Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[Z06] A COMPREHENSIVE FAQ: The Tick Performance C5 Adjustable Clutch Master Cylinder Kit

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2009, 05:39 PM
0Joey@Tick
Former Vendor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Default A COMPREHENSIVE FAQ: The Tick Performance C5 Adjustable Clutch Master Cylinder Kit

For those who may not already know, all of us here at Tick Performance have a passion for one common thing - shifting these Corvettes, F-Bodies and GTO cars as quickly as possible. I get multiple calls & e-mails daily from folks all over the world wanting to fix all the shifting problems these cars have become notorious for. Luckily, we've developed the cure: the Tick Performance Adjustable Clutch Master Cylinder Kit.

Our kit offers a ton of benefits to you:
  • The absolute QUICKEST shifts these cars are capable of!
  • Comprehensive adjustability to guarantee 100% disengagement of ANY clutch setup
  • Extended Clutch Life
  • Extended Transmission Life
  • ...and much, much more. Read on for more information!
Although this post is a long one, it is an ultra informative look inside the dreaded GM Hydraulic setup and a highlight reel of all the gains you'll see by installing one of our Tick Performance Adjustable Clutch Master Cylinder Kits. I'll break it down into an FAQ Style format:

1) Why is the GM Hydraulic system so bad?
Let's face it - GM has never been known for putting the strongest rear end components in their sports cars. Corvettes, F-Bodies and GTO cars all the same are known for breaking drivetrain parts while driven aggressively. To save the expense of fixing drivetrain parts under warranty, GM used a weak clutch master cylinder designed to keep shifting slow by limiting fluid volume and restricting it's flow. Unfortunately, these limits and restrictions introduce a whole new wave of problems, including the infamous gear lockout in the upper RPMs, inability to engage first or reverse gear while stopped, clutch pedal sticking to the floor, and a whole host of other issues. If not upgraded, the factory master cylinder will lead to premature clutch wear (and ultimately, failure) and transmission damage.

2) How is the Tick Performance Adjustable Clutch Master Cylinder Kit an improvement over the stock setup?
We designed our Tick Performance Adjustable Clutch Master Cylinder Kit to flow a TON more fluid than the stock unit, as well as remove any and all restrictions in the hydraulic system. The combination of these two improvements results in a driving experience that will literally blow you away after years of fighting with the stock master cylinder. With our kit, you'll be using the same hydraulic setup that multiple NASCAR teams use in the racecars you see every Sunday.

Every Tick Performance Adjustable Clutch Master Cylinder Kit comes with a completely unrestricted stainless braided line, thus eliminating the need for the "drill mod" made popular in the F-Body community. The line is also heat wrapped, protecting the fluid from boiling and introducing air into the system. We combat fluid boil three different ways: more fluid volume, quicker fluid movement, and advanced protection from heat.

3) How can I tell if I need to upgrade to the Tick Performance Adjustable Clutch Master Cylinder Kit?
The first step is to determine if your clutch is fully disengaging or not. To do this, you'll need to perform a simple procedure that we call the "rev test".
  1. Make sure your car is on 100% flat, level ground.
  2. Start the car, and shift into first gear.
  3. With your foot still on the clutch, rev the car to the upper RPMs, all the way to redline.
If the car creeps forward at all, you aren't getting a full disengagement of the clutch and it would benefit you to upgrade to our Tick Performance Adjustable Clutch Master Cylinder Kit.

4) How hard is the Tick Performance Adjustable Clutch Master Cylinder Kit to install?
All of our kits are direct bolt ins, with no cutting or welding required. They are all reversible in case you ever decide to go back to the factory master cylinder, as well. We design all of our kits with ease of installation in mind, and none of our Master Cylinder Kits require transmission removal to install.

Usually, our Corvette kit takes 60-120 minutes to install and requires drilling two small holes.
Usually, our F-Body kit takes 60-90 minutes to install.
Usually, our GTO kit takes 60-120 minutes to install.

5) Do I need to upgrade my slave as well?
No, we design all of our kits to work flawlessly with your factory slave cylinder. We do suggest keeping the slave cylinder fresh by replacing it every time you remove the transmission from the car, regardless of mileage.

6) What differences can I look forward to while driving the car with your kit installed?
Our Tick Performance Adjustable Clutch Master Cylinder Kit uses a bigger bore than your factory master cylinder in order to flow more fluid. As a result of this, your pedal pressure will increase by ~15%. This is a GOOD increase that results in a much better feel for the clutch.

When you adjust our kit, you're actually adjusting the amount of fluid that the system flows. As a result, your clutch pedal could be noticeably shorter than it was with the factory cylinder - this just depends on your particular clutch setup. This is another GOOD feature because it results in quicker shifting.

You'll notice that the car goes into gear much easier than before, and shifting will be much more smooth as well.

7) Why is the Tick Performance Adjustable Clutch Master Cylinder Kit better than any other Adjustable Clutch Master Cylinder?
Our Tick Performance Adjustable Clutch Master Cylinder Kit is the most comprehensive kit on the market. It flows more fluid than any other kit, is more adjustable than any other kit, and you get more for your money with our kit compared to any other kit on the market.

