C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chrome wheel weight ? How much heavier r they ? No Polished wheels avail per dealer?!

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2006, 07:32 AM
AF330i
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

Default Chrome wheel weight ? How much heavier r they ? No Polished wheels avail per dealer?!

It seems if I want to order a Vette today than I have to either get Chrome wheels or the regular painted.

Polished seem to be on some sort of back order and aren't available

I have searched and only found the weight on a polished rim, does anyone know how much heavier a chrome wheel is and is it a noticably difference when driving ...

I remember when I had a BMW 330i and a wheel 3lbs or more then stock was slightly noticable when it came to acceleration but than again that car only had a 225 hp engine

thanks
Old 06-27-2006, 07:59 AM
Another Yellow
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06

Originally Posted by AF 4.2

Polished seem to be on some sort of back order and aren't available.......
There is a constraint this week but 47 sets of polished wheels are available. Your dealer does not have an allocation for the polished wheels.

Frank
Old 06-27-2006, 08:05 AM
AFVETTE
Team Owner

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

I'd order the car with the standard silver painted wheels to avoid any constraints and paying more than you need to for nice wheels. Then buy the OEM Chrome wheels from WCC and have them drop shipped to your dealer. Have the dealer swap the wheels and then you send back the OEM wheels.

You'll have OEM chrome wheels for about $1000. Cheaper than than either wheel option by hundreds of dollars.

Tom
Old 06-27-2006, 10:13 AM
AF330i
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Another Yellow
There is a constraint this week but 47 sets of polished wheels are available. Your dealer does not have an allocation for the polished wheels.

Frank
Thanks for the info

Will their be this constaint next week as well or is this a temporary thing ?

The dealer I am going through is one of the larger corvette dealers on Long Island, NY so the allocation might not be as big of an issue as smaller dealers but I totally understand what you are saying.
Old 06-27-2006, 10:44 AM
haljensen
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

The weight difference between painted and chrome shouldn't be much. Painted requires a primer, then a color coat then a clear coat vs. two or three thin coats of metal.

Kinda like the old joke; Which weighs more, a pound of feathers or a pound of lead?

Get notified of new replies

To Chrome wheel weight ? How much heavier r they ? No Polished wheels avail per dealer?!

Quick Reply: Chrome wheel weight ? How much heavier r they ? No Polished wheels avail per dealer?!