C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Top-Tier Fuel: Chevron = BP??

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2006, 06:46 PM
Gburg
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Top-Tier Fuel: Chevron = BP??

From the official list of top-tier gasolines, I am surprised that BP is not on the list. Chevron is on the list. In years past, Chevron was part of Standard Oil before it was split-up. So that there was Standard Oil of California, Standard Oil of Indiana, SOHIO, AMOCO, Chevron, etc.

So, my question is does BP = Chevron on the top-tier gasoline list? Your years my top picks for fuel were BP/Standard/SOHIO or Shell. AMOCO, Standard or SOHIO always meant good gasoline. With higher prices my brand loyalty has been on vacation. If price is close, I go with BP or Shell. But if it is a price difference of .06, .12 or .25/gal: I go for best price from mystery oil company. BP or Shell goes in every 4th fill-up.

Gburg
Old 12-04-2006, 07:16 PM
AP
Team Owner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Depending on your region of the country ... gas is all the same with different additives ... in some places like Ohio, BP is the only supplier ... so even at a Shell your base gas is the same.
Old 12-04-2006, 07:28 PM
easyrider13
Melting Slicks

...but it is the additive package that distinguishes the top tier gasolines.
Old 12-04-2006, 07:45 PM
Lakevette
Racer

Chevron is top tier in Cal. Both Nor and Southern. I have a friend who in Nor Cal who owns a boatyard and systematically tweaks boats, which generally run under much harder operating conditions than most vettes due to rpm band and prop loading. 2% + or - increase in fuel mileage, fewer pinging especially when compared to shell particularly when timing is tweaked for performance. These are carbed comparison's..but my guess is it would be better than most if not all other in fuel injected vehicles as well...
Old 12-04-2006, 08:44 PM
UTVOL06
Melting Slicks

BP and Shell are top fuels..Shell owns Texaco I believe and BP now owns Amoco..both of which are top fuels.
Old 12-04-2006, 08:48 PM
AP
Team Owner

Originally Posted by easyrider13
...but it is the additive package that distinguishes the top tier gasolines.
True ... but depending on the company ... the additives do not do much ..
Old 12-05-2006, 02:06 AM
benspruce
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

It seems like there are so many different takes on gasoline brands. A recent article on AOL suggested that the additives in the top tier gasolines have been so reduced that there is no real difference between Chevron (for example) and Arco. Nonetheless, I still fill up at Chevron. I obviously pay a little more, but I have peace of mind that I'm using what the Corvette engineers recommend.
Old 12-05-2006, 05:40 AM
Zig
Safety Car

Location: stafford country, va. Avatar: Me on turn 3 @ Bristol (The World's Fastest Half-Mile)
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

last i knew bp was not listed as a top-tier simply because not all grades meet the requirement. their premium is good, the lower grades haven't meet or exceeded the requirements to be considered top tier. only companies where all three grades meet the requirements are considered top tier.
Old 12-05-2006, 08:36 AM
LDB
Drifting

Received 1,072 Likes on 434 Posts

BP bought Amoco, so they are the same. Shell briefly was a joint venture with Texaco refining in the US, but then Chevron bought all of Texaco. So now, Chevron and Texaco are the same. There is no longer any relationship between Shell and Texaco.

Top tier refers to the additive package, and it is significant. As far as the old refrain "it all comes out of the same pipe", I've posted on that many times. There are some areas where it's true, but mostly it's not. Some of those old posts may still be on the Forum using search.
Old 12-05-2006, 09:28 AM
AP
Team Owner

I do not doubt that the additives are significant, but they are not the end all be all in gas as far as I know.
Old 12-05-2006, 09:34 AM
Michrider
Safety Car

Here is the list right from the toptiergas.com site. BP is not on it. The additives make a huge difference. Around here in MI, I've seen tons of cars with fuel system problems - mostly clogged injectors when they use the el cheapo Kroger or Costco gas. And everyone in line there to save a couple pennies will say the same thing - it all comes from the same pipeline. Doesn't matter, it's the end product that makes the difference. Like the difference between toothpaste with or without flouride, the base paste may be the same - but you want the one with the good stuff added.

I've used Shell for years, never a single problem. I know several people that run into injector clogging problems about once a year - and they use Kroger. There is a difference.

TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline Retailers

Gasoline retailers must meet the high TOP TIER standards with all grades of gasoline to be approved by the automakers as providing TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline.

In addition, all gasoline outlets carrying the brand of the approved retailer must meet the TOP TIER standards.

Additional gasoline retailers are added to the TOP TIER list as they meet the standards. The retailers known to be on the TOP TIER list are shown below.

