C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Scared me silly!

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2005, 09:49 AM
BACH
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default vette problems

it's been my experience that the headlamps suggested message usually comes on when you have the headlights set on auto and then either pull into or out of a garage. the message goes away by itself after a second or turn the setting off auto no problem
Old 08-22-2005, 09:54 AM
burtonbl103
Team Owner

Received 601 Likes on 179 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08,'12-'13

3200 miles of driven like you stole it chirpping 2nd and 3rd fun with only one problem!!!!
The top was squeking when clipped in the back of the car !!
A little velcro on the plastic mounts and no more problems !!!
Old 08-22-2005, 10:05 AM
c64lucky
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by carthinker
I was just reading a string of posts from Digital Corvettes. I'm not really familiar wtih this site at all.

Since I think it wouldn't be fair to copy someone else's words to a different forum, I'll just give the substance. A bunch of apparently real complaints about:

1. Key Fob failures (a number of guys walking home).
2. Moisture in headlights. Many people posted in.
3. "Suggested' messages from the computer system (Headlamps suggested? I'm not really sure what this is.)
4. Excessive brake wear. A bunch of guys chimed in.
5. Of most concern, many posted saying the roof was squeaking. I've seen that one posted here and I've seen silicone gel posted as a solution. But I didn't realize this was a problem.

I've been lurking here waiting for the A6's to come out. There were other items like the fuel gauge that I recognize and am not bothering with here. However, reading post after post I had "product quality" concerns pop up. Many "A6 lurkers" like me started posting in saying they were going to rethink they're decision.

I'd welcome any comments or reassurance!!

Thx!

Had mine since last October. No problems!

C64Lucky
Old 08-22-2005, 10:45 AM
rmreid
Racer

St. Jude Donor '05-'06

Just hit 3000 miles and I'm very happy w/my problem free VR Coupe
Old 08-22-2005, 10:49 AM
russtic
Advanced

i just topped 5000 trouble free miles! great car! no complaints, very satisifed with my purchase and the dealer.
Old 08-22-2005, 10:55 AM
2vettes

2,600 plus trouble free miles with exception of brakes squeaking once in awhile and a quirk in the navigation system. I even went swimming with the fob in my pocket (certainly not on purpose, but no problem).
Old 08-22-2005, 12:16 PM
redvetteC6
Drifting

Location: Huntington Beach Ca 1 out of 4 Americans are mentally unstable, so if 3 of your friends are OK . . . .
St. Jude Donor '05

VR Z51 Coupe, picked up 2/05, 5000 miles, zero problems. Love the car, wish I could drive it more!
Old 08-22-2005, 12:46 PM
bangbgC6
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

16,000+ miles and I could not be happier with this car. I guess I could be happier if I could get the paint option that is electronically charged so that it repels dirt.
Old 08-22-2005, 03:15 PM
mrdcars
Advanced

Originally Posted by Dr. Guaranexx
There are a few threads on various message forums regarding the orange peel issue. Some say it's due to the clear coat being put on too thick and some say it's because of overspray. In my case, it is very noticeable. I can clearly feel the dimples in the paint, and it is quite inconsistent. For example, the doors and rear sides, and rear of the car are badly orange peeled, while the top rear hood, and side mirrors are not nearly as bad. Like I was saying earlier though, it does not inhibit my enjoyment of the car in any way. However, the perfectionist in me tends to be **** about any imperfections.

For further reference, here are some links to threads discussing the orange peel problem:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/showthread.php?t=915802
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/showthread.php?t=807721
http://www.digitalcorvettes.com/foru...ht=orange+peel
I think this is way above the threshold of ****. Orange Peel, Orange Peel I can see it in my sleep, thousands of Vettes dressed in Orange Peels leaping over more expensive under preforming cars.

For the money we paid and the car we got I think we in my opinion got a great American deal.

Think about it has anyone commented about the Orange Peel as you blow their doors off.

Enjoy the car it's well worth the money and more!

Old 08-22-2005, 03:40 PM
Mayonayze
Le Mans Master

Location: Prepare yourself, for a pride obliterating bich smack. Fairfax, VA
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08
SEC > BCS 4 St. Judes '09

when i got my 2004 G35 and went to the associated forums...you could spend days pouring through pages of people bitching about things they didnt like about the car. they hated the bose stereo, they hated the cheap "feel" of the interior dash trim, they hated how much the brakes dusted, they hated that there were a handful of TSB's in the first production year of the coupe (2003). it seemed like they hated everything about the car, if you just read the forum. but when you met these guys in person at shows and such...you could tell they LOVED the car. and every car mag that voted the G35 as car of the year for three years in a row, agreed. and the C6 forums are the same way.

the forums are a great place to vent and get quick fixes for things that annoy you about the car. which is why you see a mix of negative posts in with the postive.

the C6 rocks man! and you would be doing yourself a disservice to dismiss this car based on some forum belly aching. good luck with whatever you decide!
Old 08-22-2005, 05:31 PM
NVR LAT
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I've had my LMB Coupe since mid-June, about 1800 miles now. The only problem I've had is a slight rattle in the drivers door (Dealer still having problem fixing - 3 times). Problems like this I can live with. We bought my wife a Volvo XC90 (45K) and had to have the transmission replaced after about 2000 miles (trans had to be shipped from Sweden). C6 Coupe - I LOVE THIS CAR!!!!!
Old 08-23-2005, 07:44 AM
05_C6Z51
Pro

Originally Posted by Braced
I've had my MY coupe since March. I love it! I have had two problems. I had the "erratic fuel gauge" and an a/c problem. The dealer fixed the fuel gauge and the a/c cleared its self. It may have been connected through the computer when the fuel gauge problem happened. They both happened at the same time.

