C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got magnaflows installed!

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2005, 04:48 PM
jogar80
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Got magnaflows installed!

Well I went to install the magnaflow mufflers on tuesday. I used the muffler #14336 and the stock tips. The guy from the muffler shop ordered them for me and he charged me $240, thats including the mufflers and the installation. I think thats a really great price.

Overall I think the magnaflows sound really nice. The tone is kind of like a mustang GT with flowmasters, but much more quiet. Although the sound is nowhere near what you might call loud, it is quite a bit louder than I had hoped for, I'd say 20-30% over stock. Before the C6 i've always driven a BMW with stock exhaust, so that might explain why i feel that way. Still, the volume is not enough to make me regret it. There actually is a bit of drone inside from about 1300 to 1500 rpm, and it seems to hit again for just a moment right about 2200. I dont know if its just in my head or what, but it seems like the engine noise went down after the install, now most of the sound is comin from the cargo area. The idle note is VERY nice...sounds deep and sounds clean. As you accelerate you hear the low hum of the exhaust, then a bit of throaty rumble as you rev higher, then the sounds seems to taper off as you get to WOT and mostly you hear the engine only at that point. While cruising the exhaust is as quiet or quieter than stock. I also noticed there is ALOT of burble and some popping on deceleration. My car has the manual tranny so this may not be the case with automatics.

Very pleased with the whole setup. If there is one gripe i have with it, it's the sound tapering off at full throttle. I would prefer it to scream on the top end. Other than that its a great sound and a great price. Those of you who have been told its hardly different than stock, thats not true, you can certainly hear the difference. It's just not as dramatic as something like bullets or borla, more of a sensible change.

I hope this helps somebody out, because I had one heck of a time trying to make a decision without any other exhausts to listen to in person. In the end it was the $240 price that sealed the deal.
Old 07-21-2005, 05:02 PM
Steve Germany
Melting Slicks

Great post - thanks for the excellent objective evaluation. Now- I'm going to do the same!
Old 07-21-2005, 07:09 PM
V Vette
Le Mans Master

Received 572 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Germany
Great post - thanks for the excellent objective evaluation. Now- I'm going to do the same!
I agree. You did a beautiful, unbiased review..Thanks
Old 07-21-2005, 08:11 PM
Weasel
Melting Slicks

Received 81 Likes on 45 Posts

Thanks for the report. Sounds good.
Old 07-21-2005, 09:46 PM
Wass
Melting Slicks

Received 137 Likes on 82 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'11

I have them, and I like them a lot. To get a whole new perspective on how they sound, stand outside while someone else drives your car. I asked my wife to drive it. It was only the second time for her. I told her to drive it hard. Wow...I couldn't get her out of the car! She went flying by and almost out of hearing range. Then I hear her turning around, reving the motor. She gets on it and it sounds awesome from way back. Comes by me fast and lets off the pedal. Sounds awesome backing off. Really great sound, but not too loud. Huge improvement over stock mufflers.
Old 07-21-2005, 11:30 PM
RX4WRK
Burning Brakes

Love my GHL's....made the Corvette come alive!
Old 07-22-2005, 02:55 AM
d3miller
Instructor

Does anyone know if there is a difference in sound between the 14335 and 14336. I heard the 14335s are easier to install with the stock tips. The 14336s have larger diameters, does this make any difference? I am going this route and dont know which ones to choose.

Sound clips anyone?
Old 07-22-2005, 08:55 AM
gtfxhunter
Intermediate

I too am thinking of changing the exhaust and have been following the reviews of the magnaflow systems...joggar installed the 14336 which he seems quite pleased with..there have been other reviews that have thought they were too loud..I've read some that were happy with the magnaflow 14355..the difference is '36' is a 14" can whereas the the '55' is an 18"...I'm still not sure..but believe either will fit ..like everything else its an individual thing..
Old 07-22-2005, 10:54 AM
jogar80
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by d3miller
Does anyone know if there is a difference in sound between the 14335 and 14336. I heard the 14335s are easier to install with the stock tips. The 14336s have larger diameters, does this make any difference? I am going this route and dont know which ones to choose.

Sound clips anyone?
The 14336 has 2.5" inlet and outlet. The 14335 has a 2.25" inlet and outlet. The stock mufflers are 2.5" in and 2.25" at the tips (wierd). The guy at the muffler shop attached the 2.25" stock tips by sticking them on the inside of the 2.5" outlet. I dont think the sound is any different between the two.
Old 07-22-2005, 11:06 AM
jjohn918
Drifting

Originally Posted by jogar80
Well I went to install the magnaflow mufflers on tuesday. I used the muffler #14336 and the stock tips. The guy from the muffler shop ordered them for me and he charged me $240, thats including the mufflers and the installation. I think thats a really great price.

Overall I think the magnaflows sound really nice. The tone is kind of like a mustang GT with flowmasters, but much more quiet. Although the sound is nowhere near what you might call loud, it is quite a bit louder than I had hoped for, I'd say 20-30% over stock. Before the C6 i've always driven a BMW with stock exhaust, so that might explain why i feel that way. Still, the volume is not enough to make me regret it. There actually is a bit of drone inside from about 1300 to 1500 rpm, and it seems to hit again for just a moment right about 2200. I dont know if its just in my head or what, but it seems like the engine noise went down after the install, now most of the sound is comin from the cargo area. The idle note is VERY nice...sounds deep and sounds clean. As you accelerate you hear the low hum of the exhaust, then a bit of throaty rumble as you rev higher, then the sounds seems to taper off as you get to WOT and mostly you hear the engine only at that point. While cruising the exhaust is as quiet or quieter than stock. I also noticed there is ALOT of burble and some popping on deceleration. My car has the manual tranny so this may not be the case with automatics.

