C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are the extended warrantees worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2007, 09:45 PM
07Vette4me
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Are the extended warrantees worth it?

After reading the post "I Need $$ Quotes For Ext. Warrenty " I'm starting to consider getting an extended warranty.

A few questions...

Is it worth it?

and..

What do the extended warrantees cover? According to some of the people who posted on the thread listed above, there are a few exteneded warrantees offered.

Is there a link I could look them up?

Thanks for your responses!

Rob
Old 01-25-2007, 09:47 PM
Snagle
Burning Brakes

GMPP Web Site

http://www.gmprotectionplan.com/product_options.html
Old 01-25-2007, 09:49 PM
07Vette4me
Drifting

Thanks Snagle!
Old 01-25-2007, 09:49 PM
runutzzzzz
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 56 Likes on 30 Posts

It depends on how long you plan on keeping your car but...
I had one on my NSX and it paid off! It was $800.00 and I had a claim for $33,000! Yes $33K!! They put a whole new engine in!
So do I think it's worth it, YES!
Old 01-25-2007, 09:55 PM
S2K
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

It also of course depends on the car. I've never in my life purchased an extended warranty and I've never in my life paid more for repairs than the cost of the warranty, so for me it was never worth it. However, this is my first American car in near 20-years and I would be terrified to own it out of warranty. Unfortunately I am coming close based on mileage, but rather than get the warranty, I am hoping to get a hold of an '08. I may have to spend some time out of warranty which will keep me up at night. We'll see.
Old 01-25-2007, 10:05 PM
Radical05
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default depends

With the people (quite a few) I see that post miles on the cars ('ie' an 05 with 5000 miles on it) I would not waste my money. Now if you drive it normal like I do (20K miles now on an 05) that is a 50/50 decision mostly based on can you work on the car yourself. I do but still torn on a decision due to electronics. Now if you drive it even more it may pay to do so. I'm also torn do I wait until I get closer to 3 years or not. If I knew I was putting lots of miles on maybe sooner than later. Anyway at this time I see no need and another item to consider is what mods you have installed. If you had heads/cam, different rear gears and all maybe a waste of time bc they will most likely deny a claim. Lots to consider before dumping another $1500-$3500 or so in a warranty that may or may not be used. I have never used a warranty that I bought before in other cars bc they never broke. Hopefully the Vette follows the same trend. Anyway that is my nickel.
Old 01-25-2007, 10:12 PM
07Vette4me
Drifting

Thanks All..

I've never purchased an extended warranty on any of my cars before. But, I've never owned a Vette before either... I want to do the right thing.

A little about me...I really know nothing about cars as far as working on them. I've always wanted a Vette and now I have my dream car and want to make sure I take care of it well. It's a second car, one that I'll just drive on nice days and probably not put a lot of miles on in a year. I'm sure I'll have fun with it. But, I'm not going to beat on it either. I also plan on keeping it for a long time.

I appreciate all your feedback.

Thanks!
Old 01-25-2007, 10:16 PM
JVM225
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '06

I never purchased one before, but I'm seriously considering one for my C6. With the cost of repairs, and the fact that I intend to keep it until at least when the C7's are a year or two old, it is good insurance.
Old 01-25-2007, 10:19 PM
Soccerprep205
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll trade u mine!!! haha i plan to go FI and i wont be using it. j/k, the point im making is that only buy it if you plan to keep it stock for some time. If you go through cars fast and mod heavily... dont bother, but i always seem to get suckered into it either way... GL
Old 01-25-2007, 10:24 PM
vettetech2
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IMO buying an extended warranty thru a dealer is just not worth the $$$,waytoo expensive.They are not true bumper to bumper warrantys.Way too many exclusions.
Old 01-25-2007, 10:44 PM
Comfortably Numb
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I plan to buy a warranty for my 05 C6 before the end of September - got surprisingly low quotes on GMPP's.....I have 3,100 miles on my car. My opnion is the less you drive the more likely you are to have a problem. Cars are made to be driven. Probably sounds stupid - but thats my 2 cents. Anyways with all the electronics stuff on the car you could easily spend the cost of a warranty over a extended 5 year period. I know two guys, both work at Chevy and both have extended GMPP warranties. Granted they buy at a lower cost than me but their recommendation is to buy it. Good luck

Get notified of new replies

To Are the extended warrantees worth it?

Quick Reply: Are the extended warrantees worth it?