C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

California Emissions and Out of State Purchase

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2005, 07:27 PM
TA1582
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default California Emissions and Out of State Purchase

As a reminder, you still have to sift through fact and fiction when reading the Forum “advice” from your fellow owners. They always mean well but don’t always put first hand knowledge out there. Here is some first hand fact about being a California resident, buying out of state, and then bringing your new car back into California. It is supported by documentation and my first hand knowledge of the subject. I have been there and done that ! Month’s ago I became new to the Forum because I was buying my first Vette and wanted to know everything. In the process of shopping I could not find a California deal and thought that MSRP + $ 5,000, or even MSRP was a bit much. I started shopping the country. I was finding much better deals out of state and then it raised questions for me about buying outside of California and bringing it back to California. Reading posts of others on the subject, my confidence level was 50-50. I read all the California DMV Code that I could that might stop me from proceeding. I also read every piece regarding California emissions as well. Regarding emissions, my only hope was that several Forum posts stated that all C6 Vettes were California Emission Compliant. One sales rep / dealer that I was working with was Dan Perry at Cable-Dahmer Chevrolet in Independence, MO….. and of course I’m here in Southern California. Dan was extremely helpful to me, not to mention he had both the car and the deal I wanted. I had Dan look at the information that I am supplying to you in this post and from there I easily made the leap…. It was a safe leap and I saved more than enough to pay for my trip, and the drive back was fantastic … the overall experience was great ! We’re here to talk about bringing Corvettes into California though. You will find the Emission proof you need in at least two ways for your purchase. First, if you and your dealer can look at the full window sticker document… it’s on there. ( See photos ). “THIS VEHICLE IS CERTIFIED TO 50 – STATE EMISSION REQUIREMENTS. IT MEETS EMISSION REQUIREMENTS OF ALL 50 STATES.” Second, the Emission Plate that is on the side of the hood, passenger side is very clear… “THIS VEHICLE CONFORMS TO U.S.EPA REGULATIONS APPLICABLE TO NEWPASSENGER CARS. THIS VEHICLE CONFORMS TO FEDERAL REGULATIONS AND IS CERTIFIED FOR SALE IN CALIFORNIA, AND QUALIFIES AS A ULEV1 , OBDII CERTIFIED.”

I see where some also say you have to have 7500 miles on the car to bring it into California …. Not so. There is script in the California DMV code that actually leads you to believe that….. not so. Here is my recommendation… Feel safe and have the dealer check the items I state here. Next, insure your new car ahead… all you need is the VIN… go buy your car…. Enjoy the trip back ( ya, I did break it in… 20 easy miles around the dealership there…. then various speeds / engine rpm the next 480 miles … the really hard part… then drive ! …. Everyone has their own break in methods… don’t dispute mine.. that’s another Forum subject but that was mine ). When you get back home to California, go get the car Smogged and head to the DMV with your normal papers. You will show your Smog certificate, pay the fees… the DMV guy will “inspect” your car to make sure it’s not stolen as well as check your emission tag…. and you will have to point it out. This is the standard tag on all C6 Vettes…. your Factory Emission tag on the side of the hood ( See photos ).

Hope this helps clear the air on any concerns you may have had as I did. Enjoy your out of state purchase and I hope it is as pleasant an experience as was mine.
Attached Images     

Last edited by TA1582; 10-19-2005 at 07:34 PM. Reason: Attach Photos with Post
Old 10-19-2005, 07:37 PM
mlongo99
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

I still can't believe that they make you smog it. You'd think that a brand new car with 50 state emission documents would be enough.
Old 10-19-2005, 07:47 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

As a forum member since last year and also live in California I did the same thing last April with a Corvette that I ordered from Monica in GA and picked up at the Museum. The only thing I did different was AAA did the inspecton and paper work. I learned everyting I needed to know on the forum. Some member's reported they bought out of state Corvette's without the California sticker and had no problems. I don't know why but I made sure mine did. I would do again for the money I saved.
Old 10-19-2005, 07:54 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Originally Posted by mlongo99
I still can't believe that they make you smog it. You'd think that a brand new car with 50 state emission documents would be enough.
This is California. The Govenator's state.
Old 10-19-2005, 08:14 PM
jabez
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought 4 out of my last 5 cars out of state so this is second nature to me.
WOW. I just noticed what day it is today. I had my Vette for exactly one year.
Old 10-19-2005, 08:18 PM
Lowlead
Racer

Any idea if the 4-year smog test exemption that applies to new cars purchased in-state still apply to out-of-state purchased cars?
Old 10-19-2005, 08:23 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Lowlead
Any idea if the 4-year smog test exemption that applies to new cars purchased in-state still apply to out-of-state purchased cars?
I have wondered the same thing. I heard once that the every other year start's when the car if first registered if it was bought out of state but I don't know that for sure. If anyone know's please let us know.
Old 10-19-2005, 08:31 PM
Nel727
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My experience was the same as TA1852. One poster indicated that a smog need not be done. I did the smog as that is how I read the information. Went smoothly.
Old 10-19-2005, 08:36 PM
Gary C
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Sounds like most of us here in this thread have been there and done that, yep when I bought my NEW 2001 GTS out of state 50 state legal I had to get it smogged... I lived in SoCal at the time.