With our kit, we call it adjustable because you're actually adjusting the amount of fluid that the sytem flows. You've likely seen people modify their stock master cylinder to be "adjustable" - unfortunately, all you can adjust with this setup is the dead space in the pedal. There is no way to make the factory cylinder flow significantly more fluid. The RAM Adjustable Clutch Master Cylinder for the F-Body and Corvette is simply a modified stock master cylinder. This will not cure any serious clutch disengagement issues.

Aside from our kit, the only other kit on the market that actually flows more fluid than stock is the McLeod. This was the best option for years on F-Bodies and Corvettes, until we released our kit. McLeod's kit flows less fluid than ours (it uses a smaller bore) and in the past has had issues with premature leakage and failure. Our kit also includes a heat wrapped, unrestricted stainless braided line that the McLeod does not.

Our kit is the only option for the GTO. Coincidentally - it's also the best! It replaces the factory soft rubber section in the line between the slave and the master with our heat wrapped, unrestricted stainless braided line. It eliminates the need for any other aftermarket "hard line" kit and best of all it installs without requiring removal of the transmission.

8) I've heard of some other brands having leaking issues. What if my Tick Performance Adjustable Clutch Master Cylinder Kit starts leaking?
We build our Tick Performance Adjustable Clutch Master Cylinder Kits around a Tilton Racing cylinder. For years, Tilton has been known as a manufacturer of the highest quality hydraulic components in the racing industry. Since our kits were released in September of 2008, our return rate is less than 1 per 1000 shipped. We stand behind our kits 100% and if you have a failure of any sort with any Tick Performance manufactured kit, contact us and we'll swap it out for you free of charge.

8) How can the Tick Performance Adjustable Clutch Master Cylinder Kit actually SAVE me money in the long run?
By ensuring that your clutch setup is fully disengaging, you're not only improving shift speed and quality - you're also extending the life of the clutch (and we all know how expensive those get!) and extending the life of the transmission (even our cheapest rebuild is still over $1000 with shipping, etc.) Spending $309.99-339.99 on our kit now can easily save you thousands down the road in clutches that you won't have to replace and transmissions that you don't need to have rebuilt.

CLICK HERE to view our kit for the Corvette : http://www.tick-performance.com/tick...aulics/#master
CLICK HERE to view our kit for the Camaro / Trans Am : http://www.tick-performance.com/tick...aulics/#master
CLICK HERE to view our kit for the GTO : http://www.tick-performance.com/tick...aulics/#master

If you guys have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask either in this thread or via PM. For those of you that already have our kit, please post up your experience with it! I love hearing from both past and future customers, and I'd love to be able to reference this thread often when I'm asked for customer testimonials. Thanks in advance guys!
Old 10-06-2009, 02:22 PM
0Joey@Tick
Former Vendor

TTT after a few calls from C5 owners asking questions like these.
Old 10-06-2009, 03:35 PM
KCvetteowner
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Joey,
You really, really need to create a video and instructions on how to adjust the master. Many guys haven't had an adjustable master before and don't understand how the adjustment works and more importantly how NOT to adjust it... I've seen guys use the adjustment to get the clutch pedal to line up with the brake pedal.
Old 10-07-2009, 12:54 PM
0Joey@Tick
Former Vendor

Thanks for the feedback! We send out detailed instructions with every kit, although a video probably isn't a bad idea. I need to brush up on my production skills!
Old 10-11-2009, 01:25 PM
MotleyDrew
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Hi Joey

I installed a Tick Master and an ACT twin disk at the same time along with a new stock GM slave in my 2001 Z06. I am notcing that if I put the car in first or any gear for that matter and rev the engine is somtimes creeps forward making a god awful sound. Also letting the clutch out in fisrt makes this same sound if any gas is applied. I have tried adjusting the pedal out and in and can't seem to solve this. I only have about 2000 km on all the new parts. The clutch never slips but even on some down shifting I notice this noise so I am pretty sure the clutch is not fully releasing. Do you have a good adjustemnt procedure I can follow? Does this sound like anything you have heard in the past that you could help me with? Let me know

thanks very much

Drew
Old 10-12-2009, 09:27 AM
0Joey@Tick
Former Vendor

Drew, check out our Contact Us page: http://www.tick-performance.com/contactus/

Click the link that says "TECH: click here" and shoot one of our techs an email. They'll be happy to give you some ideas - I'm afraid you're over my head already!
Old 10-12-2009, 10:39 AM
MotleyDrew
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

thanks Joey !
Old 10-14-2009, 12:27 PM
0Joey@Tick
Former Vendor

You're very welcome.
Old 01-18-2010, 04:00 PM
0Joey@Tick
Former Vendor

TTT for a customer who was looking for this thread this AM
Old 06-26-2010, 01:36 PM
mrslysly
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just installed one last night. The previous owner had put in a Spec stage 2 clutch with Spec billet flywheel and Ram clutch slave and a new oem slave master. Problem this created was hard to shift into first from a dead stop and nearly impossible to get it into reverse with the engine running.

