C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I pulled the trigger on an 05 1SX

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2005, 01:49 PM
Dale_K
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default I pulled the trigger on an 05 1SX

The availability of a (comparitivly) low dollar Corvette pushed me over the edge and I sent a deposit to Kerbeck today. I wanted a manual trans so I felt an 05 would be worth it since the major change on 06's is with the automatic. I'm a little apprehensive about the clutch operation after reading every thread I could find and noting a significant number of complaints about poor clutch feel. That's the downside of Internet buying, not being able to test drive the car you are purchasing.

I couldn't get a courtesy delivery so I'll be making a 1,200 mile drive as soon as I pick it up. Probably not the best way to break it in but I can't do anything about it. I'll need to leave my cat alone for about 3 days when I go get the car. I'm a little worried about that too but probably less stressful on the cat than putting her in a kennel facility. I'll leave the toilet lid up for her. She likes her water fresh from the bowl anyway.

I've had 2 C5s, an auto convertible and a Z06 but I've never had a coupe. I hope the golf clubs fit. I might have to buy a smaller golf bag.
Old 08-23-2005, 02:04 PM
jdavis
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congratulations Dale
I wouldn't be concerned about the long distance purchase. The last three Corvettes were bought sight unseen and I was happy as a clam with them all. Especially the C6.
Old 08-23-2005, 02:19 PM
mpuzach
Race Director

Received 1,190 Likes on 594 Posts

Congrats, Dale. You're going to absolutely love the car. What color did you get? Any other options?

A couple of suggestions...
  • Since you'll be driving her for 1200 miles on the way home, you may want to drop the hundred bucks or so for the G.M. bra. It's black and not all that attractive, but it'll give you a lot of cheap protection against stones and bugs.
  • Be sure to heed the recommended break-in procedures for the first 500 miles. (I know - many here dispute the need to do so but it's better to be safe than sorry.) The owner's manual states to not exceed 55 mph and to vary the speed as much as practical for the first 500 miles. Try to stay away from using the cruise control. The good news is that you'll have the entire break-in completed half-way through your trip home.

Have a great time. Be sure to post pics!
Old 08-23-2005, 02:22 PM
Low12s
Team Owner

Location: Life isn't about waiting for the Storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the Rain.
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Congrats! and don't worry about the clutch too much. I'm at 500 miles and I cursed it for the first 400 miles. Either I'm getting used to it or its smoothing out.
Old 08-23-2005, 02:42 PM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Dale_K
I've had 2 C5s, an auto convertible and a Z06 but I've never had a coupe. I hope the golf clubs fit. I might have to buy a smaller golf bag.
Oh they fit, even two bags will from what I hear.
Congrats
Old 08-23-2005, 02:50 PM
mpuzach
Race Director

Received 1,190 Likes on 594 Posts

Originally Posted by Low12s
Congrats! and don't worry about the clutch too much. I'm at 500 miles and I cursed it for the first 400 miles. Either I'm getting used to it or its smoothing out.
Either I'm getting better or it's smoothing out. I'm at 1200 miles and it's MUCH better than it was for the first 1000 miles or so.
Old 08-23-2005, 02:51 PM
gkvetteuno
Burning Brakes

Received 44 Likes on 20 Posts

Congrats. The 1SX is sweet with the 6 speed. Did you get the Z51? The clutch is a little touchy, but definitely not enough of a reason to pass on a C6.
Old 08-23-2005, 03:25 PM
GGWOODY
Melting Slicks

Location: Buena Park, CA I seem to have left my electrolytes with your daughter

don't sweat the clutch man just takes some time to break in/get used to. but it's really not bad at all, to begin with.

