C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would you let your son take your vette to his prom

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2007, 04:24 AM
gtovett
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am 17 (almost 18) and have drive my dads 06 all the time. Before you think my dad is either insane or stupid hear me out. I am posting here to maybe try to convince some owners on here that it may not be as bad of an i dea as you think to let your kids drive your cars.

When my dad was 19 he bought a 75 vette brand new (that he still owns) and drove it over 75,000 miles through the years. He also owns a 65 vette that he basically built from the ground up over a 10 year period. I have been into cars since I can remember and have grown up around all sorts of cars and my families towing business. I have seen MANY wrecks and the aftermath of those wrecks. I understand the power these cars have and the limitations of the car and my driving abilities in the car. If you feel your son or daughter understands things like this it might not be such a bad idea.

My daily driver is a 68 GTO that me and my dad, together, restored a few years ago. That car also has quite a bit of power as some you may know from personal experience. I have never recieved a ticket and have maintained a 4.0-4.25 GPA throughout my high school career.

My dad trusts me behind the wheel of any of his cars but this trust did not come easily. I will never forget the faith he has in me and it has most assuredly strenghtened our relationship. It does seem funny that a car could do this but it has.

Before you say no to your sons you might want to consider more than just the price tag of the car and their age. If he is responsible and respects the car this priviledge and opportunity will never be forgotten.

I will add that it is your car and you should most definately proceed with caution but consider everything before you make your decision.
Old 02-08-2007, 05:38 AM
bob53
Melting Slicks

Received 317 Likes on 143 Posts

Ummm, this one is easy NO WAY!

I'm sure there is a Gaussian distribution in 17 and 18 year olds and the ones several SDs past the midline would get in a vette and never floor it, ones 2 SDs away would floor it only a few times and race a few cars, but those 1SD and less would just go nuts when out of eyesight of authorities (parents).

Here's why we see over 100 of these posts a year:

#1 Many parents all want to trust their kids - sadly there are a lot of parents who work too hard and only see the angel in their kid not the devil they are on the road - it's true...

#2 Kids are convinced they know it all (even if they say they do not ) Hell, I was 18 not that long ago, was valedictorian in HS, college, went to medical school, blah blah blah.... Good grades do not mean you are any more responsible than a C student when driving. It's well documented children do not appreciate their mortality until 20 or so. Until this point, they just act without regard to outcome as they do not see the bad outcome as likely to occur. Take the most studious kid, give him a 400 HP car, and he is going to: take it to the friends house and show off, pick up the opposite sex and show off, and, worse yet, is when he meets a kid with another fast car - well a race is bound to happen.

#3 Kids identity is their parents till 18-20 in many cases. Until they are responsible for their own actions, and not just afraid of what dad will say, they are not in a position to appreciate how dangerous a car like a vette is. They don;t have to pay for it, they did not have to work for it, etc. There have been several 17 year olds come on claiming to be able to afford a Z06 mowing lawns or whatever Sure... We must have all of the self-made 17 year old kids in the US on CF. No I'm not jealous BTW as I think 90% of those claims are complete BS and for the other 10% good for you.

Last

People always make the excuse that it's just as easy to kill yourself in a civic as it is a vette...

NO!

It's simple - we all live in a linear time universe - 1 second to me is the same as you. A corvette, in 10 seconds is going much faster than a civic in the same amount of time if they both accelerate. Now something happens - a car switches lanes, a deer jumps out, etc. They both respond in the same amount of time but since the car going faster is traversing more distance per time they have less time to respond properly. The reality is most accidents occur b/c of excessive speed for the situation. Driving 60 in a 340, driving 100 in a 60, etc or following close.

Like I said, I was once 18, not too long ago, and I would have been in big trouble with a vette... Of course the 17 year olds will claim they are more careful than I. Perhaps, but not likely.

Sorry for the rant. I know the OP wants to share the joy, fun of owning a vette with your son and that's great. I understand that, but there is some growing up all kids have to do before they are 100% trustworthy with a 400 hp car.
Old 02-08-2007, 07:47 AM
06C6Z
Burning Brakes

Lock this thread...
Old 02-08-2007, 07:54 AM
02gt350
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

when i was 17 i got in enough trouble with a 250 horse mustang let alone 400. Im glad i didnt have a car that fast. i would have been in waaaaaaaay more trouble
Old 02-08-2007, 07:55 AM
0Coastal Boot
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tme
I've said no to my 17 yr. old. He's been driving a year and hasn't wrecked his car. He's a pretty good driver. What would you do?
Tell him to take a girl instead..... so much morre fun.
Old 02-09-2007, 10:38 PM
ksliebe
Heel & Toe

Default Whats wrong with you?

