C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 owner Killed by Car roof

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2005, 02:03 PM
bangbgC6
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default C6 owner Killed by Car roof

Not really but I think I was close.

I was just wondering if I was the clumsiest/stupidest C6 owner or if this has happened to anyone else.

Traveling back home to So. Cal after being in Northern CA last weekend I had covered about 500 miles of the 700 miles scheduled for the drive that day. Slight fatigue and a full bladder suggested a brief stop at an ARCO Station in Bakersfield to make use of the facilities and pick up some snacks for the last leg of the trip, I was good on gas so it was strictly a human comfort stop.

I thought to myself, “Hey self, why not take the roof off for some fresh air for the last 200 miles.” Unlatching the header latches and the rear latch, I noticed some napkins sitting on the seat and then self spoke up again “Stow those before they exit out the top opening when accelerating onto the freeway.” The roof had not yet been removed, BIG mistake!

Turning around to place them in a bag in the rear area I reached back and must’ve lunged into the rear area somewhat and smacked the living $hit out of my head on the latch that was still hanging down.

Let me tell you, that latch handle hanging down is solid as an F’ing rock, kind of like Excalibur stuck firm in the Stone, not to mention shaped like a really dull knife-edge.

I was stunned at first and naturally grabbed for the top of my head where the impact took place, sitting motionless for a second or two, could have been minutes for all I know.

Pulling my hand away from my wound it was covered in blood, what looked like a lot at the time. All I could think was that I fractured my skull and would be stuck in Bakersfield needing brain surgery to remove bone fragments from my swelling brain.

After regaining as much sense as I have, I bought some ice, baggies and napkins and spent the last 200 miles trying to stop the bleeding.

Luckily for me my head is extremely hard, there was no dizziness or feeling nauseous and the bleeding finally stopped by the time I got home.

I vote myself the stupidest!

Lesson learned finish taking off roof before cleaning up potential debris.

Last edited by bangbgC6; 08-20-2005 at 09:56 AM.
Old 08-19-2005, 02:07 PM
Guitarstar
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Ouch!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-19-2005, 02:16 PM
NSolano
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that **** almost happened to me, but this was cause I was trying to remove the roof when i was sitting from underneath it, like on the driver's seat. I tried removing it standing up outside, but the first time I did it i wasn't expecting it to be so heavy so I dropped it on the seat, now it has a very small tear on the leather cause of me.
hey got any pics??
sorry , I like seeing how bad injuries are.
Old 08-19-2005, 02:21 PM
ltone72
Pro

St. Jude Donor '06

Default removing roof

I undid the passenger side top latch with my little girl in the front seat. It snapped back and my hand hit her in the face. She was ok, but I thought I would warn other C6 Coupe owners. DON'T UNLATCH THE TOP WITH YOUR KID OR WIFE IN THE PASSENGER SEAT UNLESS YOU WANT TO RISK SMACKING THEM IN THE FACE.
Old 08-19-2005, 02:27 PM
JohnE1000
Instructor

Originally Posted by ltone72
I undid the passenger side top latch with my little girl in the front seat. It snapped back and my hand hit her in the face. She was ok, but I thought I would warn other C6 Coupe owners. DON'T UNLATCH THE TOP WITH YOUR KID OR WIFE IN THE PASSENGER SEAT UNLESS YOU WANT TO RISK SMACKING THEM IN THE FACE.
Sounds like the best plan for mother in laws......
Old 08-19-2005, 02:30 PM
Mayonayze
Le Mans Master

Location: Prepare yourself, for a pride obliterating bich smack. Fairfax, VA
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08
SEC > BCS 4 St. Judes '09

DOOOD!!! you must take better care of your melon man!!! damn!!
Old 08-19-2005, 02:32 PM
bangbgC6
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

not so good pic there...

Last edited by TRAYC7; 08-19-2005 at 04:01 PM.
Old 08-19-2005, 02:34 PM
C64BC
Pro

[QUOTE=bangbgC6]

QUOTE]

I second the vote!! seriously though...glad you're okay, that could of been really serious. One thing for sure - you'll never do that again!!
Old 08-19-2005, 02:34 PM
Datawiz
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 381 Likes on 163 Posts
CI-7-8-9-10 Veteran
Cruise-In IX AutoX Winner
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11,'19,'22
St. Jude/CI Name Tag Designer

I've hit my head on that latch. It hurts like hell. No blood here. Bet you don't do that again.
Old 08-19-2005, 02:35 PM
Tin Star
Burning Brakes

Location: Amelia Island,FL ______ or DFW _________ Sold my 05 MS Coupe ____ bought 08 Vert Blk/JSB, 3LT, F55

Wow brain surgery in Bakersfield...Just where I would want to go for it...

