Sponsored by:

[Z06] New brakes and rotors

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2016, 01:06 AM
Corvette_D
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Default New brakes and rotors

I have a 2003 C5 Z06 with a little over 48k miles. I believe I'm still on the original pads and rotors (I'm the third owner - bought the car when it had just under 16k miles on it). The pads need to be replaced, and I would like to replace the rotors as well. I like to keep my car as stock as possible, so I want to buy the OEM pads and rotors. I mainly do autocrossing, and I might start going on road courses a few times a year. I figured the stock pads and rotors would be fine for this.

I'm looking on this site here for the original parts: http://www.gmpartshouse.com/auto-par...ine/brakes-cat

I have a few questions:

1) Do you think I should get different aftermarket rotors and pads based on what I'm doing with the car?

2) I should only need to buy pads and rotors (i.e. no hub and bearing, hoses, etc), right? I'm asking because the site linked above has all kinds of other parts listed as well. This will be my first time changing the pads and rotors on this car, and it's been a while since I've changed pads to begin with, so I want to make sure I'm not missing any parts when it gets time to put them on. I've had all the fluids in the car changed a few years ago around the 30k mark, so I don't think I need to change brake fluid, but please let me know if I should.

Here are the part numbers of the things I want to buy:
19181427 FRONT PADS
19259589 REAR PADS
10445856 ROTOR, RIGHT
10445857 ROTOR, LEFT
10445858 ROTOR, RIGHT
10445859 ROTOR, LEFT
Old 06-26-2016, 08:00 AM
Blownchevelle68
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

A friend ran a Powerstop brake kit which had 4 drilled and slotted rotors and pads on his '99. Never did any track time with them but said it performed very well and the rotors didn't rust as quickly as some of the higher end ones he purchased before. Only had around $350 in the entire setup.

Here is a good review of Powerstop Track Day rotors and pads from an autocross forum.

http://trackspe.nextmp.net/blog/powerstop_testing/
The following users liked this post:
Corvette_D (06-26-2016)
Old 06-28-2016, 07:32 AM
spdislife
Le Mans Master

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

If you're planning on doing any HPDEs, forget the stock pads and especially drilled rotors! Centric seems to be a popular reasonable priced rotor for OEM brakes. I know a lot of guys who started out on Hawk HPS pads and I even run them on my Camry. Carbotech XP10s is what I used in the front and XP8 on the rears when I started.

In the future, any track questions will be better answered in the autocrossing/roadracing section on the forum. Here's a link to a sticky for track preperations. It has a ton of info and even though some of it may be dated I'm sure you'll find it useful. Have fun and stay safe!

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...e-learned.html

Edit: When you track the car you'll also want to flush the brake fluid and use a good DOT 4 brand.

Last edited by spdislife; 06-28-2016 at 08:04 AM.
Corvette_D (06-29-2016)
Old 06-29-2016, 01:47 PM
mwestc5
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

I 2nd spdislife: Keep Away From Drilled Rotors, not worth the $. You can go with an OEM type rotor or even slotted if you want. But, drilled can lead to potential problems.

I've been using Hawk Pads for years. Started with regular Hawks then moved to HP+, then to Black, Blue and DTC's. For your needs the HP+ would be perfect. Good for street and track/Auto X. I can't comment on any other brands as I've only used Hawks the past 10 years.
But--definitely don't waste your $ on drilled rotors.

Last edited by mwestc5; 06-29-2016 at 01:48 PM.
Corvette_D (06-29-2016)

Get notified of new replies

To New brakes and rotors

Quick Reply: [Z06] New brakes and rotors