Remember when you were that age? How awsome it would be to let your perfect child take your corvette. If you do you are the dummest *** in the world and certainly deserve what ever happens. I know what I was like.a good kid with a 70 Torino 429 Cobrajet. Alot of muscle for a kid. I believe 365 HP. Its just too much of a temptation.
Old 02-09-2007, 10:47 PM
BADC64GO
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Still NO!
Old 02-10-2007, 12:20 AM
RA-9811
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Gotta get in a contarion viewpoint ....

I have no kids that age but several nephews all of which called on Uncle for Prom ride. Have let five teenagers use the Vette ... only one brought it back in pieces but it wasn't his fault and no injuries (someone hit him at a light). Other four were responsible and really enjoyed the evening as you can imagine (no one ever loaned me a Vette for my prom).

Question is: is the kid responsible? or not?
Old 02-10-2007, 08:05 AM
Headley Lamar
Instructor

400hp Corvette huh?

Kid gets in the car?

Kids date gets in the car?

Kids in the car, car goes on the street. Idiot kids go to the the prom in a Corvette...

"Farewell and adieu to you, fair Spanish ladies. Farewell and adieu, you ladies of Spain. For we've received orders for to sail back to Boston. And so nevermore shall we see you again."

Say hi to Elvis for me!!!
Old 02-10-2007, 08:06 AM
vetracn98
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Not even if it was the last car on earth.
Old 02-10-2007, 08:16 AM
su8pack1
Team Owner

Received 49 Likes on 27 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Never.
Old 02-10-2007, 03:46 PM
Vette_Pilot
Melting Slicks

Received 167 Likes on 139 Posts

Currently I don't own a Vette or have a son, but I would think that it would be a disaater waiting to happen. NO!!!!!
Old 02-10-2007, 03:51 PM
Bavarian Motorist
Instructor

Depends on the kid.
Old 02-10-2007, 04:06 PM
SPSUPatrick
Navigator

Default My First car was a corvette

My first car was a corvette a 1994 i was 16 when I got it. there has been a corvette in the house all of my life.

as for the racing aspect I know I can beat you i have enough math skills to figure out power to weight. so I do not have to show it to you i will win if we raced.

I did not make all A's but my father raised me right and did not let the tv do it, plus he has a XXXL hand and was willing to using it.

I am now 22 and have a 2004 corvette and no tickets.

it truly depends in the kid

the people who say NO WAY! are either not good parents or jealous

so if you do let him drive it, take him to the rear bumper and show him that he can push it in with his hand and remind him it is a PLASTIC! car
Old 02-10-2007, 05:26 PM
scottypman
Melting Slicks

If I had access to a Corvette at 17, I wouldn't be writing this reply right now.
Old 02-10-2007, 09:15 PM
dcress1127
Safety Car

It's the arrival that counts. I let him drive the car, pick up his date and followed him to the dance. After everyone was inside, I left his car for him and took mine home. Apparently almost no one noticed them leaving. They may have left early - didn't tell me, BUT everyone cornered both of them at school come Monday and told them how cool it was that they had the Corvette and kudo's to dad too. I always try to find an amicable solution to difficult situations. My children are all in the 40's now and Corvettes are a big part of their lives too. Shalom
Old 02-10-2007, 10:11 PM
Petew1971
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11

sure let him take it as long as it it has a full roll cage, 4 point safety harness and they both wear helmets. Then be ready to call the insurance company as soon as he wrecks it. Thats like giving your son a loaded gun, case of beer with a side of crack. Youd be prying his dates teeth out of the dash. Not to mention how expensive it is to repack airbags. id probably go with no on this one.

Get notified of new replies

To Would you let your son take your vette to his prom

Old 02-10-2007, 10:38 PM
greta
Racer

not this again!! is it this time of year again! Every year the same ???

You guys suck! If he's a good kid and responsible..we allknow our kids, then why the heck not! Like i said last year, i not only let my son drive my vette, i bought him his own! has had it for 3 years now and it's perfect!! Lighten up!
Old 02-10-2007, 10:54 PM
Jeffthunbird
Melting Slicks

Received 892 Likes on 439 Posts

It would be a scary night for you
Old 02-10-2007, 11:57 PM
SILVER HUNTER
Instructor

Originally Posted by pewter99
Hmmm another one of these threads......best suggestion I have heard in a previous thread....allow him to drive it to pick up his date and drive to the prom. Follow him in his car at a distance and swap cars after he arrives....that way he gets to take his date to the dance and then he has his car for later. Oh yeah and make sure you get pics for him.
I like this one best case!

And if he don't like that NO is the word!!!!

Quick Reply: Would you let your son take your vette to his prom