C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Child seat question to convince wife of buying C6

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2006, 11:51 AM
RequiemNightmare
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Child seat question to convince wife of buying C6

I was wondering if there was any way to put a restraining childs seat in either the back area or in between seats or something that anyone might know of. My wife is going to have a child sometime soon, and I'm trying to convince her that this corvette is viable for that purpose. We also have a 1999 Ford Explorer as our other vehicle. Thanks for any help you guys can give me towards gettin my C6
Old 08-11-2006, 11:55 AM
Festivus
Racer

I tried convincing my wife of that too. No such luck. She insists that infants MUST ride in the back seat and cannot be in the front till a certain age. Perhaps she's right, not sure what the law on that is.
Old 08-11-2006, 12:57 PM
superdee
Instructor

Sorry. There's no room for a third passenger, especially if its a baby. Babies must be in a rear facing seat up to a certain age and rear facing seats can't be in the front. Even after the child can face forward and you don't have another passenger, I believe that it is not legal in most states to put a child seat in the front passenger seat of a vette. For one thing, there is no car seat anchor behind the passenger seat.

Keep the explorer for the baby and buy the vette for you.
Old 08-11-2006, 01:14 PM
C2Jeff
Melting Slicks

Received 84 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Festivus
I tried convincing my wife of that too. No such luck. She insists that infants MUST ride in the back seat and cannot be in the front till a certain age. Perhaps she's right, not sure what the law on that is.
Festivus, I just noticed your avatar so you might want to save this gif for future use:
Old 08-11-2006, 01:31 PM
KISSfn
Pro

My 05 C6 has the LATCH system for securing a child seat to the passenger seat's anchors. It also has an airbag on/off switch. I'm sure the 06 and 07 must also have the LATCH system plus instead of an airbag on/off switch there is a sensor in the passenger seat cushion that controls whether the airbags will deploy based on the passenger's weight. According to the owner's manual you can use a child seat in the vette, rear or front facing. The only anchor the 05 lacks is for the top strap of a child seat so equipped.

Last edited by KISSfn; 08-11-2006 at 01:38 PM.
Old 08-11-2006, 01:34 PM
butlermd
Instructor

The safest place for children is always the back seat. However, if one must have a child in the front seat, it (the seat) should be as far back as possible and the airbag should be off (I assume the shut-off sensor is standard on all vettes). If you have side air-bags (3LT only?) I don't think you are supposed to have a rear facing seat in the front seat ever(all children should be in rear-facing seat until 1 year old and 20 lbs in weight)...although I guess the air-bag sensor shuts of the side air bags as well.
All that said, I choose not to let my kids ride in the vette until they are bigger and it will be safer for them.
Also, there is definitely no place for a car seat in addition to another passenger. Perhaps you should look at a Infiniti G35 (my last car)...it's certainly not a corvette but its sporty and even the coupe can handle two car seats in the back.
http://www.nsc.org/traf/sbc/sbcchild.htm
Old 08-11-2006, 01:49 PM
ColdBrew
Instructor

I don't see any problem having a baby seat in the front seat, even the rear facing ones. The manual states that they don't recommend putting a rear facing seat in the front, but it is possible and not illegal (in my state anyways). Just make sure the air bags are disabled (automatic on 2006 and 2007 models). Put the seat back as far as it will go. (all of this is in the corvette manual)

The coupes have the latch system on the floor and the Z06 has the latch system for the head. Just use the seat belt. You can pull it all the way out to lock the belt so the seat won't move.
Old 08-11-2006, 01:50 PM
mbonness
Pro

When I read the owner's manual the first time I couldn't believe there were like 20 pages on child restraints. Come on, this is a sports car, not a station wagon. Damn lawyers...
Old 08-11-2006, 02:34 PM
CRVETTE
Instructor

skip the kid and spend the money on the vette
Old 08-11-2006, 02:34 PM
Festivus
Racer

Originally Posted by C6Jeff
Festivus, I just noticed your avatar so you might want to save this gif for future use:
NICE! thx, I definately saved that for future use.
Old 08-11-2006, 05:28 PM
BigJoe
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 64 Likes on 43 Posts

Read his original post... He's talking about jury rigging some kind of seat mount in the back of the Vette, not in the front seat. I'm not sure but I have a feeling that would not be a good idea. I'd check with folks like your insurance company, the police dept, etc, before trying that...
Old 08-11-2006, 05:32 PM
lager99
Team Owner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06

"In the back."
Old 08-11-2006, 06:31 PM
GN1270
Safety Car

Originally Posted by RequiemNightmare
I was wondering if there was any way to put a restraining childs seat in either the back area or in between seats or something that anyone might know of. My wife is going to have a child sometime soon, and I'm trying to convince her that this corvette is viable for that purpose. We also have a 1999 Ford Explorer as our other vehicle. Thanks for any help you guys can give me towards gettin my C6

Not even Magiver (sp) could pull that off and get away with it.
Old 08-11-2006, 10:47 PM
excessive81
Safety Car

wait there was a guy that swore there was a four seater corvette....just do that
Old 08-12-2006, 12:08 AM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 207 Posts

I'm confused...

You already have a Ford Explorer...

...so why does the Corvette need to support baby transport duty?

Seriously, somebody please explain this in terms that a male can understand.

.Jinx
Old 08-12-2006, 01:01 AM
TonyC6Go
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If Britney Spears can do it..you can too..
Old 08-12-2006, 02:48 AM
jaysmith
Advanced

Get a coupe and put the child seat in the passenger seat. If your wife is petite, she might be able to fit in the cargo area in the fetal position.

Last edited by jaysmith; 08-12-2006 at 02:57 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Child seat question to convince wife of buying C6

Old 08-12-2006, 03:04 AM
jrjen2
Racer

See my picture in the avatar from last year. Our little girl was about three months old when this was taken. No problem going for rides. I use the restraint system, shut off the airbag, and leave Mom at home.
Old 08-12-2006, 04:15 AM
aggie88
Drifting

Ask a hundred people about seat belt safety and you get a hundred different answers. Its a touchy subject based on peoples' experiences - but a lot based on heresay.

Many autocrossers and road racers do not use the factory belt system at all in competition and use saftey harnesses bolted to the floor and some part of the rear compartment.

IMO - you can anchor in mounts securely into the rear deck area - probably by reinforcing with metal plates - maybe welding. tBecause of the liability involved, the trick is finding someone willing to do this if you are not handy at metalwork yourself.

As for why would you care to do this if you already have an SUV? Just being able to enjoy the Vette more often is good enough reason to pursue this project. I would like to do same myself and I have FOUR kids! (I dont mean add four seats, just add one baby seat)
Old 08-12-2006, 07:04 AM
Z0SLIK
Race Director

Originally Posted by TonyC6Go
If Britney Spears can do it..you can too..

Quick Reply: Child seat question to convince wife of buying C6