C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drilling holes in exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2005, 01:05 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

Received 3,812 Likes on 1,925 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Originally Posted by 90 droptop
If I spoke my mind on some of the things I read on this board, I would be banned for sure.
In four years on this forum, I have never held back a little bit..
I have never had as much as a wrist slap.. and this is to some peoples amazement..
Old 01-19-2005, 01:08 PM
Florida2000
Pro

Received 93 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by sxe60
Too harsh ? Wouldn't be E-T, if you weren't.

The mod sounds like the A&A muffler by-pass mod, but shortcut. I would think that it would make a whistling noise when you nailed it.
Me too, which was why I waited to hear how it sounded first on another C5. No whistle all the way to 6K
Old 01-19-2005, 01:24 PM
6SPD98
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18- '19

Default Welcome To The New Member

________________________________________ ____________________
[Evil-Twin]In four years on this forum, I have never held back a little bit..
I have never had as much as a wrist slap.. and this is to some peoples amazement..
________________________________________ ____________________

Ya Got That Right!
Old 01-19-2005, 01:24 PM
90 droptop
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Evil-Twin
In four years on this forum, I have never held back a little bit..
Your a bit more polite than me.
Old 01-19-2005, 01:29 PM
Ragtop_Rob
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Originally Posted by Florida2000
This was considered:

1) I live in Florida and have the top down 95% of the time. 2) the holes are drilled at the curve and exhaust is forced towards the back of the car and is very near rear anyway 4) I am more likely to get CO poisoning from the car in front of me if I'm sitting in traffic 5) CO carried inside by exhaust fumes is easily detectable, you'd taste and smell it, unlike CO produced by a gas heater in a home for example.

Anyway, it’s been a great experience so far at corvetteforum, the insults and sarcasm are much appreciated
OH OUCH!!!! You had to go there - You are clearly the spawn of Satin!
"1) I live in Florida and have the top down 95% of the time."

Just kidding... it is snowing here and I will not see top down till freaking April at best.

Just be careful when tooling around with the windows up - as for the sound, if you like it that is what matters!
Old 01-19-2005, 01:29 PM
c5rulz
Le Mans Master

A friend of mine died from carbon monoxide poisoning. The car was a POS that had a bad exhaust. Therefore I really question this not being a significant hazard.
Old 01-19-2005, 01:31 PM
ZO6vettepilot
Pro

Originally Posted by Florida2000
This was considered:

1) I live in Florida and have the top down 95% of the time. 2) the holes are drilled at the curve and exhaust is forced towards the back of the car and is very near rear anyway 4) I am more likely to get CO poisoning from the car in front of me if I'm sitting in traffic 5) CO carried inside by exhaust fumes is easily detectable, you'd taste and smell it, unlike CO produced by a gas heater in a home for example.

Anyway, it’s been a great experience so far at corvetteforum, the insults and sarcasm are much appreciated
CO2 is an odorless,tasteless gas that is present from any combustion. The exhaust smell that we humans can detect are the result of the unburned hydrocarbons which may or may not have high levels of CO2 contained within, that's why one should not depend on their nose or tastbuds to determine the levels of CO2, it's just too dangerous. Additionally, CO2 poisening is cumulative, and our hemoglobin in the red blood cells have an affinity for CO2 that is approximately 1000 times greater than the affinity for O2 (oxygen). Therefore, if you get a small dose of CO2 in the morning, and another small dose in the evening, your body has probably not gotten rid of the morning dose yet, so the percent of CO2 saturation could be doubled.

Be careful out there we don't want to read about you in the morning papers.

Last edited by ZO6vettepilot; 01-19-2005 at 01:33 PM.
Old 01-19-2005, 01:34 PM
Florida2000
Pro

Originally Posted by Ragtop_Rob
OH OUCH!!!! You had to go there - You are clearly the spawn of Satin!
"1) I live in Florida and have the top down 95% of the time."

Just kidding... it is snowing here and I will not see top down till freaking April at best.

Just be careful when tooling around with the windows up - as for the sound, if you like it that is what matters!
Thanks, and sorry about the Florida dig...a little consolation for you, its freezing here right now, which freaks the natives out. Im from Canada so I kinda like it...
Old 01-19-2005, 01:37 PM
Florida2000
Pro

Originally Posted by ZO6vettepilot
CO2 is an odorless,tasteless gas that is present from any combustion. The exhaust smell that we humans can detect are the result of the unburned hydrocarbons which may or may not have high levels of CO2 contained within, that's why one should not depend on their nose or tastbuds to determine the levels of CO2, it's just too dangerous. Additionally, CO2 poisening is cumulative, and our hemoglobin in the red blood cells have an affinity for CO2 that is approximately 1000 times greater than the affinity for O2 (oxygen). Therefore, if you get a small dose of CO2 in the morning, and another small dose in the evening, your body has probably not gotten rid of the morning dose yet, so the percent of CO2 saturation could be doubled.

point taken, thanks for the advice
Old 01-19-2005, 01:38 PM
c5rulz
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by ZO6vettepilot

Well said, but I think you meant CO (carbon monoxide) rather that CO2 which is (carbon dioxide)
Old 01-19-2005, 02:20 PM
J-Rod
Melting Slicks

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

I also almost died from CO poisoning. A modern car doesn't make enough CO to kill you. You could lock yourself in the garage all day, and you'd run out of gas before you dies.

On an old car it doesn't take any time at all.