The car is fantastic! I wouldn't trade it for anything. OK maybe a Z06!

As far as the A6? Nobody knows yet. Time will tell!

Stay with us!
4K miles, no issues
Old 08-23-2005, 08:27 AM
StanNH
Le Mans Master

Received 1,236 Likes on 416 Posts

The original post on DC was one of the most moronic posts I've ever read. This person obviously had absolutely no idea of what this car was or how it worked before he purchased it. Most of the complaints are centered around the car's electronics and the owners inability to understand them. A guided tour through the manual would have answered most of this person's complaints. Bitching about something like a DIC headlight warning is just stupid. The complaint about squeaks could have easily been handled by his dealer or by referring to the endless simple fixes discussed on the various boards.

IMHO, this is a person who never should have bought a Corvette in the first place. The Corvette is not for everyone, and this post is a prime example of why some people shouldn't own a Corvette of any generation.

As far as the car itself, it's a satisfying car to drive, it's beautiful, and it's reliability has been just fine for the majority of owners. It's not a Lexus or a Toyota, but it was never intended to be. If the possibility of an occasional trip for service doesn't send you into an anti-GM rage, you'll be perfectly happy with the C6.
Old 08-23-2005, 10:26 AM
Thinker
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by StanNH
The original post on DC was one of the most moronic posts I've ever read. ... If the possibility of an occasional trip for service doesn't send you into an anti-GM rage, you'll be perfectly happy with the C6.
Stan -

I absolutely agree with you about the original post. It was a mess. He didn't understand how the key fob worked; he didn't understand the Nav system; frankly - the DC post provided the impression that he woke up one day sitting in a car that he bought somehow. As you know from my posts - I'm a lot more "compulsive" than this guy. I'm also reading too much wating for the A6!!!!!

What got me to post some of the concerns here was the "bitch"" session that followed with the number of replies. Dissatisfied people started chiming in left and right. Did it imply a greater quality problem? Are there more issues than with an SLK or other car? Frankly, reading everything here - I tend to think the issues are minor and no more serious than my Audis etc.

Thx!
Old 08-23-2005, 12:29 PM
StanNH
Le Mans Master

Received 1,236 Likes on 416 Posts

Originally Posted by carthinker
Frankly, reading everything here - I tend to think the issues are minor and no more serious than my Audis etc.
Thx!
My current sedan is a 2003 Audi A6 2.7Turbo Quattro. This car supposedly has a terrible service record and the boards are full of complaints. My car, in three years, had to have a headlight washer valve replaced and had brake pads replaced at 18,000 miles...under warranty. It's turned out to be much more reliable than the car it replaced, a BMW 528i. I just ordered its replacement...a 2006 Audi A4 2.0T Avant. I also am lucky to have a dealer with an exceptional service department. This mirrors my C6 experience so far....minor service issues and an excellent dealer who treats my car like it's their own.
Old 08-23-2005, 01:20 PM
ProfMoriarty
Team Owner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lets face it, the Vette is a Chevy. You get a lotta bang for the buck, but reliability is a crap shoot.

If you want a reliable, fun car get one of these:

The downside is the lack of ground thumping, tire smoking V8 Corvette cool and the image and tradition that accompanies it.
Old 08-23-2005, 01:47 PM
Thinker
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ProfMoriarty
Lets face it, the Vette is a Chevy. You get a lotta bang for the buck, but reliability is a crap shoot.

If you want a reliable, fun car get one of these:

The downside is the lack of ground thumping, tire smoking V8 Corvette cool and the image and tradition that accompanies it.
Y'know - I looked at the Honda & the Z4. They aren't the same ride of course - but also, I have real worries about small cars like that. They're light and likely to fold on impact. I'm not super but still a six footer - I feel like a giant in those cars. The only smaller one I thought was more substantial both inside and in case of trouble was the SLK. The Vette really outclasses all of them for more reasons than just the "whoooaaa" factor.

Get notified of new replies

To Scared me silly!

Old 08-23-2005, 08:49 PM
CDN_Wolf_eh
Le Mans Master

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Default 27,000K ... (mostly) trouble free!

My baby was delivered May 20th... and since then I've had it out to Western Canada... the drive throught the B.C. interior was amazing... and most recently I drove out to Halifax. So I've been coast to coast! I drove the Cabot Trail while out east, and well let's just say... it is like a roller coaster for vette's! ...

One problem I've recently encountered is that the trunk partition sensor stops the auto top from retracting, and once it is partially open, you can not reverse the process. So I keep reaching through to the trunk compartment and unhooking, then reattaching the partition leads... and after a short pray to the Corvette Gods I hit the button again, and hope it will finish retracting... needless to say, it has been a pain in the butt!

Anyone else had this problem?
Old 08-23-2005, 08:58 PM
nascar5212002
Instructor

I have 1600 miles on mine and not a problem Its perfect

Last edited by nascar5212002; 08-23-2005 at 09:00 PM.
Old 08-23-2005, 09:21 PM
HighwaySpeed
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by tom4416
...giving the reader the impression these cars are plagued with quality issues. "Nothing could be further from the truth." GM seems to have some problems that carry over from year to year, and not just in the Corvette. Plus, if the squeaking roof is really your biggest concern, "you may be too **** to own a Corvette." "The roof belongs in the hatch, not on the car except in emergencies."

Quick Reply: Scared me silly!