C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No sound from radio

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2005, 09:59 AM
NoWayJose
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No sound from radio

Does anybody knows if GM came up with a fix for the "no sound from radio" issue? I was told that it is a SW related problem and a fix was available but the dealer does not seems to know about it. Please advice
Old 05-17-2005, 10:46 AM
FLC6
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

I would like to know as well.
Old 05-17-2005, 12:03 PM
StanNH
Le Mans Master

Received 1,221 Likes on 411 Posts

I can give you a temporary fix. Just shut the radio off before you turn off the ignition. If you only turn on the radio after you start the car, you'll never have the muting problem.

I've had a new radio on order forever with my dealer. GM is authorizing replacements for radios that have this issue. It's a software problem but nobody has figured out how to just reprogram the radio.
Old 05-17-2005, 12:11 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by StanNH
I can give you a temporary fix. Just shut the radio off before you turn off the ignition. If you only turn on the radio after you start the car, you'll never have the muting problem.

I've had a new radio on order forever with my dealer. GM is authorizing replacements for radios that have this issue. It's a software problem but nobody has figured out how to just reprogram the radio.
No, that's not true, Stan. My radio sound dropout occurred 3 times, and all 3 times, I shut the radio off before I killed the engine. When I turned it back on after starting the engine, no sound.

The 2nd time it happened, I took it to the dealer and killed the engine when I went in to talk to the service manager. They could not duplicate the problem.

The 3rd time it happened, I left the engine running and the silent radio turned on when I went inside to get the service manager. This time, they were able to pull the code and reprogram the radio. They did say that if it happened again, they would replace the radio.

It's only been about a month ago, but so far, so good.
Old 05-17-2005, 12:19 PM
Braced
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just courious, is it the base level sound system, the 6 cd Bose, or the Nav & Bose set up you guys are referring to?
Old 05-17-2005, 12:28 PM
StanNH
Le Mans Master

Received 1,221 Likes on 411 Posts

Originally Posted by SilverCoupe
No, that's not true, Stan. My radio sound dropout occurred 3 times, and all 3 times, I shut the radio off before I killed the engine. When I turned it back on after starting the engine, no sound.

The 2nd time it happened, I took it to the dealer and killed the engine when I went in to talk to the service manager. They could not duplicate the problem.

The 3rd time it happened, I left the engine running and the silent radio turned on when I went inside to get the service manager. This time, they were able to pull the code and reprogram the radio. They did say that if it happened again, they would replace the radio.

It's only been about a month ago, but so far, so good.
Yikes! I've been using this techique since I first had the problem in November and have never had it mute that way. If I start the car with the radio on, it will be muted about half the time.

I'm still waiting for my replacement. The dealer says it will be in this month, so I'll be curious to see if that fixes this problem.

All in all, this is a really weird thing to have happen to a radio.
Old 05-17-2005, 11:06 PM
NoWayJose
Advanced

Thanks for the inputs. I'll try shutting the radio off for now but definitely will continue pursue a fix with the GM guys. I wish they come up with a fix soon that does not require taking out the radio unit which might cause future rattling in the dash.
Old 05-17-2005, 11:39 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Just for your added info., I've got the XM radio, no Nav. I'm hoping the reprogramming of my radio will fix mine permanently. They didn't have to remove anything to reprogram it. However, the next step is to replace the radio if this doesn't work.
Old 05-18-2005, 12:50 AM
digicom1
Instructor

mine happend 3 times in the first month buts its been fine for thr the last four.
Old 05-18-2005, 01:09 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Default Is this when you are listening to a radio station with adequate power and then it

Originally Posted by NoWayJose
Does anybody knows if GM came up with a fix for the "no sound from radio" issue? I was told that it is a SW related problem and a fix was available but the dealer does not seems to know about it. Please advice
Get quiet?
Old 05-18-2005, 08:38 AM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by LS WON
Is this when you are listening to a radio station with adequate power and then it
Get quiet?
No, with mine, I turned on the radio after I started the engine. There was never any sound at all after turning on the radio, although there was a display on the radio like it was receiving the signal and doing everything else.
Old 05-19-2005, 12:50 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Default Exactly my experience also not all the time once in a while. The fix will be to

Originally Posted by SilverCoupe
No, with mine, I turned on the radio after I started the engine. There was never any sound at all after turning on the radio, although there was a display on the radio like it was receiving the signal and doing everything else.
go aftermarket on this one and hopefully get the same options of the factory stereo i.e. traffic search, station ID and song & artist name plus anything else the aftermarket may have over the factory system.

Get notified of new replies

To No sound from radio

Quick Reply: No sound from radio