C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Scared me silly!

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2005, 09:54 PM
Thinker
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Scared me silly!

I was just reading a string of posts from Digital Corvettes. I'm not really familiar wtih this site at all.

Since I think it wouldn't be fair to copy someone else's words to a different forum, I'll just give the substance. A bunch of apparently real complaints about:

1. Key Fob failures (a number of guys walking home).
2. Moisture in headlights. Many people posted in.
3. "Suggested' messages from the computer system (Headlamps suggested? I'm not really sure what this is.)
4. Excessive brake wear. A bunch of guys chimed in.
5. Of most concern, many posted saying the roof was squeaking. I've seen that one posted here and I've seen silicone gel posted as a solution. But I didn't realize this was a problem.

I've been lurking here waiting for the A6's to come out. There were other items like the fuel gauge that I recognize and am not bothering with here. However, reading post after post I had "product quality" concerns pop up. Many "A6 lurkers" like me started posting in saying they were going to rethink they're decision.

I'd welcome any comments or reassurance!!

Thx!
Old 08-21-2005, 10:06 PM
Braced
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had my MY coupe since March. I love it! I have had two problems. I had the "erratic fuel gauge" and an a/c problem. The dealer fixed the fuel gauge and the a/c cleared its self. It may have been connected through the computer when the fuel gauge problem happened. They both happened at the same time.

The car is fantastic! I wouldn't trade it for anything. OK maybe a Z06!

As far as the A6? Nobody knows yet. Time will tell!

Stay with us!
Old 08-21-2005, 10:08 PM
C6Harley
Drifting

Only 700 miles thus far, but none of those problems you mentioned. I love the car more than I ever thought I would.

Keep in mind that most people sign up for the forums because they are having a problem and want more info. If you were to set up a post asking how many people love their car and or have no problems at all, you would get a lot of hits.
Old 08-21-2005, 10:11 PM
tom4416
Racer

Remember where you are, a Corvette forum, frequented by people who are pretty much fanatical about their cars and will discuss any little thing that goes wrong, giving the reader the impression these cars are plaqued with quality issues. Nothing could be further from the truth. GM seems to have some problems that carry over from year to year, and not just in the Corvette. Don't know why they can't fix them but maybe they think it lends character to the car (didn't Lucas Electrics think the same way - shudder). The majority of owners are driving around out there without a care in the world because they don't read the forums. Personally, I like to know what to tell the dealer when something does go wrong because its gotten to the point where the consumer needs to be better educated than the dealer and the Internet lets us do that. The only problem free car I've ever purchased is a base model Honda Accord my wife uses for commuting. There isn't anything on the car to go wrong! My Toyota 4Runner has had both mechanical and electrical problems, all fixed but all equally as troublesome as anything on the Vette. The Corvette will never be a problem free car, there is too much technology on display plus, it's a high, high, performance automobile. Go read the Ferarri group if you want your hair to stand on end or take a Porsche in for a major service and feel your heart stop. No, for what it is, it doesn't get any better than this but hey, don't buy one if the idea bothers you, you may not be cut out to own this type of automobile - not a slam, just an observation. I've seen people buy Vettes, thinking it was an appliance and learning very quickly that's its not, some adapted, some sold. Plus, if the squeaking roof is really your biggest concern, you may be too **** to own a Corvette. The roof belongs in the hatch, not on the car except in emergencies.
Old 08-21-2005, 10:16 PM
Another Yellow
Le Mans Master

St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06

Originally Posted by carthinker
3. "Suggested' messages from the computer system (Headlamps suggested? I'm not really sure what this is.)
I have my headlights programmed to come on at dusk. When starting the car in the garage during daylight, I always turn the stalk before they come on. The message on the DIC says "HEADLIGHTS SUGGESTED". I do this as the headlights are not needed and would rather not waste the HID with a start that is not needed.

That message might also come on if the owner has not programmed the headlights to come on automatically dusk.
Old 08-21-2005, 10:34 PM
Thinker
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by tom4416
The roof belongs in the hatch, not on the car except in emergencies.
That's hardly the biggest worry. The only that crept into my head for the first time is -- instead of fun am I buying myself a too close relationship with a dealer over a lot of little things. ****? Yeah - I like cars and I have had some nice ones - though not vette like. I tend to scrutinize and learn everthing for a few months before I buy. I actually sold myself on the C6 once I FINALLY got one to test drive. But I've decided to wait for the A6 - I think a good choice.

