C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Koni FSD shocks installed and reviewed

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2007, 12:18 AM
crabman
Safety Car

Received 79 Likes on 33 Posts

Sigh...the cost of ownership just keeps rising as I decide on the next thing I MUST HAVE....
Old 01-03-2007, 12:35 AM
torch2000vert
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by crabman
Sigh...the cost of ownership just keeps rising as I decide on the next thing I MUST HAVE....

Get used to it, it never ends, now I'm loking at 4.10's

Old 01-10-2007, 12:17 AM
dozerman
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll finish putting on my FSD's tomorrow. Won't be able to drive it for a couple of months. It was 26 degree's below Zero this morning!!!!!
Old 03-18-2007, 10:19 PM
phythy
Intermediate

I installed the Hatchkis sway bars from WCC and called A&A to recommend shocks. He sent me Bilsteins and the car does ride firmer, but I can feel every bump in the road. I’m not sure which Bilstein models he sent because they where sent directly to the shop that installed them for me. I’m thinking about putting the OEM shocks back on or going for the Koin FDS. I don’t want to feel every bump, but I’d like to feel a little better handling when changing lanes at speed. Knowing what you know would you recommend that I go ahead and get the Koni FDS shocks?
Old 03-18-2007, 10:28 PM
bunk22
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by phythy
I installed the Hatchkis sway bars from WCC and called A&A to recommend shocks. He sent me Bilsteins and the car does ride firmer, but I can feel every bump in the road. I’m not sure which Bilstein models he sent because they where sent directly to the shop that installed them for me. I’m thinking about putting the OEM shocks back on or going for the Koin FDS. I don’t want to feel every bump, but I’d like to feel a little better handling when changing lanes at speed. Knowing what you know would you recommend that I go ahead and get the Koni FDS shocks?
Weird, I just put Bilstein sports on my Z51 and it rides better. Seems to take the bumps in stride as opposed to a jarring ride. I'm very happy with mine so far.
Old 03-27-2007, 05:46 PM
UncleRobb
Racer

Originally Posted by 07MontRedcp
This may give better perspective to those who do not see your first posting. Looks like there is alot of travel control via the bump stop on the OEM shock and I am concerned as to why they did that.
On closer look at the bottom photo it does appear that the Koni FDS piston shaft is shorter than the OEM by about the amount of the larger bump stop used on the OEM. If that's true then that may be why the Koni bump stop is no more than a washer and the bump stop might in reality be the top of the shock.

Am I out to lunch on this one???

BJK

I recently had a set of Koni FSDs installed on my C5 Z51. Since I did not find a bump stop with the shocks, I used the one from the OE dampers (together with the dust cup). Frankly, I am a little disappointed with the performance on rough curves.

Was it a mistake to reuse the OE bump stops? Do I get a better performance in bumpy curves w/o the Z51 setup?

Thanks, Robert
Old 03-27-2007, 06:42 PM
rmp
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

I'm still on the fence with my Bilstein Sports on my Z51 coupe. Ride is on the "busy" side, i.e. you feel every road imperfection. I might switch to the Konis but will wait until more people have tried them.

Originally Posted by phythy
Old 03-28-2007, 06:17 AM
UncleRobb
Racer

Originally Posted by UncleRobb
I recently had a set of Koni FSDs installed on my C5 Z51. Since I did not find a bump stop with the shocks, I used the one from the OE dampers (together with the dust cup). Frankly, I am a little disappointed with the performance on rough curves.

Was it a mistake to reuse the OE bump stops? Do I get a better performance in bumpy curves w/o the Z51 setup?

Thanks, Robert
According to the German sales dept. of Koni the OE bump stops are to be reused. If there is no bump stop than the piston might damage the valves when the shock bottoms. Moreover, the plastic washers with the slot at the side are to be put between the bump stop and the shock body. This will prevent the bump stops from sucking oil out of the shock when it bottoms. A Koni technician will call me after the Easter holidays to discuss some details.
Old 04-14-2007, 07:20 PM
PaBlueCoupe
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'09

Great thread with valuable input from several knowledgable members of CF.

The FSDs are going on next week, and I am looking forward to significant changes.
Old 03-28-2012, 12:10 AM
Joost Thienpont
Intermediate

what would be a good installation quote?
Old 03-28-2012, 08:29 AM
designerRob
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Joost Thienpont
what would be a good installation quote?
Holy thread revival! This could be a record.
Old 03-28-2012, 09:38 AM
Boomer111
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 151 Posts

Almost 5 years!

I have the Z51 sways and FSD's shocks on my 08 and concur with the OP's assessment.

I have not driven the F55 though.

And yes the HWY 17 is a beast of a road, it will put the suspension to a formidable test.

Quick Reply: Koni FSD shocks installed and reviewed