C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Glass Roof Questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2006, 01:26 PM
rmd8136
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Glass Roof Questions

Does the glass roof allow sun into the cabin that will fade the interior?

Is the facory tinting effective?

Is there a shade available that looks good and works?
Old 06-07-2006, 01:31 PM
Lebowski
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by rmd8136
Does the glass roof allow sun into the cabin that will fade the interior?

Is the facory tinting effective?

Is there a shade available that looks good and works?
There is a shade available that I've seen on corvetteforum that looks great, and whoever posted about it said it worked great. I think (I'm not 100% sure) that it was pipedreams who was raving about it (he doesn't make it, though, I think it may have been downsouthvettes). Try a search or PM pipedreams.

The factory tinting is a dark blue, sort of like the strip at the top of some windshields. I'm not sure how effective it is against heat and fading as I don't own a transparent top.
Old 06-07-2006, 01:36 PM
mswaim
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Just my two cents worth, I've had the "glass" roof on mine for a few weeks now. In our recent 95-100 degree weather, the interior gets very hot and if you are follicly-challenged (bald) you will end up with a sunburn from long driving periods.
Old 06-07-2006, 01:38 PM
V8lust
Pro

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

Regarding possible fading, I suppose any sunlight at all will ultimately do this. It seems to me though that the roof pannel is sufficiently dark, and the light let in by the windshield and windows will be way out in front on fading.

Regarding the "effectiveness" of the factory tinting, this is of course a subjective matter. GM must try to balance transparancy with sunblock effectiveness. To my tastes, they got it just right.
Old 06-07-2006, 01:41 PM
d_bravo33
Instructor

Originally Posted by mswaim
Just my two cents worth, I've had the "glass" roof on mine for a few weeks now. In our recent 95-100 degree weather, the interior gets very hot and if you are follicly-challenged (bald) you will end up with a sunburn from long driving periods.
It may be a trade-off. Hot cabin vs. delaminated roof. If you're folicly-challenged (I am), wear a hat.

I've owned verts or clear tops on all my Vettes except my C6 coupe. I just ordered one. They work well and provide a (distorted) view of the scenery.
Old 06-07-2006, 01:44 PM
Lebowski
Burning Brakes

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...t=suction+cups

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...t=suction+cups
Old 06-07-2006, 02:06 PM
AFVETTE
Team Owner

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

I used mine in my 95 and 99 exclusively here in St Louis and NEVER had any heat/temp related problems. It's tinted sufficiently (at least on the C4 and C5) so as not to fry you or the interior. We got into a typical pissing contest some years ago in a C5 thread and I conducted an experiment by placing a thermometer on my consol and one on the roof of the car and took photos of the temp readings. I did this at NOON, and repeated the experiment the next day with the solid panel in place. There was a 3 degree difference. And it was actually 1 degree warmer on the second day. So I don't believe the glass top has any real impact on interior temps.

Now if someone wants to conduct a similar test on the C6 and post their results I'm sure we'll all be very appreciative.

Tom

Last edited by AFVETTE; 06-07-2006 at 02:09 PM.
Old 06-07-2006, 02:26 PM
BigJoe
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 64 Likes on 43 Posts

I don't have a glass top on my C6 (yet, its ordered) but I had one on my last C5. The tint was dark enough that you could look directly at the sun with minimal discomfort. I'd say it is like a 5-10% tint. It does heat up a bit more when sitting parked but the AC is good enough to keep it cool. On a bright sunny day you and your passenger look a bit like Smurfs, though...
Old 06-07-2006, 03:31 PM
Deftly
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I have a glass top and live in Central Florida. The inside gets hot if the car is left in the sun. I bought a liner from Downsouth Vettes. It is so well made that its hard to tell it from a factory on one the painted top. It is attached with suction cups. I have had some minor problems keeping a couple cups sticking all the time, but they don't cause a real concern. I highly recommend the liner. It keeps the interior as cool as my painted top that the dealer now owns because it delaminated.
Old 06-07-2006, 04:00 PM
als2052
Burning Brakes

Go to Mid America and get their sun shade - the cheapest of all the vendors - blocks out sun and helps with the heat.

Get notified of new replies

To Glass Roof Questions

Quick Reply: Glass Roof Questions