C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

service traction control light on again

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2005, 09:52 PM
doccoch
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default service traction control light on again

My "service traction control system" light is now stuck on for the 3rd time. Has anyone else had this problem. I've had it serviced twice now and they actually replaced that specific computer. I can tell that something is wrong. The car has a lag when accelerating and seems to almost die at times. This has always happened when the service light is on and not when off. HELP!!
Old 06-19-2005, 02:17 PM
jfox76
Cruising

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the same problem. I was driving it the other night in light rain and the rear tires seemed to lock up for a second or two, the service engine light came on and the DIC sent messages like 'traction control needs service... engine power reduced' the dic warning went off, but the service light stays on.

I plan on dropping it off for service tomorrow. I had just gotten the car back that day from chevy for an oil change and to patch a puncture in the left rear tire. maybe it's linked to the pressure sensor in the wheel... coincidence or not?
Old 06-19-2005, 02:23 PM
VettesintheRockies
Pro

Default Better Read This

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...74&forum_id=74
Old 06-19-2005, 04:16 PM
jfox76
Cruising

Default called on-star

I just took the car for a drive again to see if the service engine light would go off and it didn't. I also did not notice a reduction in power. i called on-star and they told me the code was 'PCM' and that it was a "throttle control sensor" problem. they recommended i get to the dealer ASAP as it was not safe to drive. I also tried holding the off button the ignition for 5 seconds b/c i heard that could clear the computer.. but nothing happened.
Old 06-22-2005, 11:56 AM
jfox76
Cruising

Default Service Engine Light disapperaed

Well I went to take the car to the local dealer yesterday to repair the supposed traction control problem and the light was no longer on. I called On-star and they said the computer was clear of alarms. Im going to drive it for a few more days and see if the lioght comes back on. I chalking it up to either the electronics getting wet because i drove through a puddle or a problem from them taking the tire off that day to patch a tire. Or just bad electronics??? bothersome but the car is riding fine and there is no reduction in power.
Old 06-22-2005, 02:09 PM
VettesintheRockies
Pro

It seems every time I tell someone about my 'traction control' or ' engine service' problem and show them a picture of what may happen. it just gets ignored. Is my picture not showing up or is someone looking for a better answer.
Guys write about a problem and I try to help, it's not fun to be broke down, just trying to help!
Old 06-22-2005, 02:17 PM
tom4416
Racer

Originally Posted by VettesintheRockies
It seems every time I tell someone about my 'traction control' or ' engine service' problem and show them a picture of what may happen. it just gets ignored. Is my picture not showing up or is someone looking for a better answer.
Guys write about a problem and I try to help, it's not fun to be broke down, just trying to help!
Don't think anyone is ignoring it but because the problem is intermittent, most dealerships don't want to invest any time in solving it, even with the information you've provided. The attitude seems to be (from the dealers) if it's working fine when you come in, we ain't touching it. I know some go the extra mile and kudos to them.
Old 06-22-2005, 03:01 PM
jfox76
Cruising

vettesinrockies,

I did read your post and thought that your check engine light was on the whole time you made the long trip. I thought it was weird that someone would make such a long trip with the engine light on, but ...

Now im thinkin that your engine light came on .. then off... and repeated?
The following users liked this post:
JJLAI724 (06-26-2016)
Old 06-22-2005, 03:54 PM
arcticblast
Le Mans Master

Received 240 Likes on 135 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

My "Service Active Handling" warning has come on a few times. I stopped and cut the car off, then restarted and it resets. Still I took it to a local dealer. They said it was a faulty signal from a steering wheel angle sensor. The part is ordered.The warning doesn't come on each time I drive it, but I'll still have it changed soon.
Old 06-28-2005, 12:58 PM
jfox76
Cruising

arctic,

Please keep us posted with the results of changing the sensor.
Old 06-28-2005, 02:24 PM
doccoch
Instructor

I did have that part changed and everything was fine for a couple of weeks but now I'm back to square one. I guess I'll have to drop it off again for a day or two and try to resolve the prob again.
Old 06-29-2005, 11:45 AM
SinCityJet
Instructor

I've had a similar issue with the Traction Control/Active Handling. My wife (who always rides as passenger ) tells me that sometimes when we begin our first rapid acceleration (freeway on-ramp), there's a hollow popping sound just forward of the right rear tire just as the DIC shows Service Active Handling. The first time this happened, not only did the DIC light up, but so did the warning icon on the speedometer. The car rode very roughly, as if everything was set to full "bounce."

After doing some reading here a few months ago, I cycled through all of the settings using the console mounted button and the DIC warning went away and the ride returned to normal. I took it to the dealer, and he couldn't find anything wrong. Since then, I've had the same popping sound on the on-ramp, followed by harsh ride (but no DIC warning) which is eliminated with the console button cycling.

I still want to get to the bottom of this, but my dealer has no experience with the magnetic suspension and is fairly useless in diagnosing the problem.
Old 06-29-2005, 03:41 PM
VNAMVET
Le Mans Master

Received 394 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by doccoch
My "service traction control system" light is now stuck on for the 3rd time. Has anyone else had this problem. I've had it serviced twice now and they actually replaced that specific computer. I can tell that something is wrong. The car has a lag when accelerating and seems to almost die at times. This has always happened when the service light is on and not when off. HELP!!
Yes, I have had the same problem twice. The first time they reflashed the ECM/ECU (?) Two weeks later, same message, and loss of traction control/yaw sensors/active handling. I turned my car off and on the restart, all is well. Prior to this happening, there was heavy rain and lots of "standing" water in the roadway.

