C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My first vette!...any fix-its for scratched interior door panel?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2006, 05:00 PM
vetteuphoria
Drifting

Received 65 Likes on 44 Posts

Default My first vette!...any fix-its for scratched interior door panel? (Update)

Sorry for a long post. I’ve highlighted the sections to help you speed over anything not of interest.

New vette:
Got my C6 this last weekend! VY (ebony) MN6 3LT Z51coupe

Background:
I had always believed I would buy from a forum dealer for all their support, great pricing and professionalism which is so well reported on this forum. My wife and I discussed delivery and even became more serious about NCM pick-up. We had one major issue: color choice. Never in my life have I ever belabored such a decision. Well, we visited a dealer 60 miles away who happened to have all color selections represented in his inventory. My wife and daughter had told me to go with yellow from the beginning (my original choice), but I wanted to settle it once for all by seeing all colors together (I generally gravitate toward blue, but MR and DSOM--really all of them-- were confusing me). Well, the yellow spoke to me.

When approached, I openly told the dealer I just wanted to see all the colors in person, side-by-side. As conversation continued, I told him about Kerbeck’s prices and that I would do delivery or NCM. The salesman pulled up Kerbeck’s website and went to the sales manager. To my amazement, they said they would match the deal! On top of that, they gave me high Kelley Blue Book/Edmunds on my trade in: an ‘03 350Z. All the other debates of waiting for an ‘07, waiting for greater discounts, A6 or MN6, etc. seemed to vanish. We couldn’t pass it up seeing my dream car in front of me.

Thanks to all who contribute to this forum (I still refer vette inquiries to this forum and its dealers, and, if things continue to go well, my dealer in the South Frisco Bay Area) .

Return to domestic after 26 years!
Since 1980, I’ve been purchasing nothing but imports (about 15 cars and trucks total). I won’t get into my reasons, I’ll just commend GM for producing a winner like the C6 to bring me back. I know there will be some issues, but bang for the buck, its undisputed. It possesses power, agility and sophistication. And how can I forget style and being the American icon?

Now…Buying blues:
My car sat on the dealer lot 4 weeks. It was the 1st vette a customer would approach in the vette section. It also happened to be placed right in front of the dealership’s front door. As you can imagine, everyone who wanted a vette--or just wanted to sit in one--did. The dealer assured me (as always) that they will be able to buff out a few paint scratches as well as the scuff marks on the door sill and lower soft-touch interior panel. I even told him how meticulous (“****”) I am. He agreed, of course, when spending this much money on a new car.

It was dark by the time we joyfully drove off. The salesman assured me I could return if I saw something which was not to my satisfaction. Upon closer inspection the following day, I easily notice a few powdery marks (residue from scuffs) in the lower portion of the soft-touch interior door panel. Upon closer inspection, and gently using a damp clean 100% terry cloth, I notice there are a couple of lines etched through the surface. In addition, I saw dozens of fine etchings and a tiny chip in the paint along the door sill edge where people had dragged their feet. I phoned the salesperson and he said to bring it in, but readily showed concern about a fix for the door panel. Admittedly, thus far, this dealership has handled us with great professionalism. But I do envy those of you who took delivery at NCM or ultra-meticulous dealerships who wouldn‘t even dare allow such a thing to pass through their quality control. I delayed action thus far due to foul weather and falling under the weather myself.

Fix-its?
Anyone know of any remedies or fix-its to the soft-touch interior panel? Any recommendations period? Am I being too unrealistic or allowing insignificant things to steal my joy?

Special Thanks to anyone who actually read through this entire post.

UPDATE:

Sorry to bump this back up to the top. Just wanted to sincerely thank those that responded.

When we arrived at the dealership, the salesperson saw us pulling in. He actually came out and warmly greeted us. He even took a picture of my wife and me with the new C6 (we brought our camera--it was too dark the night of the sale).

Anyway, he readily examined the scuffs and paint chip with an open attitude (I had already concluded I would not have them touch the door panel. The line could only be detected close range under certain lighting). He personally remained with the car while detailers worked on it. The general manager even came out to us to shoot the breeze. Very nice people.

When he brought it back, what a difference! Not only that, but they de-bugged the front bumper (bug splattered from the 60+ mile drive to the dealership) and gave us two free Corvette caps! That was a nice touch indeed

I am very pleased. Thanks all for responding

Last edited by vetteuphoria; 04-04-2006 at 05:09 PM.
Old 03-31-2006, 05:19 PM
dollarbill
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 82 Likes on 48 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11

First, let me tell you that I am not an expert on finish restoration and repair. That said, here goes. The soft touch interior can be cleaned with any number of solutions. I do not think that it can be 'repaired'. If the scratch or abraision penetrates the surface, replacement is the best way to handle the repair. As for the scuffs on the sill, those can usually be buffed out. The rubber protective cover on the flat part of the sill is actually little logos and it can be removed. This will allow the surface to be buffed or painted and then a new rubber protective cover stuck down. Your dealership should be capable of handling all of the problems and they should be use to picky Vette drivers. Good Luck
Bill
Old 03-31-2006, 05:33 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Why mess with it. Take it back and show them what they did. They will take care of it. Do it soon so they won't blame you.
Old 03-31-2006, 05:35 PM
PO10TIAL
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by VET4LES
Why mess with it. Take it back and show them what they did. They will take care of it. Do it soon so they won't blame you.