With that said, I resent the remark about the zip tie mod. :p

Anyhow, I would look at the A&A mod if I wanted something like this, or buy a set of Ti's. Anyhow, I don't think there is any hazard from this mod....
Old 01-19-2005, 03:23 PM
raidersfan
Pro

Location: Spread The Virus!!!!!!! Opie and Anthony XM Satellite Radio

WTF?????? Drilling holes in your exhaust?? Ok, do we all not own Corvettes? Are you sure you and your friend don't have Chevettes? Sorry to flame you but this is some silly S that some kid does to his $8K Honda, not a $30 - 40K prized sports car. I can't comprehend this for a second. save your money and do it right and buy an exhaust. Hey while your at it why not buy one of those turbo sound simulators? Its a little fan you put in your tailpipe and the exhaust pressure spins the fan and makes the sound of a turbo spooling. i think you can find them on Ebay for like $19.99 and if you order soon you get a 12 piece knife set for free, you just pay shipping.
Old 01-19-2005, 03:39 PM
see5
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yuck!
Old 01-19-2005, 04:05 PM
makn hp
Advanced

Default Exhaust holes

Not shure what the state inspection law is in FL but that boat would not flot in St Louis & that pipe cost a lot
Old 01-19-2005, 04:06 PM
BMG50
Racer

Originally Posted by raidersfan
WTF?????? Drilling holes in your exhaust?? Ok, do we all not own Corvettes? Are you sure you and your friend don't have Chevettes? Sorry to flame you but this is some silly S that some kid does to his $8K Honda, not a $30 - 40K prized sports car. I can't comprehend this for a second. save your money and do it right and buy an exhaust. Hey while your at it why not buy one of those turbo sound simulators? Its a little fan you put in your tailpipe and the exhaust pressure spins the fan and makes the sound of a turbo spooling. i think you can find them on Ebay for like $19.99 and if you order soon you get a 12 piece knife set for free, you just pay shipping.

Last edited by BMG50; 01-19-2005 at 04:14 PM.
Old 01-19-2005, 04:07 PM
Bruceatlam
Racer

Originally Posted by Evil-Twin
I've been on this earth for 60 years, and in the automotive arena for over 45 years. I've never seen anyone here on the east coast drill holes in their exhaust pipes..anyone looking for more noise, either removes the mufflers, goes with resonators only or buys a less restrictive muffler.,but always routes the exhaust out from Under the car. In any event, anyone with half a brain would not let leaking exhaust gases get trapped underneith their car. That's why any hole in an exhaust system other than a 1/16th weap hole in the muffler is a failure in a vehicle "safety" inspection.
Me too -- grew up in the midwest and hung around lots of would be "hot rodders" and holes in the muffler was a favorite trick. They didn't have any money -- what they did have, they used for $0.30 a gallon gas. Performance exhaust systems didn't even exist. Didn't say that I endorsed it. Unfortunately, none of them ever gassed themselves.
Old 01-19-2005, 04:20 PM
Florida2000
Pro

Originally Posted by J-Rod
I also almost died from CO poisoning. A modern car doesn't make enough CO to kill you. You could lock yourself in the garage all day, and you'd run out of gas before you dies.

On an old car it doesn't take any time at all.

With that said, I resent the remark about the zip tie mod. :p

Anyhow, I would look at the A&A mod if I wanted something like this, or buy a set of Ti's. Anyhow, I don't think there is any hazard from this mod....
Interesting, thanks, and also thanks for keeping the comments "tech" related...

Get notified of new replies

To Drilling holes in exhaust

Old 01-19-2005, 04:24 PM
7.0Ltrs of Love
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Florida2000 just do what makes you feel happy and board members you shouldnt be throwing mean comemnts out there, he was only ASKING of any benefits or drawbacks to doing this, no need to say he has no brain. if you're happy with it then do it thats my sayin'.
Old 01-19-2005, 04:35 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

Received 3,812 Likes on 1,925 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Originally Posted by Bruceatlam
Me too -- grew up in the midwest and hung around lots of would be "hot rodders" and holes in the muffler was a favorite trick. They didn't have any money -- what they did have, they used for $0.30 a gallon gas. Performance exhaust systems didn't even exist. Didn't say that I endorsed it. Unfortunately, none of them ever gassed themselves.
Well when gas was 29 cents in the sixties I was running hooker headers and racing was a big thing, thrush mufflers, Holly , edelbrock, stall , even GM was into rqcing, anyone with a 283or 327 could get the latest cam grinds from duntov right over the counter narounf 20 dollars..solid lifters were 2 dollars each 4:11 rears where always on the shelf. 4:56 took a day to get. Carter AFB's , WCFB's, rochester fuel injection.. The sixties was a good time.. money was worth alot more than it is today.. a 150 dollar a week paycheck could get you an almost new corvette and have money to play. Every one I knew who was racing in the sixties were not drilling holes in the mufflers. a Pair of thrush mufflers or a pair of cherry bombs were 30 dollars.. for both. I am not doubting you but, no one drilled holes in mufflers in my circle. Especially when glass packs were cheap as dirt. Ppeople where running scavenger pipes and lake pipes back then . I guess we grew up in different worlds..
Old 01-19-2005, 04:36 PM
ZO6vettepilot
Pro

Originally Posted by c5rulz
Well said, but I think you meant CO (carbon monoxide) rather that CO2 which is (carbon dioxide)
OOOOH, where did that little 2 come from. Thanks for the heads up, you're right it should be CO.

Quick Reply: Drilling holes in exhaust