No single issue will send me away - it's just an overall product quality concern that I had for the first time. Is the thing really up to snuff for a 60k car? I had thought so ... and still do ... but those posts gave me the creeps.
Old 08-21-2005, 11:03 PM
shopdog
Race Director

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I was just reading a string of posts from Digital Corvettes. I'm not really familiar wtih this site at all.

Since I think it wouldn't be fair to copy someone else's words to a different forum, I'll just give the substance. A bunch of apparently real complaints about:

4. Excessive brake wear. A bunch of guys chimed in.
5. Of most concern, many posted saying the roof was squeaking. I've seen that one posted here and I've seen silicone gel posted as a solution. But I didn't realize this was a problem.

I've been lurking here waiting for the A6's to come out. There were other items like the fuel gauge that I recognize and am not bothering with here. However, reading post after post I had "product quality" concerns pop up. Many "A6 lurkers" like me started posting in saying they were going to rethink they're decision.

Thx!
Well, I can't offer you any reassurance about the A6. That's an unknown quantity at this point. What we do know about it suggests that the weak 2.xx diff carrier they use with it may be an issue, as may the output shaft of the tranny and the diff pinion. That's because so much of the torque multiplication is done in the tranny rather than in the rear end, so the output elements of the tranny and the input elements of the rear will be under much more stress than is the case with the current A4 cars.

That aside, the most significant failures in the 2005s have been Active Handling system failures with the potential of causing loss of control while driving (still not a fully solved issue but mostly associated with defective yaw sensors in the steering), the early crank bolt failure problem which could lead to severe engine damage or even loss of control, and for a range of VINs, the removeable hardtop's skin separating from the frame because the vendor forgot to glue them in.

Minor issues like batteries going dead, A/C blowing hot air, squeaks and rattles, radio static problems, problems with the DRL sockets, brake dusting with the Z51 brakes, rapid tire wear, and the old bugaboos held over from the C5 of defective fuel sender cards and steering lock solenoids are merely annoying.

Now even with that litany of issues, most of us have had nearly troublefree experience with our cars. My car has now passed 12,500 miles with none of the listed issues. I did have an oil level sensor fail at 500 miles, but a sensor failure like that isn't unexpected in any new car. It is just infant mortality, happens with any complex piece of electronics.
Old 08-21-2005, 11:06 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,278 Likes on 936 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

Thx!
Genuine key fob failures are few and far between. There are some things to learn about the fob, like don't toss one into the trunk through the hatch opening and expect the car to "know" it's back there and warn you. Most who have had problems with the fob did so because they didn't read the book or did something stupid.

Moisture in the headlights is a non-problem. It's the way they're made and the moisture will go away. Other cars with those types of headlights have the same event.
Old 08-21-2005, 11:21 PM
Dr. Guaranexx
Instructor

One more possible issue to add to the list: orange peel paint. I'm not sure how common this problem is, but I am one of the cases. I'm planning on going to the dealer to see what can be done. Chances are they'll have to wet sand my baby :-( Besides the paint I haven't had any issues with the items identified in the list. The car has been running great and is a lot of fun. Even though I have an issue with the orange peel paint, I still have no case of cognitive dissonance.
Old 08-21-2005, 11:24 PM
Thinker
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Dr. Guaranexx
One more possible issue to add to the list: orange peel paint. I'm not sure how common this problem is, but I am one of the cases. I'm planning on going to the dealer to see what can be done. Chances are they'll have to wet sand my baby :-( Besides the paint I haven't had any issues with the items identified in the list. The car has been running great and is a lot of fun. Even though I have an issue with the orange peel paint, I still have no case of cognitive dissonance.

While appreciating yoru lack of perceptis dissociation, can you please enlighten me on the manifestaiton of orange peel. Is it a surfacing tecturing of the paint layer?
Old 08-21-2005, 11:43 PM
FunDriver
Le Mans Master

Received 144 Likes on 93 Posts

I've seen several posts asking about trouble-free C6's and there have been a lot of people respond positively.