............... the sooner the better
Old 03-31-2006, 05:41 PM
vetteuphoria
Drifting

Thanks for the good info as well as encouragement
Old 03-31-2006, 06:46 PM
Ucraz-E
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can try rubbing one out with a Mr clean eraser bar, if it's just a scuff mark.
Old 03-31-2006, 07:01 PM
Indy-hp
Le Mans Master

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

If it really bothers you, certainly have them fix it, even if it means a new door panel. However, I have finally decided that it is better not to let anyone else touch my car if the defect is not visible upon a casual inspection. For example, I have a 6"-long scratch in the clearcoat on top of the passenger front fender that came with the car. It is invisible from all but just the right angle in the right light, that's why I didn't see it when I took delivery. I'll probably have it buffed out someday, but it doesn't bother me enough to let the bozos at the Chevy dealer touch my car.

As to your problem, I would rather have an nearly invisible scratch than repeated trips to the dealer to fix a new door panel that is mis-aligned, rattles, etc., so you might consider ignoring it, if it doesn't bother you too much.
Old 03-31-2006, 07:36 PM
mpuzach
Race Director

Received 1,190 Likes on 594 Posts

Congrats on your new Corvette!

As a "North Bay-er", I'm curious as to which dealership you did business with. I shopped most of them before finally ordering from Sunnyvale Chevrolet; some treated me very well, others very poorly.
Old 03-31-2006, 08:41 PM
smoothridec5
Racer

COngrats on the new Corvette and good luck with your scratch.
Old 03-31-2006, 10:20 PM
vetteuphoria
Drifting

Originally Posted by mpuzach
Congrats on your new Corvette!

As a "North Bay-er", I'm curious as to which dealership you did business with. I shopped most of them before finally ordering from Sunnyvale Chevrolet; some treated me very well, others very poorly.
Got it south of Sunnyvale, down in Morgan Hill at Courtesy Chevrolet. Thanks for the congrats.
Old 03-31-2006, 11:03 PM
velocity yellow 2006
Instructor

If six months from now this is going to bug you, have the dealer repair or replace the panel.
Old 03-31-2006, 11:41 PM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

Default door

I got a damn paint flake in the door jam because the friggin seatbelts don't retract sometimes and once got caught in the door when i closed it. touch up for now....
Old 03-31-2006, 11:48 PM
xs650
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It sounds like you are tying to be realistic and reasonable. Tell the dealer what you want fixed that really matters to you. Also point out a few little things that you might be willing to let slide if he fixes the others 1st class so he gets the idea you are trying to meet him 1/2 way.
Old 04-01-2006, 10:23 AM
double eagle
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by VET4LES
Old 04-01-2006, 12:24 PM
lt1george
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by smoothridec5
COngrats on the new Corvette and good luck with your scratch.
Thanks for buying American again, Best of Luck.
Old 04-01-2006, 12:57 PM
Hoosier Red
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lt1george
Thanks for buying American again, Best of Luck.
Old 04-01-2006, 09:57 PM
Catchindirtbags
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Default I got mine at Courtesy as well

So far so good with Courtesy for me. Were I you I'd take it back have them fix it. If you try something and it gets worse somehow you are done. I would just make sure they rectify it.
Old 04-04-2006, 04:56 PM
vetteuphoria
Drifting

UPDATE:

Sorry to bump this back up to the top. Just wanted to sincerely thank those that responded.

When we arrived at the dealership, the salesperson saw us pulling in. He actually came out and warmly greeted us. He even took a picture of my wife and me with the new C6 (we brought our camera--it was too dark the night of the sale).

Anyway, he readily examined the scuffs and paint chip with an open attitude (I had already concluded I would not have them touch the door panel. The line could only be detected close range under certain lighting). He personally remained with the car while detailers worked on it. The general manager even came out to us to shoot the breeze. Very nice people.

When he brought it back, what a difference! Not only that, but they de-bugged the front bumper (bug splattered from the 60+ mile drive to the dealership) and gave us two free Corvette caps! That was a nice touch indeed

I am very pleased. Thanks all for responding

Get notified of new replies

To My first vette!...any fix-its for scratched interior door panel?

Quick Reply: My first vette!...any fix-its for scratched interior door panel?