Now When I was buying a used 1999 Prowler(w/3000 miles) I was told and I verified a used car Not with Cali emissions had to have 7500 miles or more but the car was from like PA or some state that had the same strict emission restrictions as The People Republic of California..... so it was cool... this my story and I'm sticking to it....
Old 10-19-2005, 08:52 PM
mrv
Instructor

Thanks for your post. I also brought my vert as an out-of-state purchase into California. It has not been flawless, but worth it. Thanks for pointing out where that all important sticker is under the hood. I spent over an hour at the DMV while they tried to find it, I called one local dealer that told us to look in the wrong place, and eventually the service manager for Cormiere went out to a car on the lot, found it and told us where to look. Sort of a "duh" moment, but I'll tell you that wasn't where any of us looked. But they inspected, checked, and needed the smog check that had to be done at a dealership (because I was told) only they had the information on the car.

The on going problem has been California state sales taxes. I paid them to the out of state dealership, however the paperwork they sent along made it look like I paid it to the other state. After the original visit to the DMV, a month or so later I get a letter from the DMV revoking the registration, and asking me to get a tax exemption from the Board of Equalization. But wait, I don't want an exemption, because I paid the taxes. Your basic governmental catch-22 that took an extra visit to the DMV to fill out a "statement of fact" and provide more paperwork showing that sales taxes were paid to Calfiornia. AHHHHHH!

So is buying out of state painless? NO. Is it worth the pain, YES. I got the car that I wanted, and when I wanted it. My local dealers were not able to accomplish that. Although Cormiere has now told me that they would have match the deal I got.

We'll see in a couple years.

Last edited by mrv; 10-19-2005 at 10:04 PM.
Old 10-19-2005, 09:43 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Talk is cheap when you already have the Corvette. They would sell you the moon for invoice if you ask.
Old 10-19-2005, 10:09 PM
Barely Legal
Burning Brakes

This is great information and I have had the same experience. You can purchase out of CA and bring back a 50 state car. Vettes became 50 state emissions cars in 2003.
On the sales tax item, you can pay the tax out of state and show the DMV the receipt. If sales tax was lower in the other state you will need to make up the difference at the CA DMV counter. I did this buying a bike in NV. It was kinda cool giving NV the money and CA the bird. Shortly thereafter I moved to a free society.
Old 10-20-2005, 07:41 AM
PimpDadd
Racer

This is all for not if you order from out of state and get a courtesy delivery -- they do all the registering for you just like you bought it from them so no hassles!@
Old 10-20-2005, 08:27 AM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Originally Posted by PimpDadd
This is all for not if you order from out of state and get a courtesy delivery -- they do all the registering for you just like you bought it from them so no hassles!@
Unless you get museum delivery.
Old 10-20-2005, 01:27 PM
CAVetteKerry
Advanced

Originally Posted by VET4LES
As a forum member since last year and also live in California I did the same thing last April with a Corvette that I ordered from Monica in GA and picked up at the Museum. The only thing I did different was AAA did the inspecton and paper work. I learned everyting I needed to know on the forum. Some member's reported they bought out of state Corvette's without the California sticker and had no problems. I don't know why but I made sure mine did. I would do again for the money I saved.
What paperwork did they require for registration at AAA?
I'm going to go by a AAA that does the smog check and registration at the same time...
One of the AAA people mentioned that a "Statement of Origin" was required if the car was bought from a dealer out-of-state.
Old 10-20-2005, 01:46 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Originally Posted by CAVetteKerry
What paperwork did they require for registration at AAA?
I'm going to go by a AAA that does the smog check and registration at the same time...
One of the AAA people mentioned that a "Statement of Origin" was required if the car was bought from a dealer out-of-state.
Bill of sale and they do the vehicle inspecton and verify the CA smog tag. I had the smog done at a local smog station. The dealer I bought the car from in GA (Monica) collected the CA state tax and registration fee and sent it to the CA DMV. No trip to the DMV required. No statement of Origin was involved just the bill of sale. Call me if you have any questions. Give me a pm if you want the number.

Get notified of new replies

To California Emissions and Out of State Purchase

Quick Reply: California Emissions and Out of State Purchase