C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2005 for a 2006

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2006, 11:52 AM
vette4db
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My frustration is do to the fact that you may be correct, it might just be the battery.................but then again it may not as in some cases that I have read. I most likely would not trade in this car for the simple reason is that I don't have that kind of money to waste. On the other hand the little doubt inside my head everytime I am on trip away from home and I go to open the door and nothing happens will be there. Fine if after the battery is replaced it happens again somewhere less convenient than my garage, do I then pull this battery out also and have it checked? Through all of this back and forth dialogue the fact of the matter is my brand new GM car is sitting in my garage with the driver side window down roughly 20% and dead as a doornail. Yes, you are right all I have to do is pull the battery out and go have it checked................but why? It's a new car and I shouldn't have too!
Old 02-19-2006, 11:54 AM
1-bad-z06
Instructor

since when do you have to pull the battery out of the car to get it checked? They can do it with it in the car now days!
Old 02-19-2006, 11:56 AM
archtop
Drifting

Originally Posted by DSOM Z51
Its not a "rampage" sir. And you are right the forum is supposed to be helpful and friendly.

Friends don't let friends make those kinds of purchasing, trade in mistakes without at least making an effort to offer "helpful" advice.

You say that you want to trade your car because of "DBS".

How does it "help" you by suggesting that you go ahead and trade your car, for no other reason than what you "believe" is "DBS" as opposed to advising you to try a new battery first?

You may not, have "DBS" at all sir. And you list that as your reason for trading your car in. If it didn't have what you seem to think is "DBS" would you still trade it? From your prior posts it does not appear that you would.
I had battery problems 1 month after I had the car and my dealer replaced and upgraded it with a 7 year heavy duty truck battery( only because thats all they had available) and since then have never had a problem and the car has sat for 3 weeks at one point.I also have a 660 watt aftermarket stereo with 3 seperate power amps and a hardwired radar detector.The shift to reverse is second nature to me at this point.
I agree to take a bath on a "suspected" possible issue or because you want a different stearing wheel is...... well if I were to trade in and take a loss it would have to be cause I wanted a different car.The 05-06 difference does not warrant loosing 10k or more.Reminds me of the crank pulley scare drove me nuts for months,I still have the same pulley and never an issue.
Old 02-19-2006, 12:02 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

I wonder why GM eliminated the shift to reverse on shut down for 06?
Old 02-19-2006, 12:13 PM
timd38
Race Director

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

The company that makes the Corvette battery also make batteries for Toyota, why don't people have problems with Toyota batteries? They are built in the same plant, by the same people with same design, with the same quality standards...........
Old 02-19-2006, 12:22 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by VET4LES
I wonder why GM eliminated the shift to reverse on shut down for 06?
You need to do a little research. The shift into reverse requirement was government mandated in the '05. Not in the '06.

A better question is why is it after the shift into reverse requirement is gone, that there are still '06 Corvettes showing up with dead batteries?
Old 02-19-2006, 12:28 PM
vette4db
Racer

I am going to shift slightly away from what to do to how to do. Please don't flame me as I am very green when it comes to fixing cars. I can clean them with the best of them but fixing is another issue. My question is what is the easiest/safest way to remove the battery so I can have it checked? If jumping the car isn't working I really don't want to have towed to the dealership so they can check the battery. So I would prefer to do it myself and then if it is the battery go from there.

Thanks in advance for any help given.
Old 02-19-2006, 12:30 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

You need to do a little research. The shift into reverse requirement was government mandated in the '05. Not in the '06.

A better question is why is it after the shift into reverse requirement is gone, that there are still '06 Corvettes showing up with dead batteries?
Only Corvette has the steering wheel lock exemption because GM worked with the Feds to eliminate it. I wonder why?
Old 02-19-2006, 12:31 PM
timd38
Race Director

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Most people will check them for free, like AutoZone or an Interstate Battery Dist. Both sell Optima and they are the best (in my opinion).

Just take them the car.
Old 02-19-2006, 12:41 PM
vette4db
Racer

I would like to just take them the car but I can't get it started!
Old 02-19-2006, 12:45 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

You have to do something. Do you have a neighbor than can test it for you? Maybe a friend that can take the battery out and have it tested. I would call the number on the drivers door and have them flat bed it to the dealer and find out for sure what's wrong. I had a new Ford years ago that had a bad battery from the factory. It happens.

Last edited by VET4LES; 02-19-2006 at 12:47 PM.
Old 02-19-2006, 12:47 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Originally Posted by timd38
The company that makes the Corvette battery also make batteries for Toyota, why don't people have problems with Toyota batteries? They are built in the same plant, by the same people with same design, with the same quality standards...........
You sure?

http://experts.about.com/q/Toyota-Re...ttery-Dead.htm

http://64.233.179.104/search?q=cache...&ct=clnk&cd=15

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 02-19-2006 at 12:53 PM.
Old 02-19-2006, 12:53 PM
Hoonose
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by vette4db
How many of you have traded in your 2005 for a 2006 mainly do to DBS? How much did you end up losing money wise on the deal? I have had my second episode of DBS and I don't know if I will ever trust the car when taking it on long trips this summer. I know all about Priority Start, but it is a 50k+ car, should I have to worry about that also?
Please excuse Z51 as 'He's knows not what he says.'

I have heard of someone or two making the trade, but not just because DBS. You're bound to take a $10K hit, or so.

First of all DBS only hits MN6 and not A4. So if you're having A4 dead battery problems is not DBS! Just have your car and battery checked, and you're probably good to go!

If it is '05 MN6 here's some things that you can do to ensure your safe trip:

1)DBS takes overnight or longer to drain out the battery, and is (luckily) uncommon on trips where you drive significant distances daily.