-Woody
Old 08-23-2005, 03:27 PM
SellingBMWforC6
Pro

I'll need to leave my cat alone for about 3 days when I go get the car. I'm a little worried about that too but probably less stressful on the cat than putting her in a kennel facility. I'll leave the toilet lid up for her. She likes her water fresh from the bowl anyway.
Seriously...TMI. Hope you got this baby cheap cause this winter you apt to find an '06 cheaper. Enjoy.
Old 08-23-2005, 03:32 PM
Dale_K
Burning Brakes

Not a Z51. In fact no options of any kind. Victory Red coupe w/manual. They must have changed the clutch since I had the Z06 because it was perfect.

I REALLY want to be able to get a golf bag in the back while the top is in the storage locks. I like the drive home in the open air. I'll compromise on the bag and get something made for a kid if that's what it takes.

One more thing, does anybody know where the steering wheel sits fore/aft when you get a base car without the $4,000 telescoping column? Is it centered at the middle of the 1SB adjustment range?

Since I'm full of questions here's another one. Will the 1SA seat covers (the stock leather/vinyl seats) fit over the foam on the 1SX seats? I really don't like the black interior but that's the only way to get it on the 1SX and I've heard factory replacement seat surfaces are not very expensive. I might put some cashmere colored ones on the car if it is cheap and easy.
Old 08-23-2005, 05:34 PM
cerino2000
Le Mans Master

Received 134 Likes on 89 Posts

I actually would have preferred the 1SX seats but 1SX was on constraint so I got the 1SA. I will tell you though that the telescopic is the one thing that I wish I had cause where the wheel sits without it disallows me to put the desired amount of tilt into the seat without my legs bumping the bottom of the steering wheel. I could put the tilt up a little but I like the top of the wheel to be at the level that makes it follow the top edge of the dash.

Not a Z51. In fact no options of any kind. Victory Red coupe w/manual. They must have changed the clutch since I had the Z06 because it was perfect.

I REALLY want to be able to get a golf bag in the back while the top is in the storage locks. I like the drive home in the open air. I'll compromise on the bag and get something made for a kid if that's what it takes.

One more thing, does anybody know where the steering wheel sits fore/aft when you get a base car without the $4,000 telescoping column? Is it centered at the middle of the 1SB adjustment range?

Since I'm full of questions here's another one. Will the 1SA seat covers (the stock leather/vinyl seats) fit over the foam on the 1SX seats? I really don't like the black interior but that's the only way to get it on the 1SX and I've heard factory replacement seat surfaces are not very expensive. I might put some cashmere colored ones on the car if it is cheap and easy.
Old 08-23-2005, 05:45 PM
TommyV
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12, '16

Will the 1SA seat covers (the stock leather/vinyl seats) fit over the foam on the 1SX seats?
The seats have the same dimensions.
Old 08-23-2005, 06:04 PM
corvette1
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great choice, congratulations!
Old 08-23-2005, 06:21 PM
CL2TLS
5th Gear

Congrats!!! sent pm
Old 08-23-2005, 06:30 PM
steve miller
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

The availability of a (comparitivly) low dollar Corvette pushed me over the edge and I sent a deposit to Kerbeck today. I wanted a manual trans so I felt an 05 would be worth it since the major change on 06's is with the automatic. I'm a little apprehensive about the clutch operation after reading every thread I could find and noting a significant number of complaints about poor clutch feel. That's the downside of Internet buying, not being able to test drive the car you are purchasing.

I couldn't get a courtesy delivery so I'll be making a 1,200 mile drive as soon as I pick it up. Probably not the best way to break it in but I can't do anything about it. I'll need to leave my cat alone for about 3 days when I go get the car. I'm a little worried about that too but probably less stressful on the cat than putting her in a kennel facility. I'll leave the toilet lid up for her. She likes her water fresh from the bowl anyway.

Hey Dale,

I'd like to share some clutch info that was kindly told to me by another forum member. I'll make it a short story, I promise. As most of you guys know I've had a bit of experience with the C6. The car that I owned before my current coupe was a beautiful, black, colbalt, black, Vert that went thru 2 clutches and felt like it needed a third. I finally got pissed off and sold it. Now, I'm not a mechanic, nor do I know how to fix much other then the most rudimentry items on a car. When I was a kid I could basically take apart my 66 Beetle but that doesn't mean s**t today.