Very pleased with the whole setup. If there is one gripe i have with it, it's the sound tapering off at full throttle. I would prefer it to scream on the top end. Other than that its a great sound and a great price. Those of you who have been told its hardly different than stock, thats not true, you can certainly hear the difference. It's just not as dramatic as something like bullets or borla, more of a sensible change.

I hope this helps somebody out, because I had one heck of a time trying to make a decision without any other exhausts to listen to in person. In the end it was the $240 price that sealed the deal.

Excellent review!! +/- points. This kind of review will really be a help to those considering this exhaust.

Thanks

Josh
Old 07-22-2005, 05:22 PM
haljensen
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

The 14336 has 2.5" inlet and outlet. The 14335 has a 2.25" inlet and outlet. The stock mufflers are 2.5" in and 2.25" at the tips (wierd). The guy at the muffler shop attached the 2.25" stock tips by sticking them on the inside of the 2.5" outlet. I dont think the sound is any different between the two.
I just measured the stock mufflers and tips;

The stock muffler outlet is only 2' OD and the stock tips are also 2" OD. Re-using the stock tips gives you no exhaust flow gain. By going to the #14336 (2 1/2" in and out) and aftermarket tips you can gain some flow to go with the sound. You'll have a complete 2 1/2" exhaust.
Old 07-22-2005, 06:52 PM
d3miller
Instructor

Yeah, thats what I thought, 2" out and 2.25" in for the stock muffler. I heard muffler shops have no problem extending 2" to 2.25", or 2.25" to 2.5", but from 2" to 2.5" it kind of poses a problem, which is why I was leaning towards the 14335s.

So, jogar80, what exactly do you mean he put the 2" stock tips "inside" the 2.5" muffler out? How did they fill in the .5" gap?

I guess what the final question is, 14335 or 14336??? Or does it just simply not matter.
Old 07-22-2005, 08:48 PM
Wass
Melting Slicks

Received 137 Likes on 82 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'11

Originally Posted by d3miller
............I guess what the final question is, 14335 or 14336??? Or does it just simply not matter.
I used the 14335 with stock tips.
Old 08-08-2005, 11:12 PM
mikejofgb
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by haljensen
I just measured the stock mufflers and tips;

The stock muffler outlet is only 2' OD and the stock tips are also 2" OD. Re-using the stock tips gives you no exhaust flow gain. By going to the #14336 (2 1/2" in and out) and aftermarket tips you can gain some flow to go with the sound. You'll have a complete 2 1/2" exhaust.
Any recommendations on good aftermarket dual-tips??
Old 08-08-2005, 11:29 PM
mikejofgb
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Curious how the stock tips (2") fit into the 14336 Magnaflows (2.5")?? Let me know, do I need to purchase tips at all or will the existing tips fit?
Old 08-09-2005, 07:40 AM
oljim49
Racer

Both the Magnaflow Mufflers being discussed are currently being offered on Ebay for $79.85 including shipping.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...RK%3AMEWA%3AIT

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...RK%3AMEWA%3AIT
Old 08-09-2005, 08:52 AM
StuzVette
Cherish your Hopes...
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 215 Likes on 132 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07

nice evaluation...
...actually listened to the Magnaflow exhaust on their website and it is certainly more docile than Borla or B&B...

Just the ticket for someone who wants a better idle tone and some meatier exhaust tone on acceleration without eardrum spiltting results...

...I believe I remember Magnaflow has now 2 versions:
one for softer tone and one that would compete with louder exhaust systems but not quite the B&B or Borla level...

Get notified of new replies

To Got magnaflows installed!

Old 08-09-2005, 09:05 AM
haljensen
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by mikejofgb
Curious how the stock tips (2") fit into the 14336 Magnaflows (2.5")?? Let me know, do I need to purchase tips at all or will the existing tips fit?
I don't understand why anyone would use the stock tips. They are THE major restriction in the exhaust. Even if you expand the end to fit inside the 2.25" or 2.5" muffler they are still only a 2" OD where the tip branches to two tips. 2.5" pipe from the headers back then less than 2" at the tip?
Old 08-09-2005, 09:23 AM
LKicklight
Burning Brakes

Default Magnaflows

So far I have had what I consider moderate success with this installation. The vendor that originally installed the units tried to rip me off. When he was done, knowing that others had the work done in the low to moderate 200 dollar range, this jerk wanted 568 bucks. Could not believe my ears, heck, just told him to take the darn things back off and replace my stock mufflers. Well at this point with the mufflers cut off flush it would be darn near impossible to get them back on. After some coversation, we came to an agreement liveable by both party's. The only problem that I have afterwards is rattles. Seems as though the right exhaust pipe is the problem. Been back twice, still have a rattle when shifting at low r.p.m.s. Suppose I will have to live with it or take it to anothe muffler shop.
kickback
Old 08-09-2005, 10:53 AM
jogar80
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by mikejofgb
You dont NEED to purchase new tips if you dont mind using the stock ones. I put the mufflers on mine for the sound only, not the exhaust flow, so the size of the stock tips was not a concern for me. The way the guy at the muffler shop did it was he stuck the tip on the inside of the 2.5" connecter on the muffler. That leaves about a 1/4" gap that can be welded shut

Quick Reply: Got magnaflows installed!