C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

$&^% Hatch will not close with the windows up!

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2006, 10:39 AM
RacerChris
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default $&^% Hatch will not close with the windows up!

They (GM) was suppose to of addressed the issue with closing the hatch while the windows are up, but it doesn't work on my 2006 Coupe.

Every time I close my hatch with the windows up, it doesn't latch. Even if I push it down (which I hate cuz it causes finger prints) it still does not latch properly. It's gotten to the point that I have to leave the door open to close the hatch, then I have to go back and close the door!

Did GM screw this "improvement" over the C5 up?
Old 11-21-2006, 10:44 AM
Derail
Racer

You should have yours checked. Mine seems to work as advertised.
Old 11-21-2006, 10:46 AM
Miaugi
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The car is fairly airtight and that is what is causing you grief, the pull down feature was/is supposed to alleviate the problem.

The window valet unit may be a good solution for you as you can lower and raise the windows with the remote.
Old 11-21-2006, 10:50 AM
RacerChris
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Miaugi
The car is fairly airtight and that is what is causing you grief, the pull down feature was/is supposed to alleviate the problem.

The window valet unit may be a good solution for you as you can lower and raise the windows with the remote.

Yes, the new for the C6, pulldown feature was suppose to fix this problem that was in the C5, but it isn't working on my Coupe.

Yes, I do have the Window Valet which makes it easier, but the $%^$ thing should work! Does it for you?
Old 11-21-2006, 10:51 AM
johnodrake

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,579 Likes on 1,619 Posts

Try reindexing your windows:

1. Close the door.
2. Raise the window by pulling up the switch.
3. Hold the up switch for three seconds after the
window is closed. Release the switch.
4. Hold the up switch again for three seconds and
release.
Old 11-21-2006, 10:52 AM
wsharp24
Burning Brakes

I have not had this problem. My hatch closes perfectly....guess I'm lucky. Now, if only I were so lucky with the top fix or replacement.
Old 11-21-2006, 11:02 AM
RacerChris
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by johnodrake
Try reindexing your windows:

1. Close the door.
2. Raise the window by pulling up the switch.
3. Hold the up switch for three seconds after the
window is closed. Release the switch.
4. Hold the up switch again for three seconds and
release.

Hmmm, am I missing something here? Is there a relationship between these two? FWIW, I am alos having problems with window indexing - I have to reset it routinely, like once a month...
Old 11-21-2006, 11:06 AM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,051 Likes on 1,362 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

When our car was new, it took a pretty hard slam to get the hatch to engage the pulldown feature. After 9 months/13k miles, it works with the same amount of slam as any ordinary trunk lid.
Old 11-21-2006, 11:14 AM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by RacerChris
Hmmm, am I missing something here? Is there a relationship between these two? FWIW, I am alos having problems with window indexing - I have to reset it routinely, like once a month...
No relationship that I know of. Someone confused the word hatch with window indexing. If you're having to reset the window indexing once a month, either it's never been reset properly, your battery is getting disconected once a month, or you've got a problem your dealer needs to fix.

My hatch works just fine. When I use the handle to close the hatch, mine latches without further intervention about 19 times out of 20. That 20th time, I just have to press down on it and it latches.

Even if I push it down (which I hate cuz it causes finger prints) it still does not latch properly.
There's something wrong with the latching mechanism. You need to take it to the dealer.
Old 11-21-2006, 11:22 AM
Hoonose
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 66 Posts

They (GM) was suppose to of addressed the issue with closing the hatch while the windows are up, but it doesn't work on my 2006 Coupe.
Mine works as advertised. Of course my C5 wouldn't close.