2)As you said: PriorityStart module. It's a safe a simple solution, around $70, and an easy install. Just make sure that you keep your emergency key with you at all times, just in case.

3)Battery charger or tender, not really too bad or that inconvenient a solution in my mind. But of course none of this should be unnecessary in ANY new car!

4)Lastly, and this is just my theory. Before you exit the car, shift to neutral and see if the DIC warning 'shift to reverse' comes on. If it does, that would mean that the car's electrical system did not shut down and DBS is now pending. Shift back to reverse for a few seconds, then back to neutral and make sure the reverse sensor 'took' and shut everything down properly.
Old 02-19-2006, 12:56 PM
AC54ME
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
CI 6-7-8-9 Veteran
CI-VI Car Show Winner
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

Yes OVERBLOWN

This is precisely why I am so adamantly against spreading panic with that crap.

Or, is it possible that the reason, or another reason, is that you own a '05

Really, you need to find another topic to address befor you get a heart attack, so here is a for you.

Old 02-19-2006, 01:05 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Originally Posted by AC54ME
Or, is it possible that the reason, or another reason, is that you own a '05

Really, you need to find another topic to address befor you get a heart attack, so here is a for you.

You really want to see this guy trade his car in on an '06 for what he thinks is "DBS" and take a beating on the trade in, all so that you can stand on the sidelines and be amused?

And then possibly wind up with the same problem that he started with, when he may simply have a bad battery?

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...76&forum_id=74

What "helpful" advice do you have for him AC54ME? What, "I told you so." "I told you, don't buy the first year model?" Does that help him now? Where have you tried to help him?

Enjoy your C5s.

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 02-19-2006 at 02:15 PM.
Old 02-19-2006, 01:12 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Hoonose
Please excuse Z51 as 'He's knows not what he says.'

I have heard of someone or two making the trade, but not just because DBS. You're bound to take a $10K hit, or so.

First of all DBS only hits MN6 and not A4. So if you're having A4 dead battery problems is not DBS! Just have your car and battery checked, and you're probably good to go!

If it is '05 MN6 here's some things that you can do to ensure your safe trip:

1)DBS takes overnight or longer to drain out the battery, and is (luckily) uncommon on trips where you drive significant distances daily.

2)As you said: PriorityStart module. It's a safe a simple solution, around $70, and an easy install. Just make sure that you keep your emergency key with you at all times, just in case.

3)Battery charger or tender, not really too bad or that inconvenient a solution in my mind. But of course none of this should be unnecessary in ANY new car!

4)Lastly, and this is just my theory. Before you exit the car, shift to neutral and see if the DIC warning 'shift to reverse' comes on. If it does, that would mean that the car's electrical system did not shut down and DBS is now pending. Shift back to reverse for a few seconds, then back to neutral and make sure the reverse sensor 'took' and shut everything down properly.
If you read his very first post with regard to "DBS", he actually started the car up, shut it off and went back inside to retrieve something, came back out and the car would not start. This was the initial episode.
Old 02-19-2006, 01:18 PM
AC54ME
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
CI 6-7-8-9 Veteran
CI-VI Car Show Winner
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

You really want to see this guy trade his car in on an '06 for what he thinks is "DBS" and take a beating on the trade in all so that you can stand on the sidelines and be amused?

And then possibly wind up with the same problem that he started with when he may simply have a bad battery?

What "helpful" advice do you have for him AC54ME? What, "I told you so." "I told you, don't buy the first year model?" Does that help him now?

Enjoy your C5s.
Sometimes members don't really know when to quit.

I've also gone through a C6. So, what is your point?

Like a lot of others have said (better than I can), take a look at the , and understand the concept of my post.

Get notified of new replies

To 2005 for a 2006

Old 02-19-2006, 01:31 PM
Hoonose
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by vette4db
How many of you have traded in your 2005 for a 2006 mainly do to DBS? How much did you end up losing money wise on the deal? I have had my second episode of DBS and I don't know if I will ever trust the car when taking it on long trips this summer. I know all about Priority Start, but it is a 50k+ car, should I have to worry about that also?
As per Z51, as I can't find this:

"If you read his very first post with regard to "DBS", he actually started the car up, shut it off and went back inside to retrieve something, came back out and the car would not start. This was the initial episode."

This does not sound like DBS.

Can you describe in more detail your dead battery episodes?
Old 02-19-2006, 02:02 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Hoonose
As per Z51, as I can't find this:

"If you read his very first post with regard to "DBS", he actually started the car up, shut it off and went back inside to retrieve something, came back out and the car would not start. This was the initial episode."

This does not sound like DBS.

Can you describe in more detail your dead battery episodes?
Do you mean that you cannot find his initial description of the event Hoonose?

If this is what you mean then it is here:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...17&forum_id=74

In that post he says "I went to the dealership and they kind of knew what I was talking about but somewhat played dumb."

Did you get it started back vette4db ???? Did you take the car back to the dealership?

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 02-19-2006 at 02:06 PM.
Old 02-19-2006, 02:15 PM
Low12s
Team Owner

Location: Life isn't about waiting for the Storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the Rain.
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

You might want to check this before you do that.

Better than 15% of all the manuals reported in that poll having had dead batteries.

Wouldn't it be the irony of ironies if you were to wind up with an '06 with battery problems too. After dropping all that dough. Especially if all you had to do was put another battery in your own car.

Seriously, why not just have your battery checked and quit over reacting and being gripped by fear over this overblown "dead battery syndrome" crap.
I have never experienced DBS

Quick Reply: 2005 for a 2006