Originally Posted by emarkovits
What year of car was these directions written?
If you are referring to Patches post it's an 02 Z06
Old 07-12-2019, 07:34 AM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

Originally Posted by Patches
1. Remove the tail lights, license plate, and back up light assembly.

2. Remove the 4 or so plastic plugs under the fascia, just above where the exhaust tips exit.

3. Reach up through the area where the license plate was and disconnect the plug to the 3rd brake light. Also remove the plasic clips that hold the taillight wiring to the fascia.

4. Jack the car and remove the rear wheels. Then remove the 4 or so bolts holding in the rear wheel well liners. You don't have to remove the whole thing, just enough to get your hands back there.

5. There are 2 bolts just under the side marker lights. Then there are 2 nuts directly behind the side marker lights towards the back of the car.

6. Reach through the outermost tail light holes an remove the 2 or three remaining bolts. On the right side, one of the bolts holds the ground wire for the lights and antenna.

7. Remove all of the bolts along the top edge where the hatch closes.

8. Carefully pull the bottom of the fascia towards you, then slide your fingers under the top edge at the hatch and pull up and back. The fascia just sort of "hangs" on the car like a coat on coat rack.

9. I did the job myself , but you might want to have somebody help you because the fascia is like a wet noodle when not attached to the car.

10. Lay it down on a blanket or drop cloth to avoid scratching the paint.

11. Re-install is simply the reverse of the removal process.

Get notified of new replies

To Rear Bumper Cover removal

Quick Reply: Rear Bumper Cover removal