C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2008 450 hp yes or no????

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2007, 08:01 PM
wilcoxdg
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fearless Prediction for 2008:
Base: 450hp (same as the Nissan Skyline)
Zo6: 550hp
SS?: 650hp
Old 01-27-2007, 08:05 PM
Hatchet
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jschindler
...a 2007 Tahoe with DOD (and I"ve ridden in it). Same thing - you can't even tell it has it.
I have a 2007 Tahoe and you don't notice at all. At least I don't!
Old 01-27-2007, 08:38 PM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by Silverspeed
I don't think they will bump it to 450. I think that might upset 05-07 C6 owners, and I think they know that. It wouldn't suprise me at all if the C7 had 450 or even more. But that's a complete car redesign. An extra 50 hp would make a big difference.......especially 0-100, and I just don't think they will do it. My guess is 425.............maybe 435. But now that I think about it, GM has in the past done things that absolutely blow my mind.........so you never know.
Sorry, but I don't agree with you. Why would they not want to upset 05-07 owners (and I am one)? What they want is for us to buy a new one - which I plan to this summer if it gets a hp increase.

Hell, the way some of you think, we would still be driving a Corvette with a Blue Flame six - 0-60 in about 12 seconds and getting 11 mpg.

We are in a horsepower war not seen since the late 60s. GM simply is responding, and I'm glad they are.
Old 01-27-2007, 08:57 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,502 Likes on 1,959 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Just imagine what we'd be posting if they weren't trying to keep up with the competition~!!! And they kept the "base" horsepower at 345 or so.

Right now, there are base V6s at 300+ hp. Torque lower, of course.

but, just imagine....I doubt if anyone would be sanguine on CF-C6.
Old 01-27-2007, 09:41 PM
EngPilot
Heel & Toe

I have watched some of the information on the web for this, and I believe the engine will have 450 HP if GM includes direct fuel injection with this engine.

The L92 6.2 L in the Escalade produces 403 HP. Its rated rpm is 6000. With the "LS2" features added, and higher rpm capability, this engine should easily reach 425 HP. Note that the L92 already has VVT.

Since GM's most profitable product lines are pickups and SUV's, I believe they are looking to add all the best features to their V8's so to make these vehicles not only powerful, but fuel efficient. This would include VVT, DOD (or Active Fuel Management, AFM), and Direct Fuel Injection. I would also believe that GM may eliminate a few engines, such as the 4.8 L V8 and the 6.0 L V8, and have just 2 options, the 5.3 L and the 6.2 L. This reduces their manufacturing costs, something GM needs to be concerned with in the current market. For small engined pickups, I believe that GM may utilize their high feature 3.6 L engine (~ 275 HP).

I have been following the Yukon/Tahoe hybrid news, and I noticed the following info regarding its engine (see link). It will have DOD, VVT, and a 12:1 compression ratio. This high compression ratio suggests direct fuel injection to me. Therefore, I believe that this new LS3 in the Corvette will likely have 450 HP!

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=108854

There are several other reasons to anticipate direct fuel injection, and one reason is that it helps to lower emissions. GM has direct fuel injection on the Solistice GXP, and has announced that the high feature 3.6 L V6 will have it in the near future. Also, GM will look to provide more engine power to its customers, but also will look to increase fuel economy. This is the responible approach for a large company that sells large "fuel thirsty" vehicles, because they always seem to come under the microscope, even though their pickups and SUV's get better mileage than their competitors like the Toymota Land Cruiser.

Finally, in the American Lemans Series last year, the Corvette team just narrowly defeated the Aston Martin team for the championship. Direct fuel injection could be applied to the C6R, providing more power to help the team complete with the currently more powerful Aston Martins.

