C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is Arco Gas As Good As Shell, Chevron, Mobil, Texico, ect...

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2006, 12:35 AM
APLark
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Is Arco Gas As Good As Shell, Chevron, Mobil, Texico, ect...

This may have been discussed before but is there any difference between Arco 91 and the others: Shell 91, Chevron 91, Mobil 91, Texico 91, ect... besides the obvious difference which is price. Will my performance be the same? Will it cause any long term damage if there is a difference? I would never use anything but 91; that isn't even up for dicussion. That is what is recommended for a C6. But here in Southern Calif. in the area where I live and work there is almost a 30 cts difference in price.

APLark
Old 05-24-2006, 12:50 AM
NORTY
Race Director

Received 390 Likes on 244 Posts

Originally Posted by APLark
This may have been discussed before but is there any difference between Arco 91 and the others: Shell 91, Chevron 91, Mobil 91, Texico 91, ect... besides the obvious difference which is price. Will my performance be the same? Will it cause any long term damage if there is a difference? I would never use anything but 91; that isn't even up for dicussion. That is what is recommended for a C6. But here in Southern Calif. in the area where I live and work there is almost a 30 cts difference in price.

APLark
I always avoid ARCO (BP),with excellent results!
Old 05-24-2006, 12:51 AM
pmarone
Drifting

No, Arco is not a Top Tier gasoline. Mileage might not suffer, but long term you aren't getting the detergents to keep the engine clean to manufacturer's specs.

See http://www.toptiergas.com for more info.
Old 05-24-2006, 01:00 AM
npm
Instructor

wow, according to that website mobil isn't on that list....
Old 05-24-2006, 01:03 AM
APLark
Racer

See this is why I ask questions on the forum. Good intelligent responses with data to back it up. My wife works for Lexus and she is even amazed at the quality of the responses.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!
Old 05-24-2006, 01:25 AM
TommyV
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12, '16

In So Cal, I've heard that it all comes down from the North in one pipe. Once in the trucks, some of the different companies add the detergents that meet the "Top Tier" standard. I suppose if you used Arco, then added Techron or something equivalent, you'd have the same thing. It's just a matter of how much.
Old 05-24-2006, 01:52 AM
jabez
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If you use Arco gas 3 or 4 times a year, do you know whats going to happen?

NOTHING.
Old 05-24-2006, 02:31 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

APLark
I have asked this very same question time and time again and never get an answer. The only answer you will get on HERE is the Arco gas is not on the Top Tier Gasoline list like Shell, Chevron, 76 along with some others and doesn't have detergents to keep your deposits down .
I have faithfully used ARco on one of my other cars for at least 100,000 miles and there is a big price difference between Arco and Chevron but Arco doesn't have gas cards or advertise on TV like Shell or Chevron. One thing for sure is it is the lowest cost gas out there by far and $$$ is $$$ and I'm sure they have to conform to a standard what is minimal requirements for sale of their gasoline.
Old 05-24-2006, 02:32 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

APLark
I have asked this very same question time and time again and never get an answer. The only answer you will get on HERE is the Arco gas is not on the Top Tier Gasoline list like Shell, Chevron, 76 along with some others and doesn't have detergents to keep your deposits down .
I have faithfully used ARco on one of my other cars for at least 100,000 miles and there is a big price difference between Arco and Chevron but Arco doesn't have gas cards or advertise on TV like Shell or Chevron. One thing for sure is it is the lowest cost gas out there by far and $$$ is $$$ and I'm sure they have to conform to a standard what is minimal requirements for sale of their gasoline.....
Old 05-24-2006, 02:33 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Originally Posted by jabez
If you use Arco gas 3 or 4 times a year, do you know whats going to happen?

NOTHING.
Old 05-24-2006, 02:37 AM
sallen619
Drifting

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by TommyV
In So Cal, I've heard that it all comes down from the North in one pipe. Once in the trucks, some of the different companies add the detergents that meet the "Top Tier" standard. I suppose if you used Arco, then added Techron or something equivalent, you'd have the same thing. It's just a matter of how much.

Old 05-24-2006, 02:40 AM
pmarone
Drifting

I used ARCO in my C5 for most of 5 years. Before I sold it with about 115K miles on it, I took it into the dealer. They said the engine was nastily varnished, which was attributed to the ARCO gas.

They recommended Chevron, but I bounce between the Top Tier companies.
Old 05-24-2006, 03:00 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

[QUOTE=pmarone]I used ARCO in my C5 for most of 5 years. Before I sold it with about 115K miles on it, I took it into the dealer. They said the engine was nastily varnished, which was attributed to the ARCO gas.

Your forgot to add the Chevron Techoline addictive and or the RedLine gasoline addictive.
Old 05-24-2006, 03:02 AM
xlr8rvette
Drifting

Location: Fayetteville Arkansas recently moved from Oakland Ca
Received 58 Likes on 37 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

[QUOTE=pmarone]I used ARCO in my C5 for most of 5 years. Before I sold it with about 115K miles on it, I took it into the dealer. They said the engine was nastily varnished, which was attributed to the ARCO gas.

That's a good enough answer for me..I'll stay with Chevron!
Old 05-24-2006, 03:02 AM
pmarone
Drifting

I actually used Redline quite often with the C5.
Old 05-24-2006, 05:16 AM
quickride
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TommyV
This is true for the most part. Adding Techron will certainly help a bit BUT if you're going to spend the money to add the Techron or other additive, you may as well spend the extra cents and get the gasolines that already have the good additive packages in them (Top Tier) to begin with. Using a non-top-tier gasoline every now and then certainly won't hurt you much BUT using this for a long term might take a toll.

I worked for a few years in graphics department and we put together presentations with lab data and photos of engine parts. The photos were taken of internal engine parts from motors that had been run for thousands of miles on various brands of gasoline. Believe me when I say that seeing those photos day after day really convinced me to use better quality gasolines in all my cars. Chevron is at the top of my list while one of the other major brands is at the bottom. That brand shall remain nameless here.
Old 05-24-2006, 05:31 AM
StarJack
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Interesting gas thread from a poster here...

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...ts&forum_id=74

Get notified of new replies

To Is Arco Gas As Good As Shell, Chevron, Mobil, Texico, ect...

Old 05-24-2006, 10:44 AM
fts
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

[QUOTE=StarJack]Interesting gas thread from a poster here...

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...ts&forum_id=74[/QUOTE

This is a great thread, especially the comments and exchanges by LDB and Shopdog. Terrific stuff!!
Old 05-24-2006, 10:53 AM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,076 Likes on 6,173 Posts

In the Dallas/Fort Worth area we are fortunate to have QuikTrip which is a Top Tier gas and is usually one of the lowest cost retailers.

Old 05-24-2006, 11:01 AM
ProfMoriarty
Team Owner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LS WON
Your forgot to add the Chevron Techoline addictive and or the RedLine gasoline addictive.
I'm addicted to Shell. (No Chevron around here.)

It's like a damned monkey on my back!!!

Last edited by ProfMoriarty; 05-24-2006 at 11:08 AM.

Quick Reply: Is Arco Gas As Good As Shell, Chevron, Mobil, Texico, ect...