C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Convertible or Coupe

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2005, 12:33 PM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

Everyone is trying to rationalize this with logic - as if buying a Corvette is a logical desicion to begin with. I've owned two C5's - a coupe and a convertible, and I know have owned two C6's - a coupe and a convertible. I think you have to buy whichever one tugs at your emotions.

Having said that, I would say that if the car is a daily driver, a coupe is slightly more practical. As a "weekend" car - it's a no brainer - the Convertible is the way to go.

Having owned both, feel free to ask if you have specific questions.
Old 08-29-2005, 12:34 PM
z528e
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default coupe or convert

nothing looks like a vert with the top down on a beautiful day. your wife will love you for it.
Old 08-29-2005, 12:38 PM
Dr. Guaranexx
Instructor

Originally Posted by Dave S
Convertible is great...that's what sportscars are all about. Go with the namual top...a snap to raise & lower....plus you don't have to worry about another mechanism going bad. Also no intrusion into the trunk area as with power top. Weather sealing is perfect....ran into huge thunderstorms on way back from Carlisle & no problems with leakage. If wind buffeting bothers you with top down, there's a wind deflector available that mounts behind the seats....costs ~ $350.
Dave - Silver/Ebony Vert/Z51/MN6

It all comes down to a matter of personal preference, environment, and intended use. If you like that open feeling, live in an area that tends to have great weather pretty much year-round (California and Florida for example ), and do not intend to track the car, then I personally would go with the vert. However, if you plan on tracking the car, want more trunk space, or do not have that great of weather, then the coupe is the way to go. I have a vert with a manual top and absolutely love it. I too am glad that I didn't go with the automatic top since it's one less thing that can break and it has more trunk space than if it were to have an automatic top. So far I am definitely not regretting the choice at all. In my honest opinion though, I believe both the vert and the coupe look equally great, but are just for different purposes and environments.
Old 08-29-2005, 12:41 PM
mforman42
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Five years ago, I would have said there is no substitute for a vert. After several bouts with skin cancer, I now own a coupe. For me, at least, health has won out over emotion.

Old 08-29-2005, 12:42 PM
2vettes
Le Mans Master

Received 68 Likes on 55 Posts

As mentioned in the above posts, we obviously all have our own reasons for choosing either a vert or coupe. Nevertheless, the myths need to be dispelled. Verts do not leak (neither my c6, nor my 1996 C4). Vert tops have 3 layers of material, so it is quiet in the cabin with the top up. I do not know of any reason why you would need to replace the vert top other than from vandalism (in which case you live or drive in the wrong area). My C4 top is nearly 10 years old with in excess of 71k mile on it and it still looks great.

As for security, behind the seats, a vert's cabin is closed off from the trunk. A coupe's cabin is open into the rear storage area. Which do you really think provides a bit more security?
Old 08-29-2005, 12:45 PM
AGMS
Instructor

Originally Posted by U2bassAce

Depending on where you live. If you are in any of the sun belt cities and cost is not a factor and you don't plan on tracking it, then it's a no brainer a Vert all the way!!!! So there is nothing like it!!! Trust me!!!
Old 08-29-2005, 01:35 PM
auhagen
Instructor

I wanted a coupe, my wife wanted a convertible. We got a convertible. I am really enjoying the top down down but the coupe has a lot more room in it to travel.
Old 08-29-2005, 01:42 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by GGWOODY
The coupe offers a majority of the open-air exposure that the vert does, without the negatives.

negatives or a vert IMHFO (reasons I didn't get one):
-tougher to clean the top
-have to replace repair top at some point
-people cutting through top and getting into car
-water leaks (eventually, I'm sure)
-wind noise
-safety (I would hate to roll that thing...don't if I'de be able to duck
-less lateral frame rigidity
-heavier
-will have to add a roll bar/cage or halos in order to track it.

To me the coupe looks mean and snake-like from the profile...like it's rearing back its head and about to tear some sh*t up. The vert just doesn't have the same aggressive lines when I look at it.

This is the way I see things and the reason that I got the coupe. Definitely convince the wifey that the coupe is better....tell her it's like a convertible that won't mess up her hair as much

I knew there was someting I would agree with Woody on.
Old 08-29-2005, 01:46 PM
U2bassAce
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by mforman42
Five years ago, I would have said there is no substitute for a vert. After several bouts with skin cancer, I now own a coupe. For me, at least, health has won out over emotion.

Yeah this is my first car that has sunscreen in the glove box and I use it all the time.

I will say in some ways the Vert is safer. With top down driving the visibilty can not be beat.
Old 08-29-2005, 01:49 PM
C7 BOB
Melting Slicks

Received 86 Likes on 44 Posts

If you plan to travel, the coupe has more luggage room, is quieter, and is more secure.

If you plan to drive locally, and it's just a toy, get the convertible.
Old 08-29-2005, 01:57 PM
pencipa
Advanced

Default "Logic"

Ha! Here's a great line that should be in the "Quotation Hall of Fame"...

Everyone is trying to rationalize this with logic - as if buying a Corvette is a logical decision to begin with.

Not Corvette, but I owned 2 convertibles...

1) The noise-factor wears you down
2) The weather-factor limits use
3) Verts work best in slow-speed sightseeing (Sequoia National Park etc)

Forget "sun-belt-city" issues. You seldom see vert's here in L.A. with the top down unless trolling for chicks in the hi-viz districts (Santa Monica, Newport Beach etc).

But that's my .02 >>> If "trolling for chicks" is anywhere on your calendar, do a Vert!!!