I have only had the corvette for a month so lots of it is new to me and not knowing where everything was the directions that came with the Tick clutch master were hard to follow. That and getting the quick disconnect to actually release.

WIth all that said, after the install and final adjustment the car shifts great, goes into first and reverse smoothly and high throttle shifting is a dream. Before I couldn't even make 3rd with out coasting first.

More to come, I have wedding I have to goto right now.

A great product. I would definitely recommend this to anyone who sport drives or races their vette. Well worth the money.

[edit]
For the person at Tick that made the instructions, I would definitely recommend looking at this thread to include some pictures.
http://www.z06vette.com/forums/f117/...ck-oem-114504/

Another tip that I found is that you have to get the plastic collar on the quick disconnect to slide all the way into the female coupler. The best way I found was to get the gm hydraulic quick disconnect tool from napa. It was $9 and fitted perfectly. I had to use a screw driver to help push the tool.

Last edited by mrslysly; 06-26-2010 at 04:38 PM.
Old 06-26-2010, 02:00 PM
99FRC Newb
Drifting

Received 120 Likes on 85 Posts

after breaking an MN6 and an M12 because of my damn clutch pedal sticking to the floor, i decided to buy one of these, your bleeder, and slave cylinder for my 99. its going in with my textralia clutch once my new engine is done
Old 11-17-2011, 02:27 AM
BOUT X
Corvette Cowboy
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by MotleyDrew
Hi Joey

I installed a Tick Master and an ACT twin disk at the same time along with a new stock GM slave in my 2001 Z06. I am notcing that if I put the car in first or any gear for that matter and rev the engine is somtimes creeps forward making a god awful sound. Also letting the clutch out in fisrt makes this same sound if any gas is applied. I have tried adjusting the pedal out and in and can't seem to solve this. I only have about 2000 km on all the new parts. The clutch never slips but even on some down shifting I notice this noise so I am pretty sure the clutch is not fully releasing. Do you have a good adjustemnt procedure I can follow? Does this sound like anything you have heard in the past that you could help me with? Let me know

thanks very much

Drew
Wow I think I have the same issue as this guy here any help would be great. I need the same help I think so if you could can you please lead me in the same direction you help him with PLEASE

Pops
Old 12-20-2013, 05:27 PM
c5z16z
Instructor

can i install the tick adjustable cylinder master on my c5 from over the engine, removing my brake booster out the way ?

or do i have to drop the trans ?

thanks i will order as soon as i can get an answer ..
Old 12-21-2013, 12:08 PM
Supercharged111
Safety Car

Received 472 Likes on 349 Posts

Originally Posted by c5z16z
can i install the tick adjustable cylinder master on my c5 from over the engine, removing my brake booster out the way ?

or do i have to drop the trans ?

thanks i will order as soon as i can get an answer ..
Umm, neither? Jack the car, yank the wheel, remove the rear fender plastic piece, and it's staring you in the face.
Old 12-21-2013, 04:24 PM
c5z16z
Instructor

Originally Posted by Supercharged111
Umm, neither? Jack the car, yank the wheel, remove the rear fender plastic piece, and it's staring you in the face.
what tools do i need to remove the fender well ?

thanks if its easy enough to do at home i will do it with out paying 225 for install..
Old 12-21-2013, 04:30 PM
Supercharged111
Safety Car

what tools do i need to remove the fender well ?

thanks if its easy enough to do at home i will do it with out paying 225 for install..
Basic hand tools, just dig in and before you know it, it'll be done. You will need a fuel line disconnect tool to make your life easier when separating the line on the frame rail. With the new part in hand, my words will make sense. Other than that, there's a clip holding the pin inside the car, then the MC just twists 45 degrees and pulls out. Pretty slick.
Old 12-21-2013, 05:09 PM
c5z16z
Instructor

Originally Posted by Supercharged111
Basic hand tools, just dig in and before you know it, it'll be done. You will need a fuel line disconnect tool to make your life easier when separating the line on the frame rail. With the new part in hand, my words will make sense. Other than that, there's a clip holding the pin inside the car, then the MC just twists 45 degrees and pulls out. Pretty slick.
i need to drill holes also right ?
Old 12-21-2013, 05:49 PM
Supercharged111
Safety Car

i need to drill holes also right ?
For the Tick, yes. I can't yet speak to what more is involved with installing a Tick, but when I dump the stock self-adjusting clutch I think I'll be needing one.
Old 12-21-2013, 06:07 PM
rjwz28
Safety Car

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

The group purchase on Tech will throw in the disconnect tool for $5, plus you get the MC for $279 and a free speed bleeder. Just make sure to specify your username and year and model of the car in the comments at purchase

Get notified of new replies

To A COMPREHENSIVE FAQ: The Tick Performance C5 Adjustable Clutch Master Cylinder Kit

Quick Reply: [Z06] A COMPREHENSIVE FAQ: The Tick Performance C5 Adjustable Clutch Master Cylinder Kit