C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Paint Chip

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2005, 03:29 PM
C6at52
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Paint Chip

Finshed washing the PR C6 yesterday. Was putting on Z6 today and noticed two rock chips on the hood. How depressing to see the two ships on the hood. The three coats of Z5 and three coats of Z2 really make the chips stand out. Guess with out the Zaino coats the chips would have beem worse. I try not to follow other vehicles in the C6 to prevent paint chips. Guess if we drive and enjoy our C6 we will get those darn chips and other road damage.
Old 02-27-2005, 03:40 PM
Corvette Junkie
Night Race Blue 427
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Muncie, Indiana ...... Can I buy an amplifier on time ... I ani't got no money now but I'll pay you before I die
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I found a rather big one on my front bumper yesterday. Now waiting on some touchup paint to get here.
Old 02-27-2005, 03:49 PM
C6&SOLD
Instructor

Default paint chip & Langka

Originally Posted by C6at52
Finshed washing the PR C6 yesterday. Was putting on Z6 today and noticed two rock chips on the hood. How depressing to see the two ships on the hood. The three coats of Z5 and three coats of Z2 really make the chips stand out. Guess with out the Zaino coats the chips would have beem worse. I try not to follow other vehicles in the C6 to prevent paint chips. Guess if we drive and enjoy our C6 we will get those darn chips and other road damage.

Has anyone used Langka on chips. Sounds like what you need?

http://www.dri-wash.com/eti/instructions.htm
Old 02-27-2005, 03:54 PM
BigJag
Pro

How far up the hood are the chips? Wondering if 3m invisible bra would have prevented this. I think it goes about 10 inches up the hood. I'm going to 3m (installation in 2 weeks) because no matter how hard you try this stuff happens. I just sold a Jaguar that was beautiful except for the front of the hood were it looked like some took a machine gun full of stones to it. And I never drove the car in the winter and never followed close.
Old 02-27-2005, 05:22 PM
fins4284
Pro

Originally Posted by C6&SOLD
Has anyone used Langka on chips. Sounds like what you need?
i've used Langka with great success.
Old 02-27-2005, 05:29 PM
jmess
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have 3M on my Lexi. I have been happy with it. Due to the shape of the car I still get chips on the upper part of the hood that isn't protected. I have the full hood, fenders, bumper, and head light package.

The 3M stuff is pretty tough but I have even found some places were rocks have pitted it. I have had the stuff on for 3 years now and don't see in discoloration even on the HIDs. The only issue is you have to clean the wax build up along the edges. On a blue car like I have you can see the edge more if you don't. Pretty easy to clean with a toothpick.

I plan on having my white C6 done when it gets here. It ain't cheap but it beats having to repaint the nose in the future.
Old 02-27-2005, 05:46 PM
C6at52
Advanced

Originally Posted by BigJag
How far up the hood are the chips? Wondering if 3m invisible bra would have prevented this. I think it goes about 10 inches up the hood. I'm going to 3m (installation in 2 weeks) because no matter how hard you try this stuff happens. I just sold a Jaguar that was beautiful except for the front of the hood were it looked like some took a machine gun full of stones to it. And I never drove the car in the winter and never followed close.
At least half way up. Bra would not have helped.
Old 02-27-2005, 07:20 PM
CROSSRAMZ
Instructor

From what I've seen....most Vettes look worse with a bra than a few stone chips ....the ONLY bra I want on my Vette would be a lace one .......hanging on the inside mirror... ........there's worse things in life to get ulcers over ..
Old 02-28-2005, 04:58 PM
JFTaylor
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06
Default Go 3M Clear

Originally Posted by CROSSRAMZ
From what I've seen....most Vettes look worse with a bra than a few stone chips ....the ONLY bra I want on my Vette would be a lace one .......hanging on the inside mirror... ........there's worse things in life to get ulcers over ..
My cars and my women don't wear bras
Old 02-28-2005, 08:46 PM
Corvette Junkie
Night Race Blue 427
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Muncie, Indiana ...... Can I buy an amplifier on time ... I ani't got no money now but I'll pay you before I die

Originally Posted by ROBMCII
WHATS 3M ? Sorry I'm new , but love my C6
It's a clear plastic film that you can have applied to parts of you car.
Old 02-28-2005, 08:46 PM
JFTaylor
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06
Default 3M Web Site

Originally Posted by ROBMCII
WHATS 3M ? Sorry I'm new , but love my C6
There are 2 basic types of clear plastic protection. 3M is glued to the surface. Others like Clear Static adhere like Saran Wrap. Now the Clear Static guy is going to blast me again but there have been reports of it coming off unintentionally. I’m going with 3M. Search posts on 3M and posts by EHS over the past 4 mos. He gives quite a tutorial.
Old 02-28-2005, 08:53 PM
Corvette Junkie
Night Race Blue 427
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by JFTaylor
Now the Clear Static guy is going to blast me again but there have been reports of it coming off unintentionally.

Forget about coming unintentionally. I bought some for a C5 and could even get to stick on at all. Ended up just throwing it away.
Old 02-28-2005, 09:10 PM
AC54ME
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
CI 6-7-8-9 Veteran
CI-VI Car Show Winner
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

Those first or second chips are the worse. Makes you want to cry.

As you note, if you drive 'em, this situation will eventually affect you.

Remember, they can be fixed. How large are they? Have you looked in to touch up paint (before all the flames, it is a short term solution).
Old 03-01-2005, 08:21 AM
1subject70sheets
Racer

The installer that did my car has info on the 3M Paint Protection Film on their site. link
Old 03-01-2005, 08:35 AM
Z064life
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '06

Finshed washing the PR C6 yesterday. Was putting on Z6 today and noticed two rock chips on the hood. How depressing to see the two ships on the hood . The three coats of Z5 and three coats of Z2 really make the chips stand out. Guess with out the Zaino coats the chips would have beem worse. I try not to follow other vehicles in the C6 to prevent paint chips. Guess if we drive and enjoy our C6 we will get those darn chips and other road damage.
DAMN two SHIPS. You better get those off. I hope your insurance takes care of the damage. Post some pics. BTW. I'm interested to hear the story how they got there. I know Zaino is good, but the lawyers probably left out ship protection
Old 03-01-2005, 08:39 AM
Karfever
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by JFTaylor
My cars and my women don't wear bras

Life is good!
Old 03-01-2005, 09:37 AM
Buster1
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, I just got my first chip. Right dead on the lower intake chin...about as big as a BB. Took the paint with it, so now there is a black plastic visible on my silver car. Looks like a big bug permanently stuck on there.

Anyone know the best place to order touchup paint?

Get notified of new replies

To Paint Chip

Quick Reply: Paint Chip