TOP TIER Gasoline Retailers:

QuikTrip
Chevron
Conoco
Phillips
Shell
Entec Stations
MFA Oil Company
Kwik Trip/Kwik Star
The Somerset Refinery, Inc.
Chevron-Canada
Aloha Petroleum
Tri-Par Oil Company
Shell-Canada
Texaco
Petro-Canada
Old 12-05-2006, 09:48 AM
UTVOL06
Melting Slicks

I would have never thought quicktrip or conoco to be a top tier gas.
Old 12-05-2006, 10:32 AM

I'm surprised Exxon did not make that list.
Old 12-05-2006, 10:42 AM
AP
Team Owner

Thanks for the info ... I know where you are coming from ... my father owns a few gas stations, and I have taken a lot of time to learn the differences ... but basically there are 3 levels:

Top Tier: High Level of Detergents (your List)
Mid Tier: Some Detergents (Sunoco, BP)
Low Tier: No Detergents (Costco, GetGo, Sam's Club)

Anything with Detergents is better ...
Old 12-05-2006, 10:45 AM
0Myhardtop
Former Vendor

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

Good topic.

My C6 Z06 seems to like both Quik-Trip and Chevron gas. However, it seems to feel a little better with the QT brand on board.
My 26K original miles Grand National likes the Chevron brand. So what gives? Who knows...my butt-dyno-meter has not failed me yet!

Thanks,
Carlos
Old 12-05-2006, 10:56 AM
AP
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Myhardtop
Good topic.

My C6 Z06 seems to like both Quik-Trip and Chevron gas. However, it seems to feel a little better with the QT brand on board.
My 26K original miles Grand National likes the Chevron brand. So what gives? Who knows...my butt-dyno-meter has not failed me yet!

Thanks,
Carlos
The list posted is not in order ... it is just all of the Top Tier brands ...
Old 12-05-2006, 02:31 PM
Gburg
Pro

Originally Posted by Michrider
Here is the list right from the toptiergas.com site. BP is not on it. The additives make a huge difference. Around here in MI, I've seen tons of cars with fuel system problems - mostly clogged injectors when they use the el cheapo Kroger or Costco gas. And everyone in line there to save a couple pennies will say the same thing - it all comes from the same pipeline. Doesn't matter, it's the end product that makes the difference. Like the difference between toothpaste with or without flouride, the base paste may be the same - but you want the one with the good stuff added.

I've used Shell for years, never a single problem. I know several people that run into injector clogging problems about once a year - and they use Kroger. There is a difference.

TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline Retailers

Gasoline retailers must meet the high TOP TIER standards with all grades of gasoline to be approved by the automakers as providing TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline.

In addition, all gasoline outlets carrying the brand of the approved retailer must meet the TOP TIER standards.

Additional gasoline retailers are added to the TOP TIER list as they meet the standards. The retailers known to be on the TOP TIER list are shown below.

TOP TIER Gasoline Retailers:

QuikTrip
Chevron
Conoco
Phillips
Shell
Entec Stations
MFA Oil Company
Kwik Trip/Kwik Star
The Somerset Refinery, Inc.
Chevron-Canada
Aloha Petroleum
Tri-Par Oil Company
Shell-Canada
Texaco
Petro-Canada
In central Ohio, the stations that have the top-tier fuel are Shell, Texaco and Union 76. Shell is most commonly seen of these three dealers. I may have seen a Kwik Trip/Star but I am not certain. All other dealers listed, on the top-tier list, I have never seen or heard about before.

Gburg

Get notified of new replies

To Top-Tier Fuel: Chevron = BP??

Old 12-05-2006, 04:05 PM
WEF's 95
Melting Slicks

Wawa Premium killed my sending unit on the C5. The C6 gets Shell V power and an occasional Exxon.
Old 12-05-2006, 07:08 PM
2K14C7
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 520 Likes on 322 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
2018 C7 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Gburg
From the official list of top-tier gasolines, I am surprised that BP is not on the list. Chevron is on the list. In years past, Chevron was part of Standard Oil before it was split-up. So that there was Standard Oil of California, Standard Oil of Indiana, SOHIO, AMOCO, Chevron, etc.

So, my question is does BP = Chevron on the top-tier gasoline list? Your years my top picks for fuel were BP/Standard/SOHIO or Shell. AMOCO, Standard or SOHIO always meant good gasoline. With higher prices my brand loyalty has been on vacation. If price is close, I go with BP or Shell. But if it is a price difference of .06, .12 or .25/gal: I go for best price from mystery oil company. BP or Shell goes in every 4th fill-up.

Gburg
My 02 C5 has had only Amoco (now BP) 93 octane since new. I have never had ANY issues ever. My fuel gauge has never malfunctioned and I have some friends that had that problem. They also always go to the cheapest place they can find for gas. I think BP 93 octane is as good as any gas out there, for me anyway. Your mileage may vary.

The price is never an issue with me. If the station up the street has gas 5 cents cheaper and I put in 15 gallons of BP it cost me 75 cents more. Not an issue.
Old 12-05-2006, 07:48 PM
wiked07C6
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

I'm suprised that Sunoco is only mid tier because it is the only one that offers 94 octane. That is what I have been using since new. I know Petro-Canada only offers 91 octane. SHould I start using Shell 93?

Quick Reply: Top-Tier Fuel: Chevron = BP??