C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question regarding punctured run flat tire...

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2005, 09:47 PM
victory_C6
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question regarding punctured run flat tire...

I ran over a nail on the way home from work tonight. I had a local tire shop plug the tire. They said that they did not have the proper machine to handle a wheel and tire of that size. They said the plug should hold me until I get to the dealer.

Question: Can a run flat tire be patched? The nail penetrated the F1 Supercar tire in between the treads, towards the center of the tire. I know the dealer will tell me it can't be patched so that they can sell me a $400 tire. I am looking for any advice. Thanks in advance.
Old 08-19-2005, 09:54 PM
Clutchplate
Racer

I had a run flat replaced at which time they told me they could be repaired as long as the puncture wasn't on the sidewall-mine was.
They prorated the tire and I paid around $65 I think. I was recently told by a Wheelworks manager that Goodyear has since told all dealers not to repair any runflats period. Don't know if that's true, just what I heard.
Old 08-19-2005, 09:56 PM
haljensen
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by victory_C6
I ran over a nail on the way home from work tonight. I had a local tire shop plug the tire. They said that they did not have the proper machine to handle a wheel and tire of that size. They said the plug should hold me until I get to the dealer.

Question: Can a run flat tire be patched? The nail penetrated the F1 Supercar tire in between the treads, towards the center of the tire. I know the dealer will tell me it can't be patched so that they can sell me a $400 tire. I am looking for any advice. Thanks in advance.
Read your tire Warranty. Road hazards are covered (with mileage limitations). Free repair or replacement.
Old 08-19-2005, 10:00 PM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

Received 141 Likes on 120 Posts

Default runflat

i had a goodyear runflat repaired last year.hole was in the same area as yours.I found out that it had been patched before,also.So,yes you can patch it at a good,know what they're doing,tire place.
Old 08-19-2005, 10:23 PM
Corvette Junkie
Night Race Blue 427
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Muncie, Indiana ...... Can I buy an amplifier on time ... I ani't got no money now but I'll pay you before I die
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

The proper repair is a plug patch combo it all one piece applied from the inside. I don't think you will be able to get a dealer to touch it once it's been pluged though.
Old 08-19-2005, 10:35 PM
victory_C6
Advanced

Originally Posted by Corvette Junkie
The proper repair is a plug patch combo it all one piece applied from the inside. I don't think you will be able to get a dealer to touch it once it's been pluged though.
I figured that too. I am going to call a Goodyear tire dealer in the morning. If no luck there, then I will try the dealer.
Old 08-19-2005, 10:55 PM
haljensen
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

victoryC6; When you bought the car you were given a 4" X 8" black cover mutifold pamphlet from Goodyear. It states;

"EMT tires may be repaired to correct a nail hole" "contact an authorized goodyear EMTservice facility".

"Free tire replacement if not repairable".

Goodyear EMT Locator 1-800-786-3528
Old 08-19-2005, 11:03 PM
ben dover
Team Owner

Location: When all is said and done... there is a hell of a lot more said than done. Riverside,Texas
Received 139 Likes on 128 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Good info.
Old 08-19-2005, 11:13 PM
victory_C6
Advanced

Originally Posted by haljensen
victoryC6; When you bought the car you were given a 4" X 8" black cover mutifold pamphlet from Goodyear. It states;

"EMT tires may be repaired to correct a nail hole" "contact an authorized goodyear EMTservice facility".

Thanks for the info.
Old 08-20-2005, 12:09 AM
Grzldvt
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They repaired mine even after I asked for a replacement, and they cited the above quote
Old 08-20-2005, 09:23 AM
sdvetter
Instructor

Thanks for the info.
Definately use the toll free number at Goodyear so they can hook you up with a dealer that is certified to work on the EMTs, rather than just calling your nearest Goodyear dealer. That way you protect you coverage under the warranty by going to a dealer
Goodyear sends you to.
Old 08-20-2005, 11:35 AM
jimcork1
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

[QUOTE=victory_C6]I ran over a nail on the way home from work tonight. I had a local tire shop plug the tire. They said that they did not have the proper machine to handle a wheel and tire of that size. They said the plug should hold me until I get to the dealer.QUOTE]

I found that when I shop says "don't have ... etc" they really don't want to do the work for what ever reason. Walmart told me they could not put tires on my wifes Mercedes because the tires would not fit their machine. They would gladly sell me the tires and let me take them elsewhere. So I bought tires from a old tire shop in town that quickly mounted up the tires I bought from them. The owner told me it was no problem mounting the tires while I watched. Very helpful. Oh,, the tires on the MB are the same size on the C5. The shop also told me he would gladly help on C5 tires but could not match Tire rack prices. So If I would just order them and ship to his shop he would gladly install but not warranty.

You just need a good dealer and they will help. 99 Nassau blue
Old 08-21-2005, 08:23 AM
bj33813
Racer

Originally Posted by Clutchplate
I had a run flat replaced at which time they told me they could be repaired as long as the puncture wasn't on the sidewall-mine was.
They prorated the tire and I paid around $65 I think. I was recently told by a Wheelworks manager that Goodyear has since told all dealers not to repair any runflats period. Don't know if that's true, just what I heard.

Not true..had a nail in mine last week, Goodyear tire center said not warrented so I paid for the fix on it and wrote to Goodyear to complain. Got a refund yesterday.
Old 08-21-2005, 10:00 AM
HOFFIE
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Read your tire Warranty. Road hazards are covered (with mileage limitations). Free repair or replacement.
Old 08-21-2005, 09:16 PM
victory_C6
Advanced

FYI... I had my tire repaired yesterday at an authorized Goodyear EMT repair center. They charged me $49 to patch the tire. It took three guys to break the tire free from the wheel. I was told that the tire would be replaced if it was irrepairable up to 6,000 miles. After that, there is no warranty whatsoever.
Old 08-22-2005, 12:06 AM
shopdog
Race Director

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

FYI... I had my tire repaired yesterday at an authorized Goodyear EMT repair center. They charged me $49 to patch the tire. It took three guys to break the tire free from the wheel. I was told that the tire would be replaced if it was irrepairable up to 6,000 miles. After that, there is no warranty whatsoever.
Tire store employees are a lot like car salesmen, they'll say anything to get your money. Show them the Goodyear warranty that came with the car. For the first 12 months or 12,000 miles you pay ZERO for road hazard damage repairs. I've had 2 flats, and both times I had to raise hell with the Goodyear tire store (different stores) counter help who wanted to charge me for the repair. In the first case, waving the warranty booklet under the guy's nose did the trick, in the second case I had to hunt up the manager and raise hell with him. But both did finally admit they have to honor the printed warranty.
Old 08-22-2005, 12:28 AM
FunDriver
Le Mans Master

Received 144 Likes on 93 Posts

I've had several repairs to my runflats and one that couldn't be repaired due to being in the sidewall. Be sure to have them patched from the inside not only for the better repair but to also ensure that there wasn't some other type of damage done.

Get notified of new replies

To Question regarding punctured run flat tire...

Old 08-22-2005, 01:05 AM
Cisco Vette
Instructor

Yes, they can be repaired. I took my 2005 Corvette C6 to the local Goodyear dealer. The left rear tire developed a "slow leak" of air pressure. I suspected a puncture. Showed the Goodyear dealer the Extended Mobility Technology limited warranty and they fixed the tire---no charge. The tire was repaired to correct a screw-hole puncture in the tread.
Old 08-22-2005, 08:11 AM
bj33813
Racer

Victory C6: Spend 2 or 3 minutes writing a letter as I did...you'll get the money back. As stated, the guys at the counter will charge you if they can.

That being said, no one has yet commented on the ADVISABILITY of having a repair done....is the tire still good to 186 mph ????
Old 08-22-2005, 09:37 AM
footba4672
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

You need a special machine to remove the runflats from the rims and not all shops invest in it.... The dealer was honest saying he did not have the proper machine..if he would have tried with the wrong machine he would have destroyed your rims.....The tire should be patched and not plugged to maintain the speed rating

Quick Reply: Question regarding punctured run flat tire...