Sponsored by:

[Z06] Need help buying a C5 Z06

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2017, 10:35 AM
hockeyman474
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Need help buying a C5 Z06

I am going to look at a 2002 C5 Z06 this weekend. I have done some research, I have a more mechanically inclined friend of mine coming with me and I am talking to an experienced Corvette auto-crosser tonight.

I am looking for feedback on the below build and also anything I should look out for, special questions I should ask, etc. I am new to the forum and a complete Corvette newbie. I own and work on my own Jeep Wrangler but I would consider them extremely easy to work on.

The Z06 I am going to look at is a modded silver 2002 with a clean title and 86,000 miles, but has been in an accident labeled as minor and was in the front of the vehicle and looks to be repaired extremely well in photos.

Here are the specifics to this Corvette:
Texas speed ms3 cam (roughly 1500-2000 miles on it)
PAC .660 dual valve springs titanium retainers
Hardened pushrods
Kooks 1 7/8 long tube headers
Kooks 3 inch catless x pipe
Ghl bullet exhaust
Monster level 3 clutch and flywheel package
Rated at 700rwhp/700rwtq included remote clutch bleeder and new throwout bearing/slave cylinder
Upgraded timing chain and ported oil pump
Vararam intake
Ngk tr6 spark plugs
Drilled and slotted rotors zinc coated
Ceramic brake pads

It was tuned by a reputable local shop to me. At the time of the cam install and tune, the following items were changed:
Front main seal
Front cover gasket
Cam plate gasket
Water pump seals
Valve cover gaskets
Moog outer tie rods and alignment

This is a quote from the seller, "No check engine light on the dash. there is an airbag light that comes and goes when it pleases but that is very common for these car and of course anything can be addressed."
Attached Images       

Last edited by hockeyman474; 07-13-2017 at 10:37 AM.
Old 07-13-2017, 12:53 PM
C5Dobie
Drifting

Received 155 Likes on 113 Posts

ask for a dyno sheet and better yet - call the place that did the build & ask about the car/get a feel for the quality of their work.

Looks all legit to me, clean car especially for the mileage w/ some of the most tasteful mods you'd want on a C5Z that shouldn't lower value compared to a stock car & in some people's minds may increase value. Also looks like a lot of maintenance has been done.

Look for oil leak rear main seal (which was probably replaced during cam anyhow), ensure no whine/chatter from diff, ensure clutch pedal doesn't stick & works properly, see if it has a speed bleeder for the clutch if its aftermarket it may.

Make sure tires are decent if not would be a dock on the price.
Old 07-13-2017, 01:24 PM
hockeyman474
Instructor

Originally Posted by C5Dobie
ask for a dyno sheet and better yet - call the place that did the build & ask about the car/get a feel for the quality of their work.

Looks all legit to me, clean car especially for the mileage w/ some of the most tasteful mods you'd want on a C5Z that shouldn't lower value compared to a stock car & in some people's minds may increase value. Also looks like a lot of maintenance has been done.

Look for oil leak rear main seal (which was probably replaced during cam anyhow), ensure no whine/chatter from diff, ensure clutch pedal doesn't stick & works properly, see if it has a speed bleeder for the clutch if its aftermarket it may.

Make sure tires are decent if not would be a dock on the price.
He send the dyno sheet via text. It made 433whp and 405wtq. Thanks for your feedback! Hoping others feel the same way and it looks this clean in person!
Old 07-13-2017, 01:42 PM
3sACROWD
Melting Slicks

Received 449 Likes on 330 Posts

There are stickies in the General section you should read about buying a Vette. It is good info no matter which version you buy. Also, learn how to pull the codes. It is a very easy procedure. Just time consuming to type on a phone. Print a list of codes and compare to what is displayed.

Bottom line, trust your gut. If it looks right, feels right, and price is good, buy it. If not, walk. This is a car you want. You don't need it so wait until you find the right one and you won't regret it.

Good luck!!!
Old 07-13-2017, 05:39 PM
02BlownZ06
Drifting

Received 406 Likes on 311 Posts

How much is it?
Old 07-13-2017, 06:42 PM
hockeyman474
Instructor

Originally Posted by 02BlownZ06
How much is it?
good point, I should probably mention that. The seller is asking $16,500. It was listed a month ago at $18k.
Old 07-14-2017, 06:05 AM
Swoop Dogg
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

That's pretty cheap. I know mods don't add value but either somethings wrong or he just wants a quick sale.
Old 07-14-2017, 07:53 AM
hockeyman474
Instructor

Originally Posted by Swoop Dogg
That's pretty cheap. I know mods don't add value but either somethings wrong or he just wants a quick sale.
He wants a quick sale. He wants to use the money from the sale as a down payment on a house.
Old 07-14-2017, 09:19 AM
02BlownZ06
Drifting

Received 406 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by hockeyman474
good point, I should probably mention that. The seller is asking $16,500. It was listed a month ago at $18k.
I would say 16K is a pretty good deal for that car. If you look it over, test drive it, check everything as well as possible and still want the car, why not throw 15K at him and see if he'll bite? That would be a really good deal at 15k.
Old 07-14-2017, 12:39 PM
ArmchairArchitect
Banned Scam/Spammer

Location: Philadelphia PA (Birthplace of the USA, UNESCO World Heritage City)
Received 3,916 Likes on 1,616 Posts

Just a heads up, that Monster clutch may be borderline undriveable on the street. Checked out a Z06 once with one, it was literally the heaviest clutch I ever used, and this is including years of driving clutch-cable Mustangs.
Old 07-14-2017, 01:42 PM
hockeyman474
Instructor

Originally Posted by ArmchairArchitect
Just a heads up, that Monster clutch may be borderline undriveable on the street. Checked out a Z06 once with one, it was literally the heaviest clutch I ever used, and this is including years of driving clutch-cable Mustangs.
Definitely interesting to know. Thanks for the feedback!

