C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Side Vent Screens (I know: here we go again!)

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2006, 02:38 PM
Guitarstar
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

All you need now is the Stucco.
Old 10-20-2006, 03:49 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,251 Likes on 895 Posts

Originally Posted by LilRedC6Vette
Dude - obviously they are cut from a larger section of material.

OK. You still think the weave is not welded. I give up, you win.
Old 10-20-2006, 03:57 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,251 Likes on 895 Posts

Originally Posted by 6 speed Sid
Good post and good instructions. I sent a PM for a modified template and will try it. To me, it looks as good as the GM and just because it comes from GM does not make it better, after all GM gets it from some vendor and who knows, they may make both products.

I didn't say one was better than the other, but one is pricier than the other. It's just that one worked out better for me. You could never confuse the bolt in GM (below) with RaceMesh.
Old 12-02-2006, 11:53 PM
siffert
Safety Car

There are some Euro Grilles for sale on e-bay.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Corve...agenam eZWDVW

Leon...er Peter....that's Peter Mercado as Ebay Seller selling his Mercado products...note the poor 93% Ebay feedback rating.
Old 12-02-2006, 11:58 PM
rjward
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=LilRedC6Vette]
Originally Posted by fenderowner
I have had side vent screens on my 05 C6 since I bought it. Got them off the internet (can't remember who from, but don't think it was a CF vendor). Ever since I installed them, I have been unhappy with them: they didn't fit well, the metal was a seriously sloppy weave, etc.

Thanks to Pipedreams and others here on the forum, I finally realized there was an inexpensive, better way to do this, so here's my install with pics, for those who also might be so inclined.

I used pipedreams' template (search this forum and you can find it), bought the gutter guard from Home Depot (under $2) and a package of industrial grade velcro (about $4, also at Home Depot). Using the template, I cut out the screens (be sure and flip the pattern for the other side vent) and wrapped the fuzzy side of the velcro around the tabs:QUOTE]

I just can't understand why anyone who has spent the money for such a great car has the mind set to install "gutter guard from Home Depot" on such a vehicle??????????? I can understand the DIY mind set, but honestly, "gutter guard" on a corvette???????????????????????????????

I can see it on a riced out Honda, but it is just plain wrong to do this to a corvette!!!!!!!

Just my 2 cents.

Not everyone wants to waste there money on 100+ dollar gutter guard......

Last edited by rjward; 12-03-2006 at 12:14 AM.
Old 12-03-2006, 12:03 AM
rjward
Pro

Originally Posted by brianz
(but I guarantee you not a single person who sees your GM screens next to mine will know or be able to tell the difference).

yeah right...

I think it's great to share an alternative to the $250
GM screens, but really any car guy/gal would notice the difference
between cheap aluminium screening and chromed SS heavy duty wire ...

I installed the GM screens because of the quality look of what is seen
through the vent and it's superior mounting system.
Nobody has once said this to me. When they see it next to a car without, most comment that it looks so much better to stock.

Im glad you are SOOO happy with your expensive "car guy' pair though.

Last edited by rjward; 12-03-2006 at 12:15 AM.
Old 12-03-2006, 02:15 AM
AP
Team Owner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Old 12-03-2006, 02:42 AM
Leon10003
Instructor

Originally Posted by siffert
There are some Euro Grilles for sale on e-bay.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Corve...agenam eZWDVW

Leon...er Peter....that's Peter Mercado as Ebay Seller selling his Mercado products...note the poor 93% Ebay feedback rating.
Siffert, what is your problem dude?

I would like to make it crystal clear to you that I am not Mercado Ind., I am however a fan of their products.

I checked out your claim with regards to the poor ebay 93% feed back rating and have discovered the following:

According to Mercado Ind. ebay member profile, there were 36 feedbacks posted ( I assume 36 sales) Of the 36 feedbacks, 2 were not positive feedbacks. Both suggested that the shipping charges from Canada was a bit much.

So it would seem that it was a positive 93% feed back and not negative.

Siffert, I would seem that you do not like Mercado Ind. and have some sort of personal vendetta against them. May I ask why?