Last edited by pencipa; 08-29-2005 at 01:58 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-29-2005, 02:12 PM
Lazerwolfe
Race Director

Poor new guy.
Old 08-29-2005, 02:20 PM
SliverMeMembers
Instructor

Originally Posted by erickpl
Okay, my wife is now warming up to a Vette, but she is preferring the convertible, while I am leaning towards the coupe.

Can owners chime is as to why they chose one or the other? Does the open top of the coupe provide enough open air feeling for you? Is the convertible top reliable electrically and what kinds of leak issues have you had? Do you feel closed in with the vert? How much luggage have you been able to hold in a vert with the top up AND with the top down?

How much luggage can you fit in a coupe?

I was thinking the coupe would be more secure, perhaps a bit more rigid (with some squeaking I guess), and hold more luggage/stuff in the back.

Opinions would be most appreciated.
I love convertibles, and I like the way the C6 looks with the top down. And I really like the painted waterfall that comes down into the interior. However, I don't like the appearance of the car with the top UP, it does not integrate well into the lines of the car. I do like the coupe's look, and while it is not a convertible, it's still a nice open-air ride with the roof removed. Also, IMHO, convertibles with severely leaned-back windshields (like the C6) tend to have a lot of turbulence which enters the cockpit at speed. It will tend to beat you up. There is NO turbulence at all in the coupe with roof-removed. Now, I have not personally ridden in a C6 convertible, so it may not be as bad as my '97 Cobra convertible was, but that car would wear you out!

In my Cobra, I did not have problems with water leakage, nor did anyone ever break in to it. In fact, it was a daily driver w/o issues. So, you really can't lose here, but I had the same choice and it came down to looks, so I got the coupe.

SMM
Old 08-29-2005, 03:10 PM
rm50
Melting Slicks

Received 202 Likes on 73 Posts
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

I don't want to (convertible) influence you but (convertible) I have 2 05 convertibles and (convertible) find them practical (convertible) and enjoyable. They (convertible) both have power tops and (convertible) that makes it easy to raise (convertible) and lower the top whenever you(convertible) want.
Get the (convertible) message
Old 08-29-2005, 03:18 PM
BearCreekC6
Burning Brakes

I can't see my wife handling the coupe top without damaging it at some point. As far as storage goes. I'm able to get two sets of golf clubs and clothes for two for a week in my coupe.
Old 08-29-2005, 03:19 PM
erickpl
Melting Slicks

Dang, that made me go into nervous epileptic spasms seeing (convertible) flash up on the screen.

Found a deal on a Monterey Red/cashmere 1SB MN6 QG7 URB U2K Z51 for $3000 off MSRP. Coupe that is... yes it is a 2005.

Besides the chrome ***** and the park in reverse thing, is there anything about the 2006's that should influence me to wait?
Old 08-29-2005, 04:03 PM
pencipa
Advanced

Default Buy now/later

As best I could, I went through want-ad's looking at Vette prices of used cars 1-year-apart. My average was $4K (again, I have a sample size, comparably equipped, of just 12 cases).

I made sure to compare C5 v. C5 etc.

So, assuming you can buy an '06 at MSRP (which you maybe canNOT do) then $3K discount on an '05 is NOT a good deal. Add-in that '05 is the "first model year" and '06 will have the (inevitable) tech upgrades, then really NOT a good deal.

Note: If you are an Auto guy, that option will cost you another ($1200?) in '06, a factor.

My .02>>> Wait for an '06.

Last edited by pencipa; 08-29-2005 at 04:05 PM. Reason: clarification

Get notified of new replies

To Convertible or Coupe

Old 08-29-2005, 04:10 PM
AMF
Drifting

Originally Posted by rm50
I don't want to (convertible) influence you but (convertible) I have 2 05 convertibles and (convertible) find them practical (convertible) and enjoyable. They (convertible) both have power tops and (convertible) that makes it easy to raise (convertible) and lower the top whenever you(convertible) want.
Get the (convertible) message
Not exactly! For longevity, as well as appearance, the top should not go down wet, when it's dirty, and when it's too cold.

Last edited by AMF; 08-29-2005 at 04:27 PM.
Old 08-29-2005, 04:32 PM
Guitarstar
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by GGWOODY
The coupe offers a majority of the open-air exposure that the vert does, without the negatives.

negatives or a vert IMHFO (reasons I didn't get one):
-tougher to clean the top
-have to replace repair top at some point
-people cutting through top and getting into car
-water leaks (eventually, I'm sure)
-wind noise
-safety (I would hate to roll that thing...don't if I'de be able to duck
-less lateral frame rigidity
-heavier
-will have to add a roll bar/cage or halos in order to track it.

To me the coupe looks mean and snake-like from the profile...like it's rearing back its head and about to tear some sh*t up. The vert just doesn't have the same aggressive lines when I look at it.

This is the way I see things and the reason that I got the coupe. Definitely convince the wifey that the coupe is better....tell her it's like a convertible that won't mess up her hair as much

Aerodynamics- No aircraft have rag tops.
Old 08-29-2005, 04:38 PM
sjreeh
Pro

Originally Posted by Dave S
Convertible is great...that's what sportscars are all about. Go with the namual top...a snap to raise & lower....plus you don't have to worry about another mechanism going bad. Also no intrusion into the trunk area as with power top. Weather sealing is perfect....ran into huge thunderstorms on way back from Carlisle & no problems with leakage. If wind buffeting bothers you with top down, there's a wind deflector available that mounts behind the seats....costs ~ $350.
Dave - Silver/Ebony Vert/Z51/MN6
What Dave said!

Quick Reply: Convertible or Coupe