C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To install or not to install, that is the question

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2006, 01:33 PM
enjoytheview
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default To install or not to install, that is the question

I have a pair of bullets headed my way. I'd like to do the install myself, but i've never done an exhaust install before. What do you guys think? I know a lot of people say it's pretty easy, but my vette is not something i wanna screw up on.

I was thinking i could back the vette up on my rhino ramps to do the work. My biggest concern is removing the stock exhaust, I don't wanna cut it out if possible. Also i dont have airtools.

I'm a young guy, and i want to get more hands on with my car, i've done installs on CAIs and BlowOff Valves on my old car, so i'm not a complete newby.

I'm looking for some advice, a writeup would be great if one exists.

TIA
Old 11-12-2006, 01:45 PM
rfopt
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The main task is being completely comfortable being under the car with the rear of the car jacked up as high as possible while having it set up safely. Also take your time. When you are not in a rush things seem to work out easier, for me at least. You don't need to cut the stock exhaust.

Once you get past this it's not that hard to do following the instructions that come with the exhaust. I'm going off of memory but I believe I had to unbolt a part of the rear sway bar on the right side for the right side stock muffler/pipe to clear. Also I had to unbolt the stock H-pipe in the front and rear to move the H-pipe forward to allow the stock muffler/pipes room to be removed from it.

Last edited by rfopt; 11-12-2006 at 01:54 PM.
Old 11-12-2006, 01:48 PM
Sven
Team Owner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

get the car at a comfortable working height...safely! then it's just an r&r from there. 1 wrench on a scale of 5
Old 11-12-2006, 01:55 PM
2008corvette
Melting Slicks

I'm a young guy too (20), but I don't really have much experience with working on cars. I had a body shop install my Bullets and Vararam because I didn't want to mess anything up. I plan on doing the same when I get my Kooks headers.

Last edited by 2008corvette; 11-12-2006 at 01:58 PM.
Old 11-12-2006, 02:04 PM
tiggerrick
Racer

You'll be able to do it easy on ramps. The hardest part (for me) was figuring out that you have to remove the rear stabilizer bar. Actually, I only removed the driver side end, This allowed all the clearance I needed. Once the driver side muffler was off, the passanger side came out without difficulty. You will have to disconnect the H-pipe, so make sure you have enough clearance at the front of the car. You will have a total of 6 bolts on the stock exhaust to deal with. NOT a difficult mod.
Old 11-12-2006, 02:14 PM
enjoytheview
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by tiggerrick
You'll be able to do it easy on ramps. The hardest part (for me) was figuring out that you have to remove the rear stabilizer bar. Actually, I only removed the driver side end, This allowed all the clearance I needed. Once the driver side muffler was off, the passanger side came out without difficulty. You will have to disconnect the H-pipe, so make sure you have enough clearance at the front of the car. You will have a total of 6 bolts on the stock exhaust to deal with. NOT a difficult mod.
Thanks for info, just what i'm lookin for.

Is the stabalizer bar the only thing you needed to remove prior the the stock exhaust removal? And is it just bolted off?

Thanks, anymore tips to install like this will be a huge help
Old 11-12-2006, 02:18 PM
BlackMark
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Once you unbolt the H-pipe from the cats,move the flanges back,and remove the lower studs in the cat flanges.It will allow you to drop the H-pipe a whole lot easier,and to move it back into place when you reinstall.They unthread very easily.
Old 11-12-2006, 02:27 PM
StevieK
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Here's a video on the Route 66. Should be almost the same install as the bullets.

http://www.ecklers.com/product.asp?p...1778&video=yes
Old 11-12-2006, 02:34 PM
orca1946
Le Mans Master

Received 460 Likes on 345 Posts

Try it yourself , if an old guy 60 can do it , you can also. I did not remove rear bar , it went in fine without this added step. It should be only nuts & bolts assembly. Good luck
Old 11-12-2006, 02:56 PM
fat bob
Racer

Originally Posted by StevieK
Here's a video on the Route 66. Should be almost the same install as the bullets.

enjoytheview, I am a young guy too, 65, and I did four bullet installs myself. The video is a good way to see this happen.
I do not have a lift and rather than jacking the car way up in the air, I used four jack stands to a height of around 20" to allow easy access to removing the H pipe assembly. You do not have to completely remove the sway bar, just drop it as the video suggests. Lastly, all my installs have been on A6 cars. Rather than removing the left heat shield, I moved the shift lever to S mode and this gave me ample clearance to remove the left muffler and pipe. I don't know about the MN6.

