C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please help!

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2007, 03:52 PM
conlaurant
Racer

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

Default Please help!

I have tried a search and I cannot seem to find any info on the Flywheel recall. I know this topic is old so I appologize, I just happen to be the one who waited til now to get it done(or not). It expires 3/7/07. Mine has been trouble free with 28900 miles and I'm afraid to have it ripped apart if it needs it. My question is should I even have it done if it is found that it is out of spec? should I have noticed any clutch problems over the course of 28900 miles?

Thanks for all your imputs/opinions. Sorry for the winded thread . A.H
Old 02-07-2007, 03:59 PM
Landru
Race Director

Received 1,055 Likes on 827 Posts

If someone doesn't surface with an answer to your question?
Try posting it on the "C6 Technical" side of the forum.
Old 02-07-2007, 04:19 PM
Michrider
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you received the notice, I would have it done. There's an inspection where there is minimal dissassembly, basically just a hoist ride and removing a flywheel inspection cover