Since you are such a big fan of Race Mesh grilles and given your dislike of Mercado Ind., I would conclude, using your logic, that you are in fact the owner of Race Mesh. This would explain why you praise Race Mesh and Slam Mercado Ind.

Just for the record, I have expressed my like for Race Mesh in several of my posts.

I will say it once again, I am a big fan of Race Mesh products and Mercado Ind. products.
Both companies produce excellent products with different looks.

Please govern yourself accordingly Siffert and show some respect.

Old 12-03-2006, 05:04 AM
lvjetboy
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

After looking at all and considering...I think the right screen can add a bit of racer flavor without the budget ricer overtones. Not sure the $$ GM part gets it right either.

So far...

The GM $$ Screen Door:

The Lowe's Gutter Guard:

And finally the Euro Round Hole:

...my thoughts. I usually lean towards OEM parts with occasional DIY but GM's not a clear winner in looks here. Kinda like a screen door. The round hole IMO seems to have an interface or transition problem as the holes approach the angled edge of the vent. Almost as if it was cut too short to fit. Just the way it looks.

By comparison, the Lowe's cheese grater/gutter guard looks best to me so far, w/o considering mounting and durability. Seems there should be other options out there?

Just don't ever, and I mean EVER do this...

SWAMP COOLER TAIL LIGHT COVERS. Those in trailer parks know what I'm talking about.

On blue light special the day Ford built this L.A. Mustang. Still embarrassing and most likely humiliating those who own this model. No wonder 'stangs got a complex to get over.

jer
Old 12-03-2006, 10:57 AM
siffert
Safety Car

Hmmm...after looking at the GM, Mercado Euro and Lowe's Gutter Guard pics from lvjetboy, I must admit the Lowe's Gutter Guard cheapo special looks the best....this coming from a 2007 unbiased Corvette Coupe owner who has NO side vents on his vette.

Last edited by siffert; 12-03-2006 at 11:35 AM.
Old 12-03-2006, 11:17 AM
slomarsh
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the detailed post. You have inspired me to do the same!
Kuddos on the Z51 badge too!
Old 12-03-2006, 11:20 AM
siffert
Safety Car

Siffert, what is your problem dude?

No problem, just find your shilling of Mercado products despite 99% of members here, including me, who think they look like *rap find it odd that we have never seen a pic of your supposed corvette with a mercado product on it.

I would like to make it crystal clear to you that I am not Mercado Ind., I am however a fan of their products.

See above...could you please produce a pic of your corvette with a mercado product on it....and please make sure its not one of the mercado "show" pics taken from the mercado website. I also find it no coincidence that both you and Peter Mercado e-mail addresses use HOTMAIL.COM

I checked out your claim with regards to the poor ebay 93% feed back rating and have discovered the following:

According to Mercado Ind. ebay member profile, there were 36 feedbacks posted ( I assume 36 sales) Of the 36 feedbacks, 2 were not positive feedbacks. Both suggested that the shipping charges from Canada was a bit much.

So it would seem that it was a positive 93% feed back and not negative.

Let me tell you...anybody with any kind of ebay experience would find a 93% seller rating a POOR one and cries out loud "Buyer Beware" no matter how many or how few sales based from the seller.

Siffert, I would seem that you do not like Mercado Ind. and have some sort of personal vendetta against them. May I ask why?

No vendetta here. I dont think much of Mercado products this is true. Why? I have only seen two pics of installed Mercado products on forum members cars on these forums. One had his delivered and installed by Mercado himself which is hardly an unbiased person and the other member showed his
purchased from Corvette Central which looked like a piece of *rap. As I mentioned above I find it very strange your shilling Mercado here without showing the products on your corvette, not to mention Mercado is NOT a forum vender here. As Sherlock once said..."something is afoot"

Since you are such a big fan of Race Mesh grilles and given your dislike of Mercado Ind., I would conclude, using your logic, that you are in fact the owner of Race Mesh. This would explain why you praise Race Mesh and Slam Mercado Ind.

I would not say I am a "big" fan of Racemesh, though I have spoken here of how I like my Racemesh grill and have shown countless pics of my Racemesh black grill on my 2007 Corvette on these forums,
along with posting the mod I did with the black Racemesh and how to eliminate the stock grill from showing through it. The owners name of Racemesh is Michael Levasseur of Antioch, Ca. Not me.

