C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is ARCO gas really bad for a C6????

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2005, 12:41 PM
dvarapala
Making CFOT Great Again
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 89 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by calemasters
Currently, Top Tier Detergent Gasoline Standards are meet by:

Chevron
QuikTrip (not to be confused with KwikTrip)
Conoco
Phippips 66
Shell
Entec
MFA Oil Company
Seems odd that Chevron on the list but Texaco is not...

Last edited by dvarapala; 04-24-2005 at 12:58 PM.
Old 04-24-2005, 02:03 PM
shopdog
Race Director

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by rm50
I have owned 4 vettes over the last 10 years. I have never given any thought to where I buy my gas. It is always the most convienant place around. I have never had any bad gas or had any loss of performance because of the gas. Am I lucky or is all gas basically the same?
Aside from small differences in the detergent packages added to the gas by the delivery truck driver, all gas of a given octane rating in any particular locality is the same, comes out of the same million gallon tank at the pipeline terminal. Over time, use of a Top Tier gas will pay off in reduced deposits, because Top Tier vendors use more detergent than is requred by the EPA. But that's the only difference, other than price, between the various brands.

Now gas does vary *by region*. Volatility may be different, it may contain oxygenates for smog abatement, etc. But all gas in a given area will be the same formulation. Again, the only difference is the couple of Kool Aid sized packs of detergent added by the truck driver to each 10,000 gallon load.
Old 04-24-2005, 03:15 PM
chevysales
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mlongo99
Arco isn't a "top tier" gasolene. That means there really is a difference in the amount of added detergents. I'd avoid it unless you don't mind risking a broken fuel sending unit. And if you plan on keeping your vette for a while, wouldn't you feel better knowing that you used fuel that helps clean the motor?
top tier info
#04-06-04-047D - (March 17, 2005)

http://corvettemechanic.com/board/in...T&f=20&t=2110&

many thanx to corvettemechanic.
Old 04-24-2005, 03:16 PM
Lerxst2112
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Zig

one way to tell if the filters are getting full is how fast the gas dispenses. the slower the fuel rate the fuller the filters are.
That is damned useful information and explains a couple of things. My C5 sending unit started acting up after I filled up at a station (a few times, admittedly...) where the pumps were slower than Christmas. I never correlated this before, and never even thought about them having a filter that could be clogged... Have since been going to Shell 93 only and I think it's cleaning the crud off... gauge is starting to act a bit closer to normal.

Thanks!
Old 04-24-2005, 03:49 PM
mokaro
Instructor

The one time I filled up my tank with a non-Top Tier, I got the FSU problem (crazy fuel gauge + Service Fuel System message)

I am going to stick with Top Tier's as published even given the fact GM designed the Fuel Sender cards with little or no tolerance to anything but top notch stuff.
Old 04-24-2005, 03:56 PM
Mr Mojo
Elite Torch Red Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Cental/South NJ Events Coordinator
CI 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12 Vet
CI-II Burnout & Drag Champ
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07

Originally Posted by GGWOODY
Went out with a girl for a while that worked for an environmental company that monitored gas station safety and regulatory. She said that in SoCal, all gass comes from 3 refineries. The additives are the same; any difference is in your head...whether it be chevron, mobil, shell, arco, or thrifty..it's all the same and even if they don't advert the additives they are in there. This is the case in Southern Caifornia, I don't know about the rwest of the country. Since this chick spent 6 hrs a day auditing andmonitoring gas stations, I'll take her word for it...and she was HOT!!!
It's true for NJ as well.
Old 04-24-2005, 04:58 PM
JWD01
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by black783
If any one uses ARCO on a regular basis and has not had a problem let me know. The reason I'm interested is that this is the easiest station for me to go to.....
I've put Arco in everything from my C5 to my lawnmower and have never had a problem. My truck has 80K miles with nothing but Arco gas with NO problems. Those who say it all comes from the same place are correct. Those who say one's better than the other, buy into all the marketing hype. As far as the secret additive being put in by the driver (a little packet into 5000 gallons),
Old 04-24-2005, 10:21 PM
kenhaim
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JWD01
I've put Arco in everything from my C5 to my lawnmower and have never had a problem. My truck has 80K miles with nothing but Arco gas with NO problems. Those who say it all comes from the same place are correct. Those who say one's better than the other, buy into all the marketing hype. As far as the secret additive being put in by the driver (a little packet into 5000 gallons),
Old 04-24-2005, 10:39 PM
stanleyp
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just north of Boston, there is an "oil farm" (fuel tanks).
Watch the tractor trailer tankers fill up from the same pump and then deliver to all the different brand gas stations.
End of story.

Quick Reply: Is ARCO gas really bad for a C6????