C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Noisy interior, dynomatt maybe!?!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2005, 06:40 AM
hodgeee
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noisy interior, dynomatt maybe!?!?!?

Has anyone else compared the new vette to the older one when it came to noise in the cockpit?

I noticed at 80mph on the freeway, that the car is as noisy as my 03 was, well almost, no creaky interior or wind noise, but loud, and started to get hard to talk to my friend. Due mostly to bad roads, but never the less! I noticed no noise coming from the front of the car, but most of it coming from the rear deck or storage area. It is apparent that it is road noise from the tires, and my last vette got about 20% quieter when I switched to non-runflats! But my tires are brand new, and I don't think I want to buy $1000 in tires just yet, to get non-runflats. I thought about this weekend, taking the seats and carpet out, and dynomatting the entire floorpan, rearsuspension wall, and back storage area in attempt to quite the vehicle. I don't care about 20lbs more weight, when I weight 280lbs as is, just want it to be quiter. This if you ask me, is the only thing that keeps our cars away from the caliber of say a Mercedes, or BMW, or baby Jag. It is funny that I can blow away my friends Merc 500sl that cost him $82,000 used, but his car is stone quite.

I was wondering if anyone else has done this yet, and did it make a big difference? Even if it only makes a little difference, 4 hours of my time and about $200 in Dynomat will be worth it to me, since I drive about 1.5 to 2 hours on a daily basis, which can make this a little regretfull, like my last vette. Unfortunately I live 35 miles from work one way, and all my friends but one live even farther out.

Thanks, input appreciated.
Old 11-07-2005, 08:10 AM
jeffgdula
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe you shouldnt drive a sports car then. There nature is to have more road noise. Me, and from what I have seen on the board, and the rest of the forum members are absolutely amazed out how quiet this car is (especially when compared to a C5). I don't know how bad your roads are, but the interior noise would be about my last complaint on this vehicle.
Old 11-07-2005, 08:18 AM
jazzlove
Melting Slicks

Location: San Antonio Texas - Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic

The C6 is a lot quieter than the C5...
Old 11-07-2005, 08:18 AM
tom4416
Racer

Dynomat in the areas you are talking about will have a huge impact. However, this is the quietest Vette I've ever been in, amazingly so. I can cruise for hours at 75mph and never get fatiqued and a lot of that is from lack of road noise. Switching from the run flats will help some but not as much as in previous models since they've improved the tires so much.
Old 11-07-2005, 08:21 AM
capevettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,584 Likes on 2,169 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C8 of the Year Finalist Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C1 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

I really don't understand these complaints of road noise in the C6. I don't know what you were driving before but this is the quietest Corvette I've ever driven. I don't even find that the run flats cause any objectionable noise.
Old 11-07-2005, 09:12 AM
UBETRUN
Pro

Mine is getting a lot louder as the tires wear. I have a Z51 and am not quite down to the tread wear indicators yet, 17K miles of mixed commuter traffic. The cargo area carpet is thick but I'll be a layer of dynomat underneath would make the car quieter.
Old 11-07-2005, 09:15 AM
Wes Smith
Racer

Originally Posted by UBETRUN
Mine is getting a lot louder as the tires wear. I have a Z51 and am not quite down to the tread wear indicators yet, 17K miles of mixed commuter traffic. The cargo area carpet is thick but I'll be a layer of dynomat underneath would make the car quieter.

Where can you get dynomat ??
Old 11-07-2005, 05:32 PM
UBETRUN
Pro

Crutchfield or any car stereo store will have sound deadening mat. If you want the cheapest, I believe JC Whitney sells an off-brand that's very similar to dynomat.
Old 11-07-2005, 06:04 PM
Dmeech
Instructor

there are cheaper alternatives out there. Dynomat is HIGHLY overprised, just do a search on sound deadning on google for alternatives.
Old 11-07-2005, 06:32 PM
FunDriver
Le Mans Master

Received 144 Likes on 93 Posts

My '06 C6 is incredibly quieter than my C5...and I had sound-proofed the C5, knocking off about 20% of the noise. Even the tires on the C6 are quieter than those of the C5. I have no need whatsoever to deaden any sounds in the car.

Is it as quiet as my Lexus? No, but I don't expect it to be. With bigger tires, tighter suspension (Z51) and 400 horses trying to break loose, I'd be bummed out if it was that quiet. On some road surfaces it is louder than others, but again, that's relative.