Just for the record, I have expressed my like for Race Mesh in several of my posts.

You dont give yourself enough credit where credit is due...you regularly post pics of Mercado grills etc. taken from the Mercado website. Most recent was that disaster thread started by you entitled "A grille with a different look".

I will say it once again, I am a big fan of Race Mesh products and Mercado Ind. products. Both companies produce excellent products with different looks.

That's great...but you still have not convinced me here yet that you are not Mercado or an employee of Mercado.

Please govern yourself accordingly Siffert and show some respect.

I have no disrespect for you, I just have many suspicions about your Mercado related threads (which constitute most of your postings) and your relationship to Mercado and thus govern myself accordingly whenever I see you promoting Mercado products...which curiously shows no phone number or address on the Mercado website...which is the first sign something is amiss on any Internet website that is selling prodicts. Buyer Beware.

Last edited by siffert; 01-01-2007 at 09:03 AM.
Old 12-03-2006, 11:51 AM
Lucky13
Burning Brakes

I would like to state for the record that I am not an employee or associate of Home Depot or Gutter Guard...
Old 12-03-2006, 01:18 PM
rakuhn
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Great job, how long did it take and can a novice do it?

I wish I knew how to save this one for future use.

Ron
Old 12-03-2006, 01:24 PM
KarlK
Team Owner

Received 51 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Lucky13
I would like to state for the record that I am not an employee or associate of Home Depot or Gutter Guard...
I am an employee of Home Depot and I have contacted our pricing agents to assign the appropriate "Corvette Tax" to the gutter guard.
Old 12-03-2006, 01:31 PM
Z-Rated
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

''''''''
Old 12-03-2006, 02:10 PM
Lucky13
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by rakuhn
Great job, how long did it take and can a novice do it?

I wish I knew how to save this one for future use.

Ron
I am pretty sure that the word novice applied to me the first time I made these. It was an easy job. The panels are easy to remove, you need not remove the wheels and you just need to carefully cut the templates and apply the velcro. The first (unpainted) set I did took about 30-45 minutes for the whole job. The nice thing is that if you mess it up it only cost about $3...

Get notified of new replies

To Side Vent Screens (I know: here we go again!)

Old 12-03-2006, 02:38 PM
mbixby
Instructor

Default DIY screens

Thanks for the post. The screens look great!

Keep the Z51 Badges. They also look great!

As for the guy who only wants to buy brand names & pay full retail ---"there's one born every minute." P T Barnum
Old 12-03-2006, 06:07 PM
rakuhn
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Lucky13
I am pretty sure that the word novice applied to me the first time I made these. It was an easy job. The panels are easy to remove, you need not remove the wheels and you just need to carefully cut the templates and apply the velcro. The first (unpainted) set I did took about 30-45 minutes for the whole job. The nice thing is that if you mess it up it only cost about $3...
Thanks, might give it a try when spring arrives in Wisconsin. That could be a long wait.

Ron
Old 12-04-2006, 04:20 AM
LilRedC6Vette
Racer

Originally Posted by lvjetboy
After looking at all and considering...I think the right screen can add a bit of racer flavor without the budget ricer overtones. Not sure the $$ GM part gets it right either.

So far...

The GM $$ Screen Door:

The Lowe's Gutter Guard:

And finally the Euro Round Hole:

...my thoughts. I usually lean towards OEM parts with occasional DIY but GM's not a clear winner in looks here. Kinda like a screen door. The round hole IMO seems to have an interface or transition problem as the holes approach the angled edge of the vent. Almost as if it was cut too short to fit. Just the way it looks.

By comparison, the Lowe's cheese grater/gutter guard looks best to me so far, w/o considering mounting and durability. Seems there should be other options out there?

Just don't ever, and I mean EVER do this...

SWAMP COOLER TAIL LIGHT COVERS. Those in trailer parks know what I'm talking about.

On blue light special the day Ford built this L.A. Mustang. Still embarrassing and most likely humiliating those who own this model. No wonder 'stangs got a complex to get over.

jer

For the record, the 1st pic is racemesh and not GM.

Quick Reply: Side Vent Screens (I know: here we go again!)