I hope that you're using the grab handle on the right rear hatch edge.
I use that handle to accelerate (not slam) the hatch downward from maybe a foot or two above the closed position. That added momentum engages my mechanism, and it finishes the job on its own. It does take some practice to get it right. I'd estimate that mine closes the first time maybe 8-9 X out of 10 attempts.
Old 11-21-2006, 11:44 AM
jwolfrom
Instructor

FWIW I always lower mine slowly until the latching mechanism makes contact, then, I push down on the deck (and risk fingerprints) and the latch mechanism sucks it down the rest of the way (it does this with windows up or down). I never drop either the rear deck or the hood - I'm paranoid that I may have left a tool or something where it could cause damage, as a result I have gotten into the habit of always lowering slowly.
Old 11-21-2006, 11:47 AM
SteveTurner
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Derail
Old 11-21-2006, 11:51 AM
BigGeek
Drifting

No. Simply pull the hatch down harder. (Seriously)

Sometimes I don't pull hard enough and the latch pull mechanism doesn't catch.

The C6 is extremely air tight, more so than the C5. The tight indexed windows reduces road noise and slightly increases aerodynamics. So it is an improvement. It's just a minor hassel to get the rear hatch to catch by closing it harder.

If you are having problems after giving it a good tug, then I suggest an adjustment by your local chevy dealer for adjustment.
Old 11-21-2006, 11:51 AM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 152 Likes on 72 Posts
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10

Originally Posted by Derail
My power assist works fine.

Paul
Old 11-21-2006, 11:52 AM
BigJoe
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 64 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by jwolfrom
FWIW I always lower mine slowly until the latching mechanism makes contact, then, I push down on the deck (and risk fingerprints) and the latch mechanism sucks it down the rest of the way (it does this with windows up or down). I never drop either the rear deck or the hood - I'm paranoid that I may have left a tool or something where it could cause damage, as a result I have gotten into the habit of always lowering slowly.
I would never slam the hatch shut, or even drop it from a distance. I figure that eventually that would break the latch or do other damage. But then I have a white Vette so I never worry about fingerprints...
Old 11-21-2006, 11:55 AM
Hoonose
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by BigJoe
I would never slam the hatch shut, or even drop it from a distance. I figure that eventually that would break the latch or do other damage. But then I have a white Vette so I never worry about fingerprints...
Don't forget that the air compression cushions the closure. So a minor 'slam' ends up barely catching.
Old 11-21-2006, 12:01 PM
crabman
Safety Car

Received 79 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoonose
Mine works as advertised. Of course my C5 wouldn't close.

I hope that you're using the grab handle on the right rear hatch edge.
I use that handle to accelerate (not slam) the hatch downward from maybe a foot or two above the closed position. That added momentum engages my mechanism, and it finishes the job on its own. It does take some practice to get it right. I'd estimate that mine closes the first time maybe 8-9 X out of 10 attempts.
Yep, its silly that you have to have develop your hatch closing skills but thats the case. Once you get the click flip down method with the grab handle you should get it pretty much every time. Believe it or not there used to be a video of it being done when the car first came out.

Get notified of new replies

To $&^% Hatch will not close with the windows up!

Old 11-21-2006, 12:02 PM
Gman in NC
Melting Slicks

Received 136 Likes on 75 Posts

I never drop my hatch. Lay it down, give it a gentle push and let the pull down latch do the work. Works great for me.
Old 11-21-2006, 12:03 PM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,075 Likes on 6,173 Posts

Originally Posted by JimTN
No relationship that I know of. Someone confused the word hatch with window indexing. If you're having to reset the window indexing once a month, either it's never been reset properly, your battery is getting disconnected once a month, or you've got a problem your dealer needs to fix.

My hatch works just fine. When I use the handle to close the hatch, mine latches without further intervention about 19 times out of 20. That 20th time, I just have to press down on it and it latches.

There's something wrong with the latching mechanism. You need to take it to the dealer.
RacerChris, you should not have to re-index the windows unless you disconnect the battery. Also, your power assisted hatch pull down does not seem to be working based on your description.

Old 11-21-2006, 12:09 PM
C6 Fan
Advanced

You should check the striker alignment on your hatch. Look for uneven wear on one side of the hatch striker. Sometimes the plant uses the striker to pull the hatch over if it's not aligned properly. With time the hatch should work better than the C5

Quick Reply: $&^% Hatch will not close with the windows up!