Sponsored by:

[Z06] Exhaust advice, Please help!

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2017, 04:35 PM
AnthonyZ0620
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Exhaust advice, Please help!

Hi everyone. On my c5 z06 I currently have TSP long tube headers, Catless x pipe, and borla straight pipes. The car is just a tiny bit too loud and it sounds choppy, it doesn't sound fluent. I have a couple options of what I can do, and I am looking for your opinion.

1) Put on the borla h pipe I have laying around from my XR-1 system, this would replace the catless X-pipe.

2) Go to my local muffler shop and see if they can slap on a resonator or 2 for 120$.

3) Put on stock TI muffler, But I am worried it will be too raspy

I like the way the car sounds from 4-6k rpm, it sounds like a race car. But 2-3k sounds choppy and doesn't sound right. I am not looking to spend a crazy amount, that is why buying another catback or gettinig high flow cats are not in my options.

Goal: To get the car to sound mean, loud (but not as loud as it is right now), and to sound fluent and not be so choppy. I hope I made enough sense for people to relate and help. Thank you.
Old 06-21-2017, 05:23 PM
grantv
Le Mans Master

Received 535 Likes on 491 Posts

1 - Will probably make it louder and more throaty. X pipe is generally smoother, more "fluent"
2 - I wouldn't
3 - I would. Mufflers man, you need some mufflers. Or try some other brand used.
Old 06-21-2017, 06:26 PM
zeevette
Race Director

Received 288 Likes on 235 Posts

The newer version of the Borla S-Typell has loud when you touch the pedal, but less/maybe no, resonance, which, (I believe) is this "unfluent" thing you're talking about.
Old 06-21-2017, 11:18 PM
ZO6 cracker
Drifting

Received 693 Likes on 404 Posts

I just sold my Borla S Type 2 that was on my Z06. Did not want that loudness anymore. Sounded good but now that I have headers I put my Ti back on. Like the sound now.
Old 06-22-2017, 09:44 AM
NosLaser
Le Mans Master

Received 63 Likes on 49 Posts

I'd throw out the option of the XS Power cat back. Recently installed on my Z and I love it. Check out some sound clips on YouTube and see if it sounds like what you are looking for.
Old 06-22-2017, 12:35 PM
jerkyboy
Melting Slicks

Received 185 Likes on 84 Posts

I've been very happy with the sound of my Borla ATAK mufflers. No drone inside and fairly quiet until you mash the pedal and they come alive.
Old 06-22-2017, 09:15 PM
Stroker87
Melting Slicks

Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts

i was in the same boat my exhaust was to loud swapped to a BB rt66 and it was to quite so i did the by pass mod every one does on the stock titanium and love it car sounds nice get complements all the time

12" resonators & loud mufflers work well with these LSx engine the resonator will tame it and change the tone i done that to my z28 car sound dam good at idle nice low rumble a little raspy around 3k where i would shift at get a nice crackle then deep tone with clutch released WOT was loud and deep
Old 06-23-2017, 11:59 AM
AnthonyZ0620
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have decided to take it one step at a time. I planned to swap out my borla straight pipes and return back to the stock ti exhaust, I will finally have 4 tips back. And from the videos I have seen on youtube it sounds pretty good, it will sound more like a loud corvette with an actual "tone" compared to a corvette that everyone can tell seems to be straight piped with no tone. If i dont like the sound, i will do the bypass mod, and if I still dont like the sound then I will add the borla resonator I have and pray its good after all that. I will keep you guys updated though in about a week when I find time to do it. Thank you for input though!
Old 06-23-2017, 12:48 PM
grantv
Le Mans Master

Received 535 Likes on 491 Posts

Definitely post back, with before and after vids if possible. Lots of people flop around trying to get the sound they want, myself included. I am 95% content with my TSP headers, Magnaflow cats and X pipe into the factory titanium system, just a tad louder would be ideal.

Get notified of new replies

To Exhaust advice, Please help!

Quick Reply: [Z06] Exhaust advice, Please help!