C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Big ASS end???

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2005, 11:55 AM
blkc6z51
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by VET4LES
I like a big rear end.

Me 2
Old 09-27-2005, 12:33 PM
w.f.tracy
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wasn't one of the C5 and C6 design objectives, particularly for the convertible, the ability to carry two sets of golf clubs? While that is not as elegant a consideration as a low coefficient of friction, it probably does help sales.
Old 09-27-2005, 12:37 PM
hhntr111
Burning Brakes

I agree with the above. How many cars can you think of where, regardless of the year, you know the model? Corvette is one of the few. The big rear is because of aerodynamic considerations.

About retro, Mustang did it because their sales were sagging on the previous model. All they had was retro. The Vette always looks like a Vette, but always is an evolutionary way.
Old 09-27-2005, 07:58 PM
crewzzer
Intermediate

The vette stopped looking like a vette in 1984 when it had no ***** and was criticized, plus it had that stupid molding which split the car in half.
when people talk about the vette they talk about the 50's-60's after that the vette went into a slump.People weren’t excited till the C5 came out in 1997.

It has a "big ***" end cause of aerodynamics??? So how come F1 and Indy cars which run 350 miles/HR and not too metion NASS cars don't have this huge *** end on it? There's no wing on the back of a vette, it's just a big hunk of plastic.It's aerodynamic because it is very low to the ground,it's a wide car and it has stablizer bars front and rear, the thickness of the rear end has nothing do with aerodynamics.

The mustang has always been an excellent seller for ford.
The stang always had excellent power to weight ratio, and for that money you can't go wrong.
Old 09-27-2005, 08:06 PM
crewzzer
Intermediate

mmm last time I checked F1,indy and NASS cars don't have this huge *** end, and the last time I looked into aerodynamics it's the wing, satbalizer bars and how low the car sit's on the ground that keeps it on ground
Old 09-27-2005, 08:07 PM
crewzzer
Intermediate

More cushion for the pushin ah!
Old 09-27-2005, 08:10 PM
crewzzer
Intermediate

It's not my problem you have bad taste in womaaaaan

Last edited by crewzzer; 09-27-2005 at 08:14 PM.
Old 09-27-2005, 08:14 PM
crewzzer
Intermediate

People like you, In caes you haven't noticed that's why it's called a forum. if someone doesn't agree from you it's a stupid comment???
Old 09-27-2005, 08:18 PM
crewzzer
Intermediate

Originally Posted by vette05
*** end looks good to me!
It better $70,000
Old 09-27-2005, 09:40 PM
Deep Silver C6 Z51
Burning Brakes

The rear view of the car is my favorite.
Old 09-27-2005, 10:35 PM
427CPE
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoonose
There's a reason women are shaped the way they are.
And there's a reason Vette's butts are shaped the way they are.
'Nuff said!
Old 09-28-2005, 12:00 PM
purple heart
Melting Slicks

Received 77 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by crewzzer
Can someone tell me why does the C5 and C6 have a big *** end?
And why doesn't chevy come out with a Retro Vette?
***-end? I call it "Elephant Butt". But i DO love the style of it! Hands down! no
Old 09-28-2005, 05:21 PM
crewzzer
Intermediate

Originally Posted by purple heart
***-end? I call it "Elephant Butt". But i DO love the style of it! Hands down! no
No question it is a beatiful style, I'm not into big butts
Old 09-28-2005, 07:15 PM
robvuk
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

mmm last time I checked F1,indy and NASS cars don't have this huge *** end, and the last time I looked into aerodynamics it's the wing, satbalizer bars and how low the car sit's on the ground that keeps it on ground
Aerodynamics and downforce are two different things. Wings keep the downforce which is a trade-off for wind resistance. If you want to use retro for example, find a picture of the winning cars at LeMans going back to the 60's. When the Cobra first went to LeMans, they got their butts handed to them because they had no aero and could only get up to about 155mph. The following year they put a hardtop on it and a blunt cut "big butt" and they were pulling over 190mph to win the race. Stabilizer bars have nothing to do with either. Those are to compensate for body roll. Low to the ground is for low center of gravity and therefore body roll reduction in cornering.

And for your last misunderstanding, it wasn't till the 84 Vette that they actually had something that could be raced competetively. And it happens that there was a LOT of excitement over it. It's a dog by today's standards but coming fresh out of the 70's oil embargo and fuel conciousness, it was extremely exciting for its time. It had been over 10 years since any car had over 200hp and the 84 had excellent handling for its time as well. It was the racing and sales successes of the C4 that inspired the development of the C5.

See how your avatar is a C2 I can see why you think anything other is not as good. I had a 64, great fun for its time but pathetic by today's standards as far as performance, handling and everyday driving comfort. I remember when the 63 came out. I was blown away by its futuristic styling but now it just looks passe'. Times change, move on.
Old 09-29-2005, 12:44 AM
BigBlue
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts

Personally, if I had to choose between a 67 stingray or a C6, based purely on looks, the 67 would win hands down. The 67's were just down right sexy.
Old 09-29-2005, 09:50 AM
RBYCC
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

F1 and Indy cars are open wheel, so different rules of aerodynamics apply. Minimal body frontal area, but drag caused by the tires. So more an application of wings, spoilers and chassis shrouding to increase down force.
Nascar is limited to racing a car that some what resembles a stock vehicle.

The "big ***" aerodynamic is better known as the "Kamm Effect".
In essence the optimum aerodynamic would be to taper the rear section to a point. This is impractical, so W. Kamm concluded in wind tunnel testing that by chopping the elongated tail to a blunt section the superior aerodynamics remained the same.

Not sure of your age or you familiarity with older sports racing cars, but one can just look at the Tipo 61 Birdcage Maserati or the 330TR/LM Ferrari. Both are of 1960'S vintage and were very fast endurance vehicles as in LeMans and Sebring !!!

I hope this helps you to understand the reason for the "big ***" on the C5 and C6 !!
Old 09-29-2005, 02:31 PM
par34n5
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '06
Default ***

I love the big *** on the vette but not on my women

Get notified of new replies

To Big ASS end???

Old 09-29-2005, 02:36 PM
bt944
Instructor

So how come F1 and Indy cars which run 350 miles/HR
Your kidding, right?
Old 09-29-2005, 02:50 PM
MontereyRed

I talked to the Corvette design group before I ordered my 98 vert (ordered before any were produced). I needed to know if two golf bags would fit in the back, and they confirmed that it was specifically designed to that requirement. One reasonable explanation for the big butt.

My new vert has a TPW of Oct 3
Old 09-29-2005, 05:30 PM
crewzzer
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Walford
The C5 was the first all-new Corvette from the ground up (even the 1953 had parts from the GM bin -- the blue flame 6, etc). The large *** end is part of the overall aerodynamic design, specifically, I believe it decreases lift in the rear without increasing drag or spoiling the lines of the car like a spoiler would do.

As for "retro," it's a marketing gimmick, and I suppose a tacit agreement with the opinion that cars are not as visually attractive as they were 30, 40, or 50 years ago. Corvette's appearance has gradually evolved since the only drastic change in 1963. There are cues, like the creased fenders and ducktail rear window, of Corvettes past, but in a very basic way Corvette doesn't need to go retro, because it's never really changed.
That makes sense

Quick Reply: Big ASS end???