After the second time, they could NOT duplicate the issue. GM has assigned a case number, as TECHNICIAN actually called GM. He (the TECH) gave me his cell # and told me to call him immediately, if the issue happened again.................it hasn't, thankfully.
Old 06-29-2005, 07:23 PM
toedoc
Racer

My dic service active handling came on for the third time in a week yesterday (always resets by shutting car off and restarting), called Onstar they ran a diagnostic and found no codes ?, If it continues or stays on I will take it in, I guess they might be able to find a code stored.
Old 07-10-2005, 06:34 PM
CV62
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07

Originally Posted by jfox76
I have the same problem. I was driving it the other night in light rain and the rear tires seemed to lock up for a second or two, the service engine light came on and the DIC sent messages like 'traction control needs service... engine power reduced' the dic warning went off, but the service light stays on.

I plan on dropping it off for service tomorrow. I had just gotten the car back that day from chevy for an oil change and to patch a puncture in the left rear tire. maybe it's linked to the pressure sensor in the wheel... coincidence or not?

I have an F55 - A4 and the same thing happend to me today. I noticed I went through a small puddle and 15 minutes later I got the same message.

'traction control needs service... engine power reduced' the dic warning went off, but the service light stays on.

However my car immediately shut off while I was driving. Scared the crap out of me as I stalled to a halt on the freeway. Tried starting the car but totally dead. Powered off, waited for 2 minutes, and then came back on with the light on. Got about another 10 miles and the same messages and power off occured.

It must have something to do with a sensor getting wet as many threads on this subject all indicated rain. Hoping the problem goes away when everything dries out but I wonder if we are all having the similar bug.
Old 07-10-2005, 07:00 PM
Nickedimus
Instructor

i had the message pop up off and on for a while, but dealer couldnt reproduce the same while it was in the shop. last month while taking an off ramp at a good clip i went over a rough patch in the road and it not only came on again, but shut itself off. im not sure if it caused the tires to lock for a momment or what, but it swapped ends faster than any of my camaro's ever did... thank god i was close to the bottom of the off ramp and the driver in the ram was observant!

anyway, it stayed on this time, took it in and they said "steering sensor" no problem well have it back in a day. well picked it up and never even got it into gear and it was on again. gave it back and it took a couple days but the serve writer said the steering sensor wasnt the problem but was a symptom, had to run some sort of extended test to find this to be the problem. part #89060341 f-module kit. service writer showed me it was the antilock brake module. its sits just under the power steering, has about a half dozen small metal lines running to it. got about 200 miles on her this weekend and no lights or problems with the DIC. hope this helps you guys.
Old 07-10-2005, 07:16 PM
CV62
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07

Originally Posted by Nickedimus
i had the message pop up off and on for a while, but dealer couldnt reproduce the same while it was in the shop. last month while taking an off ramp at a good clip i went over a rough patch in the road and it not only came on again, but shut itself off. im not sure if it caused the tires to lock for a momment or what, but it swapped ends faster than any of my camaro's ever did... thank god i was close to the bottom of the off ramp and the driver in the ram was observant!

anyway, it stayed on this time, took it in and they said "steering sensor" no problem well have it back in a day. well picked it up and never even got it into gear and it was on again. gave it back and it took a couple days but the serve writer said the steering sensor wasnt the problem but was a symptom, had to run some sort of extended test to find this to be the problem. part #89060341 f-module kit. service writer showed me it was the antilock brake module. its sits just under the power steering, has about a half dozen small metal lines running to it. got about 200 miles on her this weekend and no lights or problems with the DIC. hope this helps you guys.

Thanks for the additonal info. So your system shut off as well? Keep us posted as to if the F-module kit was indeed the issue. What suspension are you running? Mine is F55.

Get notified of new replies

To service traction control light on again

Old 07-10-2005, 07:19 PM
tom4416
Racer

My dealer is in the process of replacing the PCM to fix it. Mine was not intermittent, came on, stayed on that this was the indicated failure. The f-module, abs sensors, steering angle sensors, all make more sense to me than the engine management module but we'll see. I'll print out all this information in case the PCM doesn't fix it and let the dealer try some of these other fixes.
Old 07-10-2005, 07:30 PM
Nickedimus
Instructor

mine is a Z51 6spd.

all i heard was "ding" and then around i went. when i finally got over staring at the bottom of that truck (thank god he stopped!) i looked down and saw them message. i am assuming it went completely off. its all i can think of to explain what happened. i tried to cycle through the settings on the console buttom but anything other than off would cause it to "ding". i did notice that once the stupid thing (message)stayed on that everytime i would go around a turn or hit a bump that was on the ruff side the DIC would "ding". ill keep posted in the future.
Old 04-22-2014, 04:45 PM
Schuby_racer
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Nickedimus
mine is a Z51 6spd.

all i heard was "ding" and then around i went. when i finally got over staring at the bottom of that truck (thank god he stopped!) i looked down and saw them message. i am assuming it went completely off. its all i can think of to explain what happened. i tried to cycle through the settings on the console buttom but anything other than off would cause it to "ding". i did notice that once the stupid thing (message)stayed on that everytime i would go around a turn or hit a bump that was on the ruff side the DIC would "ding". ill keep posted in the future.
I had the same problem on my 01. Luckily mine just skipped sideways instead of spinning. Have you found a solution yet?

Quick Reply: service traction control light on again