Sponsored by:

[Z06] Charge Systems Faults

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2016, 03:57 PM
RiceBurnerZ07
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Charge Systems Faults

2002 Z06 with 60k - Daily Driver with a 8 month old battery. LCM5 done.

Purchased the car in April and shortly after had the dreaded pull key wait 10 seconds with the locked column so I did the LCM5 fix. I've had the "pull key wait 10 seconds" message maybe 3 times and have always been able to drive home, out of the 3 times. Once I did have the fuel shut off happen, but cleared once the key was pulled. Note: all three cases were AFTER the LCM5 fix.

Three days ago: "Pull Key wait 10 seconds" message shows up, so I pull the key and clear it and drive home without any other hiccups.

Two days ago: Jump in the car, let the gauges do their "flex" turn the key and have a "iffy" weak start that made me a little uneasy. Drive to destination and run the errands or whatever for the rest of the day without any issues.

One day ago: Get in the car, drive to my destination without any problems with no weak starts or anything, all is well. 3 hour laters, I go to move the car to allow someone out of the driveway and experience the worst start yet. It almost sounded like it wasn't going to catch but does and comes to life. I wasn't expecting this to happen so when I hit the ignition to light it off, I only held it there for a time period that it normal takes, but it didn't catch and I had let it and thought it wasn't going to start but does. (confusing, I know but it was not a normal start at all) Later that night, jump in the car to head home and it fires up like it should without any problems. Arrive home and end up having to move the car again, jump in the car and hit the key and have another weak start with the DIC displaying "Charge System Fault"

Today: Drive the car into town no problems, either way. Get home and park the car outside and install my new EE catch can and I figured I would check the cables and battery. Battery charger displays the battery at 95% charged and the cable are all clean and free of corrosion and I went ahead snugged them down. Went over to the alternator and checked all the terminals out and wires and everything seemed to be in good order. Get in the car to head back into town this afternoon, and hit the key. It just cranks and cranks without lighting off no start at all. I remove the key and try again, cranks then finally catches with the DIC showing "Charge system Faults". Car is now off the daily duty and in the garage.

Notes: I know the CC has nothing to do with it. The last few times, the gauges seems to dim and surge when you are doing the 'flex' phase of the start up. I noticed before the last start that the gauges went all the way back to zero and then jumped up and then back down. No codes or CELs. Running around town DIC shows 13.7-14.1V not reliable but indicates the alternator is putting out I believe.

Update: Got into the car and experienced another no start but crank and weird gauge movements. Long story short I've got the DIC displaying "reduced engine power, service ABS Service T/C and that whole system." No codes or CEL.

Help.

Problem solved - did the Bill C. fix with the worn out fingers and pads in the ignition. Car is fixed.

Last edited by RiceBurnerZ07; 01-02-2016 at 11:45 PM.
Old 01-06-2016, 04:25 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by RiceBurnerZ07
2002 Z06 with 60k - Daily Driver with a 8 month old battery. LCM5 done.

Purchased the car in April and shortly after had the dreaded pull key wait 10 seconds with the locked column so I did the LCM5 fix. I've had the "pull key wait 10 seconds" message maybe 3 times and have always been able to drive home, out of the 3 times. Once I did have the fuel shut off happen, but cleared once the key was pulled. Note: all three cases were AFTER the LCM5 fix.

Three days ago: "Pull Key wait 10 seconds" message shows up, so I pull the key and clear it and drive home without any other hiccups.

Two days ago: Jump in the car, let the gauges do their "flex" turn the key and have a "iffy" weak start that made me a little uneasy. Drive to destination and run the errands or whatever for the rest of the day without any issues.

One day ago: Get in the car, drive to my destination without any problems with no weak starts or anything, all is well. 3 hour laters, I go to move the car to allow someone out of the driveway and experience the worst start yet. It almost sounded like it wasn't going to catch but does and comes to life. I wasn't expecting this to happen so when I hit the ignition to light it off, I only held it there for a time period that it normal takes, but it didn't catch and I had let it and thought it wasn't going to start but does. (confusing, I know but it was not a normal start at all) Later that night, jump in the car to head home and it fires up like it should without any problems. Arrive home and end up having to move the car again, jump in the car and hit the key and have another weak start with the DIC displaying "Charge System Fault"

Today: Drive the car into town no problems, either way. Get home and park the car outside and install my new EE catch can and I figured I would check the cables and battery. Battery charger displays the battery at 95% charged and the cable are all clean and free of corrosion and I went ahead snugged them down. Went over to the alternator and checked all the terminals out and wires and everything seemed to be in good order. Get in the car to head back into town this afternoon, and hit the key. It just cranks and cranks without lighting off no start at all. I remove the key and try again, cranks then finally catches with the DIC showing "Charge system Faults". Car is now off the daily duty and in the garage.

Notes: I know the CC has nothing to do with it. The last few times, the gauges seems to dim and surge when you are doing the 'flex' phase of the start up. I noticed before the last start that the gauges went all the way back to zero and then jumped up and then back down. No codes or CELs. Running around town DIC shows 13.7-14.1V not reliable but indicates the alternator is putting out I believe.

Update: Got into the car and experienced another no start but crank and weird gauge movements. Long story short I've got the DIC displaying "reduced engine power, service ABS Service T/C and that whole system." No codes or CEL.

Help.

Problem solved - did the Bill C. fix with the worn out fingers and pads in the ignition. Car is fixed.
What????????????
Old 01-09-2016, 12:00 PM
RiceBurnerZ07
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ch-repair.html

Typical C5 failures.

Get notified of new replies

To Charge Systems Faults

Quick Reply: [Z06] Charge Systems Faults