I'll agree with the 450 HP, and would expect the LS7 to go to something close to 550 HP.
Old 01-27-2007, 10:14 PM
ronssito
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by G-BOAC

I wish I grew up when you did, I'm still stunned when I sit and think that you could have walked into a dealer, and for $4,000, ordered a 1967 big block convertible with a stinger hood, 427 cubic inch engine, HD brakes, etc. Or done similar for a Camaro SS/RS, Chevelle, GTO, Challenger, or Charger! But -- given the great cars out today: C6, Dodge Charger, Magnum, Mustang, and upcoming Camaro and Challengers, we don't live in too bad an era! Although, it would be nice to be paying $2,800 for these cars, rather than $42K.

Mark

The irony is that at $42K, today's cars are MORE affordable than yesteryear, because any idiot with no job and bad credit can get a car loan now!

Old 01-27-2007, 10:46 PM
Vettin08
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rgcarmack14
Okay, what is DOD? thanks.
Acronym for Displacement On Demand. GM's cylinder deactivation technology. I think it's been renamed on everything now to Active Fuel Management...AFM. We have it on our Impala SS LS4 (303hp), the transition is seamless, and so far, NO ONE has been able to tell when it switches when riding or driving the car. The stock exhaust sounds the same under all conditions, though I don't know how they accomplished that. I also don't know how it would sound w/ an aftermarket exhaust, but I have faith that GM would not do this to the Corvette unless it was acceptable to the owners. Does anyone think they will really let it sound like a riced out Cobalt? I doubt it. And if it does, there is already an edit to take it out....case closed.
Old 01-27-2007, 11:04 PM
Radical05
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Viper look out

I hear the 2008 with a 6.2l will be 475hp not sure about TQ. The rear end with a manual will be a 3:73 opt and Auto 3:42.
Old 01-28-2007, 01:47 AM
OregonC6
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

You and I seem to agree on everything - up until now. Talk to someone who owns a Chrysler 300 C. I'll bet most of them don't even know their car has DOD. I've talked to people who own them, and they say it is totally seemless, and you don't even know when the cylinders are deactivated. I've also talked to a friend of mine with a 2007 Tahoe with DOD (and I"ve ridden in it). Same thing - you can't even tell it has it.

I'll gladly take DOD to get more horsepower.
I have a Jeep Grand Cherokee with the 345hp hemi DOD engine. The engine performs flawlessly and really give the big AWD SUV some personality. The DOD is totally seamless. You don't even know when or if it is doing it's thing.

The only question in my mind is whether GMs version of cylinder deactivation is as good as this.......if it is then no worries. I know it's in an SUV but the engine in my Jeep is a screamer that never misses a beat. They should put it in the Crossfire!!!!!!!! Now that would be a little beast. Then there is the Grand Cherokee SRT8 at something like 425 hp.
Old 01-28-2007, 01:55 AM
jdmvette
Night Owl for life
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,322 Likes on 1,704 Posts

Originally Posted by Radical05
I hear the 2008 with a 6.2l will be 475hp not sure about TQ. The rear end with a manual will be a 3:73 opt and Auto 3:42.
[Ace Ventura] Reeee-he-he-he-heeeelllllly [/Ace]
Old 01-28-2007, 04:31 AM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Radical05
Not sure where you heard that, 6.3L is likely but I certainly wouldn't count on 475hp, a 3.73 geared manual or a 3.42 geared automatic.
Look for 3.42s as the sole ratio on the manuals with 2.56s standard and 2.73s optional on the automatic, at best.
Old 01-28-2007, 07:38 AM
cthusker
Le Mans Master

Received 98 Likes on 59 Posts

You and I seem to agree on everything - up until now. Talk to someone who owns a Chrysler 300 C. I'll bet most of them don't even know their car has DOD. I've talked to people who own them, and they say it is totally seemless, and you don't even know when the cylinders are deactivated. I've also talked to a friend of mine with a 2007 Tahoe with DOD (and I"ve ridden in it). Same thing - you can't even tell it has it.

