C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Body chip protection

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2007, 08:55 AM
briancuss
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Body chip protection

Short of the full blown 3M / professional application, how have you fared with "Cleartastic" behind the wheel wells and some small mudflaps? For those that have a few seaons on their C6, where are you getting most paint chips? I would think the front nose would take most abuse, but don't want to put a traditional "bra" on. I've also seen some not very happy with the professional 3M full treatment.

Thanks
Old 02-04-2007, 09:04 AM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 154 Likes on 74 Posts
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10

Originally Posted by briancuss
Short of the full blown 3M / professional application, how have you fared with "Cleartastic" behind the wheel wells and some small mudflaps? For those that have a few seaons on their C6, where are you getting most paint chips? I would think the front nose would take most abuse, but don't want to put a traditional "bra" on. I've also seen some not very happy with the professional 3M full treatment.

Thanks
I have the 3M vinyl on my car and couldn't be happier so I can't talk to chips / dings since I don't have any. If you don't like traditional bras and or the vinyl clear bra the cleartastic protection is an excellent product that works as promised. I used a combination of an OEM nose mask and cleartastic treatment on my '97 C5 for 5 years and when I traded it in it was virtually chip free. To your observation about not being happy with the professional 3M full treatment, I'm quite certain that if you asked 100 people about tap water and sliced bread some would come out against it.

Paul
Old 02-04-2007, 09:22 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,490 Likes on 1,951 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Nothing is forever or perfect. While I can't answer your C6 questions re "clear bra", I can say I've had it on 2 cars since '03 (one a '96 Corvette that I bought with under 10K miles), and won't do without it.

While there are just a few companies that manufacture the film, I've had 3M and think it may be the best.

The major dissatisfactions may've been with a slight, orange peel look esp. visible on darker colored cars. In my opinon, far better looking than the "white" of primer beneath the paint, especially as the chips spread and multiply. And to my knowledge, this is/has been corrected in newer "models" of clear bra, at least from 3M, that I know of.

The other dissatisfaction may've been with installation. Both cars, I had to take back once to have them adjusted (meaning the installer either pulled off completely one or two of the pieces and replaced, or heated and re-applied due to a small blip). Therefore, the advice you will see is, it's not in the product, it's all in the installer.

And it is. If you've ever seen it done, even a very experienced installer (of which there are very few!), can take upwards of 3 hours for half hood, all front bumper, part of front fenders, mirrors, behind rear wheel wells, door sills, etc. And if you watch them, as I have, they will get to a point and may have to completely start over on a piece, usually a big piece that has multiple contours to conform to.

But once applied and properly, no problems. I drove cross country three times (and exercised normal caution, i.e., not tailing trucks, and even most cars) with one car and the only thing I had on it was a very small nick BELOW the clear bra on a mirror.

It can run money, but for my money, if you want a car to still look good, it's the way to go.
Old 02-04-2007, 09:39 AM
JVM225
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '06

I love my 3M clear bra. It was a custom installation, not a kit. Make sure you you use a good installer. Take a look at a few of their other installations, particularly other C6's.
Old 02-04-2007, 10:05 AM
Comfortably Numb
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You have received very good advice so far in this thread. Here's how I found my installer - I called the Lamborghini dealer nearby and asked who they used. They wanted to sell me the package at first but finally relented and gave me the guys name. Then I called a custom car dealer and asked who he used - got the same guy. That solved my dilemma on who to use. One other recommendation - go over the final job with a fine tooth comb - literally. Make sure you have a complete understanding of what happens if there is a problem and you have to come back. The ideal situation is this - get the job done in the morning, let the car sit in the sun for the remainder of the day, then go while it is still light enough out and inspect it. Good luck....BTW - I used Avery because it has a orange peel effect that matvhes my orange peeled paint. And...get the hood tape contoured cut (not a straight line across the hood). It will hide it better.

Last edited by Comfortably Numb; 02-04-2007 at 10:07 AM.
Old 02-04-2007, 11:11 AM
niceguy753
Racer

Hi. My 05 C6 has splash guards and CLEARTASTIC .... both make for a good protection system. The slight air bubbles showing were right after a car wash. They dry in an hour and disappear. I like that I can remove the film when I wish...if I am going to apply more Zaino....or for a complete cleaning.

Last edited by niceguy753; 02-04-2007 at 11:13 AM.
Old 02-04-2007, 02:43 PM
buzltyr
Racer

Get the splash guards from Ed at Nakid Parts. They are easy to install and you hardly notice them, they look OEM. Ed's customer service is second to none.

Last edited by buzltyr; 02-04-2007 at 02:52 PM.
Old 02-05-2007, 12:47 AM
bugman
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

I love my cleartastic. When you don't want it , take it off. One hour later, put it back on - takes about 15 minutes to put all pieces on the car, once you've done it the first time. Takes 45 seconds to take them all off.

No need to have to heat and remove sticky gooey adhesive. And if the product ever yellowed, cracked into 100 little pieces, you wouldn't want to have to remove each one individually (3M).

These are some of my pics : for more, go to http://c6.81x.com and click on "protection"

Old 02-05-2007, 01:04 AM
mlongo99
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

I have no protection on mine, although I do put on a bra for trackdays. After almost 2 years, there are almost no scrapes/nicks on the nose. It still looks excellent! All the marks are in the small areas just behind the wheels. It's pretty obvious that they are exposed to whatever the tires kick up.
Old 02-05-2007, 03:10 AM
SunsetOrangeCreations
Melting Slicks

Location: Exhaust Commander Wireless Bi-Mode Exhaust Controllers, Innovative and advanced technology! --- Check out our website @ www.sunsetorangecreations.com
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

I had my C6 for about 5 days and then got hit with a nasty rock that first impacted the top of the bumper and the rattled up the hood, hit the top of the windshield and went over.

It made me sick. It looked like tiny bb marks down to primer up my hood. Windshield didnt crack but now has two scars from the ordeal.

The worst hits happend to the bumper and in the first 18 inches of the hood. After the first 18" there were two on the hood and two chips in the top of windshield.

I spent about 40 hours repairing the chips myself and they looked good. Langka and fine cut polish brought them up to level and the paint match was decent.

Then I decided to get the Clear Bra installed as I didnt want anymore events like this. I did the Front bumper and 18" of hood and fenders.

If I would have had the clear bra on prior I would only have had 2 paint chips to repair instead of 8.

My wifes new car made it 5 days and then got one on the hood too. I have learned my lesson.

Buy car, get insurance, clear bra ASAP before any freeway driving.

The shop that did mine was doing the FULL WRAP of a Lamborghini Gallardo and a new Porsche Cayman while I was there. It looked sweet.

My wife liked the look of the clear bra material and asked why I didnt do the full wrap... I just didnt feel it was needed, but it would be ultimate piece of mind.

I may go with the Cleartastic behind the wheels though. It sounds like a cool product.
Old 02-05-2007, 09:02 AM
1subject70sheets
Racer

Clear bra here also, can't live without it. 18 ", hood, fenders, mirrors + full bumper. The protected areas still look great and are chip-free!
Place that did my car has more info: click here
Old 02-05-2007, 09:36 AM
jimmie jam
Le Mans Master

Received 570 Likes on 347 Posts

my car was in the garage WITH 2 MILES ON IT. the first time on the road was to Boca Raton for a clear bra (3M). so i got protection at 27 miles. I AM HAPPY NOW. ***** DO NOT WAIT******

Get notified of new replies

To Body chip protection

Quick Reply: Body chip protection