C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2006 OnStar & Hands-Free Phone feature

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2005, 08:28 PM
chadwick
Team Owner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 2006 OnStar & Hands-Free Phone feature

I was setting up OnStar in my car today and came across an issue. As as has been discussed recently, 2006 now has the dual-mode OnStar system so you can use your Verizon account for cellular minutes, etc. But, what seems to be missing from the Corvette's OnStar package is the hands-free mute button.

Without the mute button, there isn't any way to dial additional digits for things like voice mail or other tone driven menu systems. And without mute, you can't really use the hands-free phone for conference calls because the car's microphone pickup of the road noise would be constant.

I spoke with the OnStar folks who didn't know, and they transferred me to the OnStar folks that manage the hands free phone system. They didn't know, so they conferenced in the Chervolet assistance folks. They both looked very hard, but did not find anything about the existence of a mute feature.

So, have any of you other 2006 owners found a mute button with their OnStar system, or is this something the Corvette engineering team just overlooked?
Old 10-07-2005, 09:54 PM
Mr5150
Intermediate

Sorry I can't help you...

Do you know if you can add the car to share minutes with an existing family share plan?

Thanks...
Old 10-07-2005, 10:04 PM
chadwick
Team Owner

Yep... http://www.vzwshop.com/onstar/
Old 10-08-2005, 01:23 AM
benspruce
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I purchased 100 minutes to call out via Onstar today for about $17.00 for a year. The Onstar rep said the digital upgrade equipment to allow you to get a phone number and receive calls is available now. But you have to have your dealer order and install the equipment, and you have to sign a 3 year contract. Too bad it wasn't digital to start with.
Old 10-08-2005, 04:13 AM
gota07
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

Only the 05 models have the analog only OnStar units. The 06 models come with analog/digital units already installed.
Old 10-08-2005, 10:48 AM
TN 2005 C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In VI, VII & XII Veteran
St Jude Donor '07-'08-'09

Originally Posted by wanta06
Only the 05 models have the analog only OnStar units. The 06 models come with analog/digital units already installed.
wanta06,
I was told by OnStar that my 05 C6 is equipped with analog/digital ready equipment. Thus the reason for the upgrade to digital. The last e-mail I received from OnStar said that the upgrade would be available in Jan 06. Anyone heard different?
Old 10-08-2005, 11:23 AM
Braced
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by chadwick
I was setting up OnStar in my car today and came across an issue. As as has been discussed recently, 2006 now has the dual-mode OnStar system so you can use your Verizon account for cellular minutes, etc.

How can you use your Verizon account with the OnStar phone? I have an 05 that has the analog/digital ready setup. When I called OnStar last spring, they told me it had to be a digital system in order for it to work. Not a digital ready. I'm pretty sure the 06 has the same set up?

Please let us know how you got Verizon in the loop. Did you go through OnStar or Verizon for this? I have a Verizon cell phone and would love to combine the two.
Old 10-08-2005, 11:30 AM
Guppies
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'14, '21

Originally Posted by wanta06
Not true, my 05 has the analog/digital unit and I believe most 05 also have the same unit. It still only works in analog, unless you upgrade and I have been told that this will not be available until December. I imagine when December rolls around, On Star will do the same as they did in August and September and tell us that it will be available in February. By the time the kit is really available, we will probably be trading the car
Old 10-08-2005, 12:05 PM
C7Z51
Burning Brakes

Location: Never take a girl out for a cup of coffee, the last thing you want her to be is alert and focused. Tampa, FL
Received 74 Likes on 37 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

The 05's have analog/digital ready unless you've had digital installed after your purchase. Digital ready means exactly what it says. It's ready to accept a digital unit but does not have one. You can't use your Verizon minutes with onstar until you have the digital unit installed.
I do not know if the 06's have the digital unit installed from the factory but I know for sure that my 05 doesn't.

From the Onstar Website:

All OnStar-equipped vehicles have one of three types of equipment:

Analog-Only: OnStar-equipped vehicles with analog-only equipment were designed to operate only on the analog wireless network and cannot be upgraded for digital network compatibility. Vehicles with this equipment will no longer be able to receive OnStar services beginning January 1, 2008. At that time, service will be available only through dual-mode (analog/digital) equipment. Analog-only vehicles cannot be upgraded to digital equipment.

Analog/Digital-Ready: OnStar-equipped vehicles with analog/digital-ready equipment operate on the analog wireless network, but were designed to be upgraded to dual-mode (analog/digital) equipment when available for that vehicle. Beginning January 1, 2008, OnStar service will not be available on these vehicles unless the OnStar equipment has been upgraded to dual-mode (analog/digital) equipment.

Dual-Mode (Analog/Digital): OnStar-equipped vehicles with dual-mode (analog/digital) equipment operate on both the analog and digital wireless networks and will not require an upgrade in connection with the wireless industry's transition to the digital network.
Old 10-08-2005, 08:41 PM
chadwick
Team Owner

In 2006 the OnStar unit is Dual-Mode Analog/Digital, and has changed since the 2005 model.

EDIT: I did actually verify this with the OnStar folks.

Last edited by chadwick; 10-08-2005 at 09:30 PM.
Old 10-08-2005, 09:07 PM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

Okay, two posts have said that the 05 is analog/digital, but it only accepts digital if you get it upgraded. Is anyone else confused by this?

That to me is like saying my car is 400/500 horsepower, but it's only 500 if I go out and have it upgraded.
Old 10-08-2005, 09:24 PM
chadwick
Team Owner

Still waiting on some insight on the mute button.
Old 10-08-2005, 09:36 PM
'03blackonblack
Racer

I have a C6 without Onstar and would like Onstar. I have Onstar in my 2005 H2. Could I get onstar installed in my 2005 C6 and share minites with my H2???
Old 10-08-2005, 11:08 PM
SCModerator
Racer

I was at the GM "Auto Show in Motion" (recommended) in Las Vegas this past Thursday and talked to the woman at the OnStar booth. I said that many of you on this forum report that the OnStar phone to be analog only, but she looked in a book and said it's analog/digital ready. I argued with her (on our behalf) a little more and she called a colleague in Detroit who said we are wrong, it's analog/digital ready.

She said when they upgrade the Corvettes to digital, a digital phone receiver will have to be installed in the car (somewhere in the back or under the dash, she didn't know), replacing the analog unit.

She's also going to send me an email confirming all of this and if she does, I'll post it.

Gregg.
Old 10-09-2005, 12:20 AM
benspruce
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by TN 2005 C6
wanta06,
I was told by OnStar that my 05 C6 is equipped with analog/digital ready equipment. Thus the reason for the upgrade to digital. The last e-mail I received from OnStar said that the upgrade would be available in Jan 06. Anyone heard different?
I talked to an Onstar rep yesterday and he indicated the digital upgrade equipment is now available, but it is your dealer who must order it - not the owner. They don't charge you for the equipment or the labor costs to install the upgrade in your car. But you do have to sign and pay for a three year contract which is somewhere in the neighborhood of $500 upfront. Then you can add your Onstar phone to your family plan IF you are a Verizon customer. I don't know if another Onstar rep would say anything different, but this is what this guy told me.
Old 10-11-2005, 09:16 AM
chadwick
Team Owner

Get notified of new replies

To 2006 OnStar & Hands-Free Phone feature

Quick Reply: 2006 OnStar & Hands-Free Phone feature