Side note: how do people feel about the value/asking price? I spoke with a Corvette guy last night and he said he feels it's pretty high. He sold a C5 Z06 last month with more miles but in overall cleaner condition and no accidents for $13,500. The one I am going to look at has had 5 owners. I just don't want to over pay or insult the seller.
Old 07-14-2017, 01:56 PM
dbgoodwin
Safety Car

Received 751 Likes on 540 Posts

Originally Posted by hockeyman474
Definitely interesting to know. Thanks for the feedback!

Side note: how do people feel about the value/asking price? I spoke with a Corvette guy last night and he said he feels it's pretty high. He sold a C5 Z06 last month with more miles but in overall cleaner condition and no accidents for $13,500. The one I am going to look at has had 5 owners. I just don't want to over pay or insult the seller.
It definitely isn't high if its in good shape, your corvette guy got screwed selling a z06 for 13500 if it was very clean... At least in my area.

A friend just sold his for $20500 in clean condition with about the same miles as the one you're looking at, if that makes any difference to you. If the car is clean and in good shape, $16500 is dirt cheap for it in my opinion.
Old 07-14-2017, 02:03 PM
hockeyman474
Instructor

Originally Posted by dbgoodwin
It definitely isn't high if its in good shape, your corvette guy got screwed selling a z06 for 13500 if it was very clean... At least in my area.

A friend just sold his for $20500 in clean condition with about the same miles as the one you're looking at, if that makes any difference to you. If the car is clean and in good shape, $16500 is dirt cheap for it in my opinion.
Thanks! What about with the mods? Obviously, "mods don't add value," but I have also heard that they make actually decrease the value of it.
Old 07-14-2017, 06:53 PM
jonnyc
Pro

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

looks like its a good buy.just look it all over and drive it make sure you get it up to temp.

Last edited by jonnyc; 07-14-2017 at 06:56 PM.
Old 07-14-2017, 08:42 PM
Stroker87
Melting Slicks

Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts

there is a LOT of stuff to look for with any c5 surprised no one mentioned any?

these cars have water leaks both of my c5 Z's did need to feel the front carpets all the way up to the firewall and the trunk lower cubs, the trans & diff are known to leak, A/C display dim light or no lights, LSx engines are known to push oil out of the seals when driven HARD like the oil pan, valley cover & front/rear covers (sign of hard engine life), heads up disply problems, if that car has been driven hard sometimes the transmission syncros grind going in to gear every time under normal driving others only do it when aggressive driving ($2k to $3k repair), hot clutch issues when the car is driven aggressive some times by the time you go to shift in 3rd or 4th gear you have loss of clutch peddle for 10 to 20 seconds, notorious for bad grounds makes the electronics do weird stuff

with all that said there not bad cars! very reliable but have common things like any car that might need to be addressed, for $16k "if" its not a dog its a good buy but if you find any of the problems i mentioned i would use them to haggle "if" you like and want the car, highly unlikely this car has all these issues mentioned but might have some then again maybe the previous owners fixed them? best to know those before you purchase

google "c5 check DTC codes" you will see how to check the onboard computer for hidden codes that do not set the check engine light (you probably find a few but nothing to really worry about) google the codes that come up tho to know

i learned 3 years ago about something called corvette TAX its sticker shock from repair cost and parts! for instants i just had a new clutch, trans work & changed my rear end gear cost $5k headers $1,500+ for a decent set, mufflers $500 to $1500 depending on brand

the cars are easy to work on (unless removing engine or trans) so if your a "do it yourself" type you'll enjoy the car very much
Old 07-15-2017, 11:55 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

some good tips
if a guy wants a modded one then buying one done is worth it
the guy that wants a stock one wont bother with it imo so the value thing is up to you/seller
like the others said if its still in good shape and not dogged to death consider it. Buying a stock one and doing all the mods will cost.
Old 07-15-2017, 12:01 PM
Georgies
Burning Brakes

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Check that the etched vin # is intacted on the passenger frame rail.

Get notified of new replies

To Need help buying a C5 Z06

Old 07-15-2017, 04:04 PM
Stroker87
Melting Slicks

Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
some good tips
if a guy wants a modded one then buying one done is worth it
the guy that wants a stock one wont bother with it imo so the value thing is up to you/seller
like the others said if its still in good shape and not dogged to death consider it. Buying a stock one and doing all the mods will cost.
agree! if you want to upgrade the performance then buying a stock un-touched car is going to cost you way more then buying a modded one

my current 01z was modded with about $8K to 10k or so in performance mods and i bought it way less then what a stock car is going for at the time so not only did i get a better deal but saved a bunch of time and money that i would of modding a stock c5z so for me it was worth it, but if your making it an investment to tie up some cash and need or worried about resale value then you want a 100% stock one

i never leave any thing stock so it was worth me picking up a modded car plus i know enough about these LSx engine to tell a good one from bad
Old 07-16-2017, 09:52 AM
Paul 75 L82
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Looks like a good price
Old 07-16-2017, 01:42 PM
Stephen7
Intermediate

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

Check if the column lock bypass was done with a LMC5 and if the HUD was ever fixed both things on my 2002 Z06 went out within a few months apart easy fixes but will happen. search this forum.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Need help buying a C5 Z06