When I got my new MR Coupe last week I was amazed at the smoothness of the clutch. I was gonna post, but I chose not to, for a couple of reasons, one of which being you guys telling me I had a screw or 2 loose....cause after all, a clutch is a clutch...right?

I've corresponded about this with a couple of Forum members about this by email and here's what I've found out.

I was told that GM was originally using a "non linear" clutch engagement. and now they're not. From the small bit of info I read about this, and was able to undestand it seems as though there are now small actuators that help the clutch engage, and disengage more smoothly now. These weren't available in the earlier models. I didn't much understand this so I did a search and read this article. http://www.swri.edu/3pubs/ird2004/Synopses/039466.htm

It would take someone with a lot more knowledge then myself to explain this switch, suffice it to say that there seemes to be a marked difference between the early Vins that I owned, and the 33K vin that I now drive. Perhaps this will help to quell your fear of the 6 speed. I hope what I've just written is correct. The source is a reliable, old time member.

Steve
Old 08-23-2005, 07:13 PM
Docbrock
Team Owner

Received 444 Likes on 218 Posts

I'm looking at getting a base C6 as well. I don't mind traveling to pick it up either. If u dont mind telling, how much plus or minus MSRP did you pay?
Old 08-23-2005, 08:46 PM
GQMGT
Burning Brakes

Received 102 Likes on 52 Posts

I just lay a blanket over the stowed top and place my golf bag in front of the top behind the seats. I have a large golf bag and it fits just fine

Get notified of new replies

To I pulled the trigger on an 05 1SX

Old 08-23-2005, 08:48 PM
Dale_K
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Docbrock
I'm looking at getting a base C6 as well. I don't mind traveling to pick it up either. If u dont mind telling, how much plus or minus MSRP did you pay?
If you're really interested, just give them a call and ask for the price. You can probably get a better deal than me anyway. I'm kind of a pushover for red Corvettes. Plus I think I signed a confidentiality statement (can't find the paperwork right this second).
Old 08-23-2005, 08:58 PM
Dale_K
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by GQMGT
I just lay a blanket over the stowed top and place my golf bag in front of the top behind the seats. I have a large golf bag and it fits just fine
Thanks for that tip. I was going to try and fit them under the top behind the wheel wells. The blanket sounds like a good idea no matter how I load them to keep things from getting scratched.

Steve... I hope you're right about new clutches being linear. I just got back from a local showroom and their car was very light but definitely non-linear. Sort of like they had an over centering spring like the old Harley mousetraps. I don't know how many folks will understand that reference but they used to have a helper spring to reduce clutch effort.

Last edited by Dale_K; 08-23-2005 at 09:07 PM.
Old 08-23-2005, 09:17 PM
steve miller
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Thanks for that tip. I was going to try and fit them under the top behind the wheel wells. The blanket sounds like a good idea no matter how I load them to keep things from getting scratched.

Steve... I hope you're right about new clutches being linear. I just got back from a local showroom and their car was very light but definitely non-linear. Sort of like they had an over centering spring like the old Harley mousetraps. I don't know how many folks will understand that reference but they used to have a helper spring to reduce clutch effort.

Dale,

I don't understand the reference to the "Harley Moustraps" but I certainly wouldn't mind it if you'd be kind enough to explain.

Regarding the spring assisted "linear" clutch you refer to in your post how were you able to tell? You didn't happen to notice the Vin. My curiosity stems from the fact that I've had 4 of these cars in the last year (don't ask ) and the clutch on the new one almost feels as smooth as my 360 spider. No S**t. The difference can't be in my head....can it?

Thanks,

Steve

Quick Reply: I pulled the trigger on an 05 1SX