Hope this helps you,

Bob
Old 11-12-2006, 08:31 PM
wwbill617
Instructor

Originally Posted by tiggerrick
When I did mine, I did not totally remove the stabilizer bar. If you loosen the nuts on the end links the whole bar will pivot to one side and drop down enough to get the original pipes out. Be safe, take your time and it will be no problem.

Bill
Old 11-12-2006, 08:39 PM
cthusker
Le Mans Master

Received 94 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by wwbill617
When I did mine, I did not totally remove the stabilizer bar. If you loosen the nuts on the end links the whole bar will pivot to one side and drop down enough to get the original pipes out. Be safe, take your time and it will be no problem.

Bill
If you do loosen the sway bar make sure you re-torque to spec. If not you can get the dredded sway bar CLUNK! If you don't have the right torque wrench buy one because it will come in very handy for many other jobs on your vette. It's an easy install but allow yourself time. Don't get in a rush. I know folks have done it in under hour but for your purpose you don't care. Just follow the instructions and do it right....
Old 11-12-2006, 08:44 PM
jmorgan3235
Burning Brakes

Received 28 Likes on 10 Posts

Take your time, and do it safely. After all is done, you will feel a great since of accomplishment and you will be proud to tell everyone that asks you who did the work that it was you! Nothing like doing things yourself and taking pride in it! GO for it!!
Old 11-12-2006, 08:56 PM
enjoytheview
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by cthusker
If you do loosen the sway bar make sure you re-torque to spec. If not you can get the dredded sway bar CLUNK! If you don't have the right torque wrench buy one because it will come in very handy for many other jobs on your vette. It's an easy install but allow yourself time. Don't get in a rush. I know folks have done it in under hour but for your purpose you don't care. Just follow the instructions and do it right....
First off, thanks to everyone. This is exactly why this forum is such a great resource for spreading knowledge about corvettes. With that being said, what type of torque wrench do i need and what am I tightening to? I'm going to see if i can remove the stock exhaust without having to touch the sway bar, although i wanna be prepared to go there.

Take your time, and do it safely. After all is done, you will feel a great since of accomplishment and you will be proud to tell everyone that asks you who did the work that it was you! Nothing like doing things yourself and taking pride in it! GO for it!!
I know the feeling, and i would much rather be able to acomplish this myself.
Old 11-13-2006, 06:11 PM
fat bob
Racer

Originally Posted by enjoytheview
First off, thanks to everyone. This is exactly why this forum is such a great resource for spreading knowledge about corvettes. With that being said, what type of torque wrench do i need and what am I tightening to? I'm going to see if i can remove the stock exhaust without having to touch the sway bar, although i wanna be prepared to go there.

I know the feeling, and i would much rather be able to acomplish this myself.
enjoytheview, I am at work and when I get home I will post the torque specs for you. There is no problem unbolting and lowering the sway bar. In my opinion, it is easier to remove the bolts from the frame as suggested in the Echler's video rather than fooling with the endlink.
As great as the Forum is, somebody will probably post the torque specs before I can get back to you.

Bob
Old 11-13-2006, 06:25 PM
Idaho Mark
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

there's one important rule that's been left out by your corvette buddies and that rule is: If it jams, force it. If it bust, it needed replacing anyway.
Old 11-13-2006, 06:36 PM
AndysZ
Racer

St. Jude Donor '09
Default Torque Specs

Bolt = 49 lbs
Nut = 70 lbs

Get notified of new replies

To To install or not to install, that is the question

Old 11-17-2006, 08:20 AM
enjoytheview
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by AndysZ
Bolt = 49 lbs
Nut = 70 lbs
Is this only needed if I loosen the sway bar at the end links? I was planning on lossening like they do in the ecklers video.
Old 11-17-2006, 02:50 PM
frats94
7th Gear

Default frats

[SIZE="4"] .

I purchased Corsa w/3.5 touring tips.I have a friend here in Fl. that has a service station,it took approx.40 min max. to install.Corsa sends you a step by step on how to install,you can also go to Eckler's website and they actually have a movie on how and what to do in great detail manual/auto trans. No sweat on Corsa.
Old 02-07-2007, 06:34 PM
meaniam
Racer

Originally Posted by StevieK

great information provided with this video

Quick Reply: To install or not to install, that is the question