C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Royal Purple Synchromax

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2006, 09:23 PM
GaryNL
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Royal Purple Synchromax

I know this has been discussed several times but I am looking for something that tells me I can use this as a replacement for DEXRON. Is Synchromax an acceptable replacement that will not impact the warranty? I have looked on the web site and even on the bottle and I cannot find the words that give me that comfortable feeling. The web site says, "Synchromax is recommended for manual transmissions that specify an automatic transmission fluid or motor oil." It also states in response to a FAQ, "For manual transmissions and / or transfer cases specifying a Ford Mercon® or GM Dexron® type ATF, Royal Purple® recommends either its Max ATF® or for greater performance, its Synchromax®." Are these all the words needed to ensure this meets the standards that will not impact the warranty?
Any experts out there?
Old 09-08-2006, 09:32 PM
calemasters
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It has to meet Spec "H" requirments.
Old 09-08-2006, 10:01 PM
Miaugi
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by calemasters
It has to meet Spec "H" requirments.
Old 09-08-2006, 10:08 PM
GaryNL
Advanced

Thanks but that doesn't help a lot. The question then would be does it meet the magical spec H requirement? Is there a list of products that does meet it?
Old 09-09-2006, 10:37 AM
GaryNL
Advanced

Hasn't anyone had discussions with their servicing dealer on this subject?
Old 09-09-2006, 10:51 AM
calemasters
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by GaryNL
Thanks but that doesn't help a lot. The question then would be does it meet the magical spec H requirement? Is there a list of products that does meet it?
I read the data sheet. It does not meet Spec "H":

http://www.royalmgi.com/pdf/scmaxps.pdf

http://www.burdickenterprisesinc.com...S%20092302.pdf
Old 09-09-2006, 12:12 PM
GaryNL
Advanced

Is there a document that shows what Spec "H" is?
Old 09-09-2006, 12:24 PM
Miaugi
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That I can't help you with...but I recently bought Synthetic Mobile 1 Dextron III ATF and it was marked as being Spec H on the bottle.
Old 09-09-2006, 12:34 PM
calemasters
Le Mans Master

Spec H, or Dexron III H Specification H-36166, is used primarily in General Motors automatic transmissions and some manual transmissions such as the Tremec T56. The main requirement is good performance in normally functioning transmissions under normal and severe conditions.

Spec H is basically an additive package which was developed by GM to offer improved oxidation stability, sludge resistance, friction and shifting performance, as well as better usable fluid life and seal compatibility. Some automatic transmissions can go 100,000 miles with this lubricant. Spec H replaced Spec G, which was the standard for about 10 years.

The Tremec T56 requires Spec H lubricant GM PN 88861800.

During 2005, both the Owner's Manual and eSI specified Dexron III, Spec "H" ATF for the Tremec T56 manual 6 speed transmission.

If you look at eSI today, the specified lubricant is now "Manual Transmission Fluid" GM part No. U.S. 88861800.

General Motors lost the license agreement to the registered trademark name "Dexron III". Manual Transmission Fluid GM part No. U.S. 88861800 is the same as the what use to be called Dexron III.

The new Dexron VI ATF, has never been approved for use in the Tremec T56 transmission.

Also, Texaco can now sell license agreements to the aftermarket to use the name Dexron III. Therefore, Dexron III today, IS NOT the same as the old Dexron III product sold under the old GM license agreement. So, today, there are now many different formulations of ATF sold under the "Dexron III" name.

Last edited by calemasters; 09-09-2006 at 12:41 PM.
Old 09-09-2006, 02:06 PM
GaryNL
Advanced

For those interested, here is the response I received from Royal Purple:

The GM warranty approved product is a automatic transmission fluid meeting GM Dexron IIIH specs. This would be the RP MaxATF. A fully synthetic atf meeting the GM Dexron IIIH specs and will maintain your warranty. A fluid such as the RP Synchromax which contains additional additive technology for improved wear protection but different than an Dexron atf can not be a warranty approved product. You can't get increased performance and meet warranty due to the restrictions placed by GM.

So if what you are looking for is maintaining warranty with an 'equivalent' product to the factory fill we recommend the RP MaxATF.

If you are looking for improved shift performance as well as increased wear protection on the bearings and gears in your manual transmission, rather than using an atf designed for automatics - we recommend our RP Synchromax Manual Transmission Fluid made specifically to improve the performance of manual transmissions using atf as a fluid from the factory.
Old 09-09-2006, 09:56 PM
GaryNL
Advanced

Ttt
Old 09-11-2006, 04:51 AM
2LT-Z51
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

i use it (Synchromax) difference like night and day....

shifts smooth and first gear at a stop is not a problem anymore....

i would drain it and put ATF if i had some kind of tranny issue and needed to take it in for a warranty issue.......

Get notified of new replies

To Royal Purple Synchromax

Quick Reply: Royal Purple Synchromax