C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transparent Roof Questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2007, 11:24 PM
NFexec
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Transparent Roof Questions

I'm a little confused... So I have some questions:

1. On the Chevrolet website, the MSRP for a transparent roof is $750, yet I see them for sale on this site for more than that. Why?

2. When purchasing the roof package (transparent AND the body painted roof panel), it's $1,400. So... when one buys the transparent roof, I assume that's the only one you get.... right? Or, does the metal painted panel come with the car and the transparent roof is the added roof? If so, why would one buy the package? If not....

3. Where do you store your 2nd roof when not on or in the car?

4. I've only seen a couple of posts about this one: With the transparent roof in a warm to hot summer climate - doesn't the interior of the cabin get pretty hot?

5. Last one: When "wearing" the transparent top, how do you keep it in good shape like one would with zaino or carnuba wax on the body panels... Just use soap and water, then a quality plastic conditioner?

Thank you for your help on this!

Doug
Old 01-02-2007, 11:32 PM
6literbeater
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1. Dunno, crazy though huh?
2. Yes, when you opt for the transparent roof, thats all you get.
3. Basement in a blanket
4. It gets pretty toasty in there due to the transparent roof. I leave it off most the time any way.
5. I wash it when it was on the car and I use a mild wax to keep it up.
Old 01-02-2007, 11:33 PM
60av8tor
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NFexec

1. On the Chevrolet website, the MSRP for a transparent roof is $750, yet I see them for sale on this site for more than that. Why?

2. When purchasing the roof package (transparent AND the body painted roof panel), it's $1,400. So... when one buys the transparent roof, I assume that's the only one you get.... right? Or, does the metal painted panel come with the car and the transparent roof is the added roof? If so, why would one buy the package? If not....

4. I've only seen a couple of posts about this one: With the transparent roof in a warm to hot summer climate - doesn't the interior of the cabin get pretty hot?

5. Last one: When "wearing" the transparent top, how do you keep it in good shape like one would with zaino or carnuba wax on the body panels... Just use soap and water, then a quality plastic conditioner?

Doug
Old 01-02-2007, 11:43 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

Doug
1. The MSRP for $750 is not the price for the transparent roof. It's the MSRP for the transparent roof MINUS the painted roof. In other words, the transparent roof costs $750 plus the painted roof.

2. $1400 is the price for a tranparent roof with no tradein for the painted roof. In other words, the transparent roof total price by itself is $1400.

3. Several vendors sell a bag of some kind made to keep it in. Some just put theirs under the bed or behind the couch.

4. My C4 had a transparent roof and it sat outside during the summer while I was working during the day. I tried using a static cling piece of plastic made to block most of the sunlight, but could never get it to stay on. Never had any experience with transparent roofs on C5s & C6s, but the C4 got pretty warm inside.

5. No experience here. Didn't do anything special to the one I had on the C4.
Old 01-02-2007, 11:44 PM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,075 Likes on 6,173 Posts

Doug
1 and 2) When you select the Transparent Roof option, you are getting the Transparent Roof only. If you select the Roof Package, you are getting both roofs.

The painted roof is in the base price of the coupe. So, $1400 is GM's price for the transparent roof. With the Transparent Roof option, you are essentially getting a $650 credit for deleting the painted roof ($1400 - $750).

3) I kept mine (had both roofs on my C5) under the bed.

4) Yes, very hot. I found it too hot for the A/C to effectively cool the car in a reasonable amount of time. As a result, I seldom used the transparent top and did not get both tops on my C6.

5) I just washed it with the rest of the car, but is spent most of the time under the bed so nothing else was required.

Get notified of new replies

To Transparent Roof Questions

Quick Reply: Transparent Roof Questions