Disregarding an error at the factory in installing the matting or maybe a lack of driving sports cars, I can't think of a reason for it's seeming too loud. On the other hand, my hearing isn't that great either...but compared to the C5, this car is really quiet.
Old 11-07-2005, 10:11 PM
useddialers
Instructor

Default Quiet please.

I have added some dynamat to my c6. So far all I have is the rear hatch and doors done. One thing for sure. When you do the rear hatch make sure and add several layers to the depressions in the bottom or you won't really notice any difference. My reason for reducing the noise is to improve my soon to be completed audio system. Here is a link to some of the pics: http://www.useddialers.com/c6audio.htm
good luck!
Old 11-07-2005, 11:40 PM
yellerz51
Pro

So how is the Blaupunkt sub working out? Is it powered by the stock system or do you have an AMP?
Old 11-07-2005, 11:44 PM
Mocoso
Drifting

Just cus the C6 is quieter than the C5 doesnt make it quiet... an 18 wheelers horn is quieter then a freight trains but its not quiet

Those run flats add noise to cabin - not saying its bad or good just saying the C6 cabin is not quiet when compared to sedans or MBs
Old 11-07-2005, 11:52 PM
vetracer
Melting Slicks

Received 15 Likes on 2 Posts

I have found that when using Dynamat (I have used Dynamat Extreme in several vehicles) I end up having to do the entire vehicle or the noise will become concentrated in the areas where you didn't apply it.
Old 11-08-2005, 12:47 AM
hodgeee
Racer

Originally Posted by useddialers
I have added some dynamat to my c6. So far all I have is the rear hatch and doors done. One thing for sure. When you do the rear hatch make sure and add several layers to the depressions in the bottom or you won't really notice any difference. My reason for reducing the noise is to improve my soon to be completed audio system. Here is a link to some of the pics: http://www.useddialers.com/c6audio.htm
good luck!
Thanks, those pictures are great for helping out, I think I will do the door panels a little also!
Old 11-08-2005, 09:51 AM
Buffy
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by UBETRUN
I also have a Z51 and find that the (apparently tire) noise from the rear varies a great deal depending on the road I'm on. In most cases it's pretty reasonable, but gets loud now and then - enough to make me start thinking about sound deadening. The worst cases have been on wet roads - I've wondered if some of the noise there was from water being slung off the tires onto the wheel well liners.

Anyone else notice such a variation in noise level?
Old 11-08-2005, 09:56 AM
rwpatte
Le Mans Master

Received 102 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by jazzlove
The C6 is a lot quieter than the C5...

Get notified of new replies

To Noisy interior, dynomatt maybe!?!?!?

Old 11-08-2005, 10:16 AM
vetdude
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

It IS still a sports car but much quieter than the C5. However, if you have the Z51 suspension, you will experience more tire noise due to the Supercar tires (same type used on the Z06 w/softer compund). If you don't have Z51 and the tire noise still bothers you, maybe you shouldn't have bought a Corvette in the first place. Maybe I'm strange, but, tire noise is just part of the package and I for one don't mind it for the performance and handling.
Old 11-08-2005, 11:17 AM
baf2000_1
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Buffy
I also have a Z51 and find that the (apparently tire) noise from the rear varies a great deal depending on the road I'm on. In most cases it's pretty reasonable, but gets loud now and then - enough to make me start thinking about sound deadening. The worst cases have been on wet roads - I've wondered if some of the noise there was from water being slung off the tires onto the wheel well liners.

Anyone else notice such a variation in noise level?
This is very true. When I was driving the car home I was talking to my Dad at 80 mph and turned off to a different innerstate. The road noise was so loud I had to slow to 60 mph to finish the call. So surface conditions can yield lots of road noise.
Old 11-08-2005, 12:25 PM
Hoonose
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 66 Posts

The interior noise in the C6 is less than the C5, and this has been well documented using sound pressure level monitoring. This is data that you can look up, as it has been published in the car magazines. The palpable difference is that you can listen to the stereo and enjoy it at sensible volume levels at 80mph in the C6. You couldn't in the C5.
My C5 was base, C6 is Z51.

Quick Reply: Noisy interior, dynomatt maybe!?!?!?