Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[Z06] What's your thoughts on lifting the your Z like this...

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2017, 09:01 AM
C5Dobie
Drifting

Received 155 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Moto One
I can show you where the jack point have bent in (with pucks) and your twisting the frame at those points (think about it). Also jacking on the brittle Alum parts isn't such a good idea ether.
Each to their own.

Mark
The "brittle" AL parts??? They're fairly thick automotive grade AL castings. They don't just break in 1/2 when you jack up on them....& they're structural, very stiff & have numerous mounting locations for other structural & non-structural parts of the car....not to mention they're listed in the manual as "alternative jacking locations"

Old 04-23-2017, 07:18 PM
fxdl
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MY03C5Z
That kid is a moron for jacking it up in the middle of the body, it's not a pickup truck lol. Yes it does have frame rails on both sides but gm specified 4 specific jacking locations on the frame rails for a reason. I don't even use those. I have only ever jacked mine by the engine cradle and the rear diff cradle using a 2x6 and a floor jack. When lifted I support the car by the front and rear cradle. Lifting in the middle of the door like that could screw up the whole door opening structure I would imagine. It's videos like this that made me find a one owner car, owned by an older guy. You never know what some clowns like this kid have done to the car...sheesh
Not going to hurt the frame at all. c5 frames are super strong. Jacking at the puck areas is fine but will actually flex the frame more than where he did it. No problem though
Old 04-24-2017, 01:51 AM
striper
Le Mans Master

Received 246 Likes on 215 Posts

I have never tried jacking at the side lift points and since my car is lowered with side skirts too, I couldn't get a jack under the rocker panels anyway. I have always jacked my car by using the cradles, front and rear. Just did it today to change oil and the fuel filter with no problems as usual. I have to use homemade wooden mini ramps in front just to get the jack under the front.
Old 04-24-2017, 08:31 AM
MY03C5Z
Race Director

Received 195 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by fxdl
Not going to hurt the frame at all. c5 frames are super strong. Jacking at the puck areas is fine but will actually flex the frame more than where he did it. No problem though
Ok apparently a lot of guys do this, I found that pretty surprising. I get that there is a full steel frame rail there, just sounded like a really risky way to jack the car to me. I'll stick with the front and rear cradles myself. I'm used to working on unibody cars and jacking in the middle just sounded like a bad idea. Hey whatever works for everyone else, doesn't matter to me.
Old 04-24-2017, 08:55 PM
Moto One
Drifting

Received 164 Likes on 101 Posts

Here in the triangle is where you can place your jack, it's the CG spot and lifts both F&R at the same time.

Mark

Quick Reply: [Z06] What's your thoughts on lifting the your Z like this...