C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Garage floor tiles

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2006, 11:39 AM
TexJeep
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=67Roadster]I went with the Armstrong floor tiles and this floor has been down about 11 years. I strip it once a year and give it 4 coats of wax. It has seen many full car restorations and engine builds, still look's great!

I don't know much about the floor, but that is one gorgeous '67 vert.

Jeep

Last edited by TexJeep; 09-14-2006 at 11:41 AM.
Old 09-14-2006, 11:46 AM
Jay13
Race Director

Location: . [Rotorhead] "You seem to be a douche. What I'm getting at is just STFU" [/Rotorhead]
St. Jude Donor '06 & '09 & '11

Originally Posted by AFVETTE
Haven't gone through a winter yet, but since the RD tiles allow liquid to seep through and the tiles are designed with channels on the underside to allow liquid to run off and breath (with the slope of the garage floor) I doubt I'll have any issues. I'll just damp mop any residue after it dries.

Tom

Yeah, but you know what your garage floor can look like after a winter. I'm afraid all that dirt and silt are going to jam up the drain channels in no time flat. Then I'll just have constantly damp dirt underneath the racedeck, which can't be good.
Old 09-14-2006, 11:53 AM
ProfMoriarty
Team Owner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay13
Yeah, but you know what your garage floor can look like after a winter. I'm afraid all that dirt and silt are going to jam up the drain channels in no time flat. Then I'll just have constantly damp dirt underneath the racedeck, which can't be good.
I'll give it another shot.

Lay one of these over your tiles and forget the drainage issue:

http://www.bltllc.com/g-floor_main.htm
Old 09-14-2006, 11:56 AM
AFVETTE
Team Owner

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by ProfMoriarty

Sounds like an option for us guys that actually drive our vettes in the winter (even in the snow) and park them all covered in snow and road grime.

I've seen some nice one's in one of catalogs I get. Thanks for the tip.

But since RD tiles just snap together I could always pick up that side of the garage for the winter. I figure it would take me about 30 minutes to pull up the tiles where I park my vette. That's an option others don't have. So I have several ways I can go.

Tom

Last edited by AFVETTE; 09-14-2006 at 11:59 AM.
Old 09-14-2006, 12:31 PM
CROWVETTE
Racer

RACE DECK
Old 09-14-2006, 12:43 PM
66dreams
Pro

Old 09-14-2006, 01:53 PM
Jay13
Race Director

Location: . [Rotorhead] "You seem to be a douche. What I'm getting at is just STFU" [/Rotorhead]
St. Jude Donor '06 & '09 & '11

Sorry. I saw your post but forgot to reply. If I were going to go that route and cover up my racedeck for 1/3 of the year, I'd probably just buy some mastic and glue the stuff in your picture right to the floor.
Old 09-14-2006, 02:08 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,051 Likes on 1,362 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Flexible, one-piece roll-flooring has a tendency to move or distort under the wheels of a car, especially if the wife turns the steering wheel while stopped. Any experience with this stuff?

My problem is that i need something that's fairly watertight- we have prestressed concrete slabs/poured topping for the garage floor, with a storage "room" underneath the garage. The topping always has a few cracks, melting slush from the cars leaves big puddles on the garage floor and some of it drips down into the storage room below. If we could make the floor waterproof, then we could finish out the room below.

Any suggestions?
Old 09-14-2006, 02:13 PM
ProfMoriarty
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim
Flexible, one-piece roll-flooring has a tendency to move or distort under the wheels of a car, especially if the wife turns the steering wheel while stopped. Any experience with this stuff?
Yes.

You have to drive straight onto it or it will twist under the tires if they are turned.

It will shrink a bit in the winter and expand when exposed to direct sunlight.

Mine has not been stressed much since my sunny day only C6 is driven directly onto tiles. The quad is driven onto the mat which is laid over the tiles in the area that it's parked..

However, if you're concerned with water and fine debris from your vehicle making its way down the cracks of plastic tiling, despite its relatively minor shortcomings, a vinyl automotive mat will eliminate that problem.

As far as waterproofing a slab goes, you might consider the grey latex (I believe) material that is applied to cracked concrete walls as part of basement waterproofing. It's not paint, but rather a thick substance that is troweled on. This would likely seal the cracks in your floor as well and would not be subject to wear if plastic tiles are installed over it.

Last edited by ProfMoriarty; 09-14-2006 at 02:19 PM.
Old 09-14-2006, 02:38 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,051 Likes on 1,362 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Thanks for the info.
Waterproofing the slab is pretty tough, it expands/contracts enough from summer to winter that cracks tend to recurr. Perhaps a really good flexible epoxy could work.
Old 09-14-2006, 02:43 PM
ProfMoriarty
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim
Thanks for the info.
Waterproofing the slab is pretty tough, it expands/contracts enough from summer to winter that cracks tend to recurr. Perhaps a really good flexible epoxy could work.
That's why I mentioned the "latex" material.

It should maintain some degree of flexibility even when exposed to winter temps and expand adequately in the summer.

Might be worth a call to a basement waterproofer, if for no other reason than to pick his brain for a while.

Last edited by ProfMoriarty; 09-14-2006 at 02:45 PM.
Old 09-14-2006, 02:43 PM
ProfMoriarty
Team Owner

dbl tap.

Quick Reply: Garage floor tiles