Sponsored by:

[Z06] adjusting ride height with Aldan Coilovers

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2018, 04:58 PM
caslerst
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default adjusting ride height with Aldan Coilovers

Can anyone give me a quick rundown on how to do this? It seems like for the fronts the only way is compressing the spring with the spanner to lower it. On the back you untwist the lower mount to raise the rear.

Is that all there is to it? Am I missing anything?

Thanks!
Old 01-15-2018, 08:37 PM
6speedsteve
Drifting

Received 486 Likes on 311 Posts

In front the spring perch is used to lower or raise the car based on what I see, counter clockwise to add preload & raise, clockwise to decrease preload & lower.

And yes the base in the rear is used to raise or lower, and there may be some adjustment from the spring perch also for more adjustment, but 2" is plenty in the rear.

I am not sure how much drop is already designed into the front, or what the total shock stroke is so if you go too high or too low you could top out or bottom out the shock affecting your ride quality. Best bet is to call Aldan to get that info.

This is from another thread in the C6 section.

Reinstall sway bar and drop the front! This is where I ran into some trouble. These coilovers are advertised as 0.0-2.0 inch drop. The rear went on without a hitch and had plenty of room for adjustment. At 1/2" preload I was sitting WAY low. However, up front I didn't have the same experience. Setting the front coilovers to 1/2" preload gave me 3 fingers of wheel gap between the tire and fender. I backed them off to just a touch of preload, so they weren't loose, still about 2 fingers of wheel gap. So, I decided to expiriment, I dropped the front adjustment ALL THE WAY DOWN. Literally not a thread left going down. These left the springs loose with about 1" of wiggle room before the car sat on them. I don't like them being loose at all. The stance achieved with the fronts all the way down at no preload is pictured below. Front fenders currently sitting at 24&3/4" and 25&1/2". The side to side is reflected in the frame rails as well. But I haven't adjusted them till I figure out what I'm going to do.

After having this problem I emailed Aldan American. Garrett Harmola responded to me. I sent this email at 0715HRs on Sunday morning. I received an email back from him around noon ON A SUNDAY. An email responding to a tech problem on a sunday from the president of the company, that's amazing customer service. I asked Garrett about the lack of adjustment up front as compared to the rear. Garrett had me verify that I had a 9" 500lb spring up front, which I do. I asked Garrett if an 8" spring would help me at all, obviously I'll get more adjustment down, but does that mean I'll be able to retain any preload and get the car lower? I don't know that why I've asked Garrett. Garrett informed me he was going to forward my questions to his lead tech and have an answer for me tomorrow, Monday. So that's where I'm at now. If it comes down to it I may just set the fronts with minimal preload maybe 1/4" and use that as my "lowest setting" then adjust the rears up to match the height. This modification is more cosmetic than practical for me, not a big racer. So differing preloads isn't a big deal to me, I'm not going to have the car corner balanced or track it. I couldn't afford the insurance or heartache if I crashed it into a cone on the track!

Quick Reply: [Z06] adjusting ride height with Aldan Coilovers