Not
Old 08-19-2005, 02:38 PM
resmith23
Instructor

Default Ouch

Hope you didn't bleed on that pretty C6 leather interior.
Old 08-19-2005, 03:20 PM
ufso
Le Mans Master

Received 181 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by bangbgC6
Not really but I think I was close.

I was just wondering if I was the clumsiest/stupidest C6 owner or if this has happened to anyone else.

I was traveling back home to So. Cal after being in Northern CA last weekend. I had covered about 500 miles of the 700 I was going to drive that day. I pulled into an ARCO Station in Bakersfield to make use of the facilities and pick up some snacks for the last leg of the trip, I was good on gas so it was strictly a human comfort stop.

I thought to myself, “Hey self, why not take the roof off for some fresh air for the last 200 miles.” So I unlatched the header latches and the rear latch, I then noticed some napkins sitting on the seat and then self spoke up again “I need to stow those before they exit out the top after I get on the freeway.” I had not yet removed the roof , BIG mistake!

I turned around to place them in a bag in the rear area, as I reached back I must’ve lunged into the rear area somewhat and smacked the living $hit out of my head on the latch that was still hanging down.

Let me tell you, that latch handle hanging down is solid as an F’ing rock and shaped like a really dull knife-edge.

I was stunned at first and naturally grabbed for the top of my head where the impact took place, sitting motionless for a second or two, could have been minutes for all I know.

I pulled away my hand it was covered in blood. All I could think was that I fractured my skull and would be stuck in Bakersfield needing brain surgery to remove bone fragments from my swelling brain.

After regaining as much sense as I have, I bought some ice baggies and napkins and spent the last 200 miles trying to stop the bleeding.

Luckily for me I have a really hard head, I wasn’t getting dizzy or nauseous and the bleeding finally stopped by the time I got home.

Lesson learned finish taking off roof before cleaning up potential debris.
What's sad is you and Datawas will be the only two that will probably ever do that now that we've been cautioned.

The voting is going to be real close!
Old 08-19-2005, 03:34 PM
69L79
Le Mans Master

Location: Hamilton Square NJ, Ocean City N. J. Key Biscayne Fla.
Received 849 Likes on 383 Posts

removed because of pic...

Last edited by TRAYC7; 08-19-2005 at 04:01 PM. Reason: dup post- bad pic...
Old 08-19-2005, 03:53 PM
Another Yellow
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06

It could have been worse. After putting the ice on your head you could have driven away without stowing the roof and leaving it unlatched. The flying roof and banging your head would have secured you top spot in the stupid category.

Frank
Old 08-19-2005, 03:57 PM
TRAYC7
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
NCM Ambassador
CI-3-4, 9 & 10 Car Show Winner
CI-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10,'14, '16
St Jude Fedex Bowl Donor '09

Wow.. this same type of thing happened to Ernie helping me once.. we got preoccupied... and he did something.. and hit his head like that... wasnt as bad as yours but it sure did hurt him for a while... glad your alright....
Old 08-19-2005, 04:10 PM
Zilla
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: All that glitters is Gold - Hockey Is CANADA'S game
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06

Originally Posted by TRAYC6
Wow.. this same type of thing happened to Ernie helping me once.. we got preoccupied... and he did something..

Tell us more!!!!!
Old 08-19-2005, 04:15 PM
69L79
Le Mans Master

Location: Hamilton Square NJ, Ocean City N. J. Key Biscayne Fla.
Received 849 Likes on 383 Posts

I am glad someone had the good sense to remove that very tasteless picture.

Get notified of new replies

To C6 owner Killed by Car roof

Old 08-19-2005, 04:18 PM
sanspeur
Instructor

A good reminder for all of us to complete the roof operation before doing anything else. I've also heard stories about putting the roof back on, then forgetting to close the latches, and driving away. The roof flies off and often damages the back of the car on its way to the pavement.
Old 08-19-2005, 04:26 PM
repomaniac
Cruising

Default no head bangin on a rag top

trade it in for a conv. there are only poorly placed folding braces and they dont cause bleeding. They just smack you in the head and make you cuss.
Old 08-19-2005, 04:54 PM
DP Dave
Melting Slicks

Dan,
Glad to read you made it home safely! Just hope following the head banging that you didn't fill up at the Arco station as I understand it is not a Top Tier fuel.
Now that you banged your head does this mean you may change your avatar? Perhaps "Headbanger"?

Quick Reply: C6 owner Killed by Car roof