I have a new Lexus and, of course, have had no problems. But it's not a Corvette, so when I get the Vette, if I have a few minor problems, it's not going to dampen my spirit at all. After all, I've had the transmission, rear-end, and fuel sending unit all removed twice in my C5 and I still look forward to driving it. Of course I should also say that I haven't had any problems with it at all for the last 32K miles.
Old 08-21-2005, 11:55 PM
Flatbush_Harry

972 miles with zero problems! Only prob seems to be elevation of my blood pressure when I'm driving...I attribute this to simple joy with the car and enthusiasm for the experience.

Flatbush Harry
Old 08-22-2005, 12:09 AM
Dr. Guaranexx
Instructor

While appreciating yoru lack of perceptis dissociation, can you please enlighten me on the manifestaiton of orange peel. Is it a surfacing tecturing of the paint layer?

There are a few threads on various message forums regarding the orange peel issue. Some say it's due to the clear coat being put on too thick and some say it's because of overspray. In my case, it is very noticeable. I can clearly feel the dimples in the paint, and it is quite inconsistent. For example, the doors and rear sides, and rear of the car are badly orange peeled, while the top rear hood, and side mirrors are not nearly as bad. Like I was saying earlier though, it does not inhibit my enjoyment of the car in any way. However, the perfectionist in me tends to be **** about any imperfections.

For further reference, here are some links to threads discussing the orange peel problem:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/showthread.php?t=915802
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/showthread.php?t=807721
http://www.digitalcorvettes.com/foru...ht=orange+peel
Old 08-22-2005, 12:10 AM
ByByBMW
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 536 Likes on 279 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'08-'10-'11-'12-'13 '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

In over 3500 miles, the only problem I have had is a CE light which was caused by the gas cap being loose. Turns out I can't put any pressure on the gas cap when I close it. Just set it gently in place then twist till it clicks. A little funky compared to all my other cars but it works this way. YMMV.
Old 08-22-2005, 12:56 AM
Tommy D
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16
St. Jude donor in memory of jpee '14

I think that those of us who have not had problems do not post that fact. Individuals that have problems need to post, so that all of us know what is going on with other Corvette owners. You can look at FAQ link below.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...81&forum_id=74

There is a listing of recalls, service bulletins and other known issues with the C6. Other than the AH problem mentioned by shopdog the only other "killer" was the placement of the rear brake line near the exhaust. DBS, loose crank bolts, and etc. can make us nuts. However, cars like people are never perfect.
Old 08-22-2005, 01:05 AM
vetteship
Safety Car

Received 71 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by tom4416
Go read the Ferarri group if you want your hair to stand on end or take a Porsche in for a major service and feel your heart stop.
a Ferrari service can cost you upward of $8K, Porsche's are more reasonable for service but repair costs are huge, and yes they have problems also.
Old 08-22-2005, 06:02 AM
_Nomad_
Team Owner

Location: Frankenstein never scared me. Marsupials do, because they're fassst…and they DART, THAT'S crazy!
Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16'-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23
-'24

I've had my C6 since last December and have a little over 3000 miles on it.
I haven't had one single problem with it....at all.

Well...I do have the sqeaky breaks but I know how to remedy that.

Get notified of new replies

To Scared me silly!

Old 08-22-2005, 06:58 AM
Larry B.
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have noticed that a lot of problems have been simply lack of understanding how things work. Reading and understanding the owners manual is a MUST. These are very complex systems. Now I an not saying there are no problems with these cars but, MANY times the answer is right in the owners manual and it really isn't a problem at all. Example...... "headlights suggested" is the cars way of telling you that it's getting dark enough for lights if youmanuallt turn the lights off. They default to an automatic mode.
Old 08-22-2005, 07:57 AM
footba4672
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I have had my car since April....11k on it now and just noticed the roof squeeking.....no big deal
the car is amazing and yes it is well worth the price
im still amazed at how people think that all foreign cars are problem free....go on their forums and read the nightmares.....for every corvette with certain issues im sure their are many more with NO issues or very minor ones
and try to get a foreign car to perform like that vette for the same price....YOU CANT
When buying a first year model you have to expect this..it happens all the time...look at how the C5 improved with age

In my opinion it is the customer service area where the foreign cars out perform the american cars..
Old 08-22-2005, 09:21 AM
Don LT-1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by _Nomad_
I've had my C6 since last December and have a little over 3000 miles on it.
I haven't had one single problem with it....at all.

Well...I do have the sqeaky breaks but I know how to remedy that.
I have 3000 on mine.

Quick Reply: Scared me silly!