I'll gladly take DOD to get more horsepower.
I gotta have the right sound from my vette. I'm telling you those things DO NOT sound right when backing it down. I've heard my friends Tahoe and I could tell immediately there was something different. I don't want to sound like a Briggs and Straton with my 50 grand car. If you go with after market exhaust it would just sound worse. I also wonder about modding a HP engine using DOD? I know the lifters in the GM system are entirely different and limit cam height. Not sure what else is changed in the valve train.

However you may be 100% correct in your assessment but I'd have stay on the sidelines until it was proven technology in a vette. I'll keep and open mind but not with 50+ grand for awhile.
Old 01-28-2007, 08:21 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,502 Likes on 1,959 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Just remember, cthusker: the vast, vast majority of even Corvette owners, don't mod, don't change a thing. As a matter of fact, the vast majority don't even shift!

That means even if you can hear the difference, either the majority of owners won't, or they won't care. Especially if A) there's more power and B) there's more mpg.

Those are the facts of even) Corvette life. You can dispute it, but they're still facts.
Old 01-28-2007, 08:33 AM
08 Vett
Racer

You guys are Killing me!

Tim
Old 01-28-2007, 08:48 AM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by cthusker
I gotta have the right sound from my vette....
You're preaching to the choir on that one. Don't forget, I've had B&B exhausts on my Corvettes for the past five years - Bullet's on the last two
Old 01-28-2007, 10:39 AM
Jman34
Instructor

It would be nice to see the 427 badge on the car. I've seen some photos of forum members who have done this and it looks good.
Old 01-28-2007, 12:01 PM
cthusker
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by LT4CompYell
Just remember, cthusker: the vast, vast majority of even Corvette owners, don't mod, don't change a thing. As a matter of fact, the vast majority don't even shift!

That means even if you can hear the difference, either the majority of owners won't, or they won't care. Especially if A) there's more power and B) there's more mpg.

Those are the facts of even) Corvette life. You can dispute it, but they're still facts.
I'm sure you’re probably correct that the vast majority of vette owners would never notice the difference but I know that I will. As for MPG I could not personally care less because I never considered that when buying the car. It does however get the vette past the guzzler tax so it's not all bad. I drive a manual but again the majority of vettes are now autos. Bottom line is your probably right but I want to see what happens with this modern DOD marvel when HP engines get 50,000 plus miles on them. If nothing else it will be very interesting to see exactly what the General ultimately decides when it comes to the new engine design. If reg C6 would go to 450 (don't believe they will) then what is a Z going to have? You really think they'll raise a Z to 550 hp to keep the differential between them the same? I guess the ultimate winner will be us the vette buyers when it comes to HP in the near future...........

Get notified of new replies

To 2008 450 hp yes or no????

Old 01-28-2007, 04:11 PM
G-BOAC
Instructor

Default 427 badge photos

Originally Posted by Jman34
It would be nice to see the 427 badge on the car. I've seen some photos of forum members who have done this and it looks good.
Does anyone have any 427 badge photos that they could post on here??

Mark
Old 01-28-2007, 05:41 PM
cthusker
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by need-for-speed
Craig,
The hand held tuners for the trucks already have the capability of turning off DoD. I've also read here that GM may set it up so that DoD is deactivated in competition mode.

My stance is that I'd rather not have the additional complexity, but if it allows GM to put a "bigger" motor in, then I'm for it.
Now if we can turn that sucker off I wouldn't have any major objection to a bigger motor. That's sounds like music to my ears if we don't have to use DoD at all. Just crank up the HP and I'm all for it... can never have to much HP on tap!! Thanks for the info....
Old 01-28-2007, 05:41 PM
Vettin08
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by cthusker
I'm telling you those things DO NOT sound right when backing it down. I've heard my friends Tahoe and I could tell immediately there was something different.
Strange, I drive an Impala SS everyday and I can't tell a difference in sound.

Quick Reply: 2008 450 hp yes or no????