C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Radio Problem ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2005, 05:55 PM
grahamm
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radio Problem ?

I can't get the following frequences on the radio of my C6 Vert
Example 95.8 95.6 95.4 etc
I can get the odd frequences 95.5 95.7 95.9

Why cant I get the even frequences ? Am I doing something wrong ?
Is this normal in the U.S. ?

I live here in the U.K.

Can anybody Help pls it's driving me mad . . .
Old 08-21-2005, 06:32 PM
PawlRevere2
Instructor

FM radio in the US has 200 kHz spacing and is on odd frequencies, as you noted.

If you have a C6 in Britain, then it needs the right radio software calibrations.
Old 08-21-2005, 06:36 PM
mss8022
Instructor

It is because America is an odd country and we only have radio stations on odd frequencies....

Just kidding, of course.....no problem with your radio...just no US stations on even frequencies to my knowledge....

Any other forum members know of any in the US?
Old 08-21-2005, 07:00 PM
shopdog
Race Director

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by grahamm
I can't get the following frequences on the radio of my C6 Vert
Example 95.8 95.6 95.4 etc
I can get the odd frequences 95.5 95.7 95.9

Why cant I get the even frequences ? Am I doing something wrong ?
Is this normal in the U.S. ?

I live here in the U.K.

Can anybody Help pls it's driving me mad . . .
Yes, it is normal in the US. Channel spacings are 200 kHz starting at 87.9 MHz. This is necessary because the displayed frequency is the channel center, and the signal extends up and down 75 kHz each way from that. So with the FM band being 87.8 to 108 MHz, the first channel center has to be 100 kHz up from the lower band edge, ie at 87.9 MHz, and the last channel center has to be at 107.9 MHz. Otherwise part of the signal could wind up outside the allocated band.

Much of Europe uses 100 kHz channel spacings, which creates an allocation nightmare since assigning stations too close together with only 100 kHz spacing means the signals of the two stations would overlap, causing mutual interference. The US system avoids that by making the channel spacings wide enough to accomodate geographically close stations.

AM has a similar problem. We use 10 kHz channel spacings while Europe uses 9 kHz channel spacings. With an AM signal occupying 10 kHz (5 up and 5 down from the center frequency), they just fit in the US plan, but they overlap in the European plan, again causing an allocation nightmare.

Since GM knew it would be selling these cars in Europe, there should be a setup feature in the radio to switch between US and European bandplans. European cars sold here have that ability. You might check with your dealer and see if he knows how to switch the bandplan in the radio to fit your local requirements. It isn't documented in US owner's manuals.
Old 08-21-2005, 07:13 PM
LTC Z06
Get Some!

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 66 Likes on 46 Posts

That was a pain when I lived in Germany.
Old 08-22-2005, 05:05 AM
grahamm
Advanced

Thanks a lot Guy's for your Helpful reply's, I guess it's something I have to live with, I can still pick up many stations & I have the CD loaded with MP3 Discs.

Thanks Again
Old 08-22-2005, 11:26 AM
kajtsu
Cruising

I'm planning taking my Vette to Europe and heard about this problem. If somebody knows how the radio frequency setup can be changed from US to European, I would be really interested. Thanks.

I have tried asking my dealer,but with no luck.
Old 08-22-2005, 03:37 PM
schwarzbart1
Instructor

Your dealer can reprogramm the BCM with the Euro setup. Than you have the right radio frequencies. On the other hand side you will lose your break lights.
I thought there is a point (radio) in the BCM like in the BIOS in your computer. But my dealer spoke with GM Tech Assistance and they told them no way except changing to the Euro setup.

Get notified of new replies

To Radio Problem ?

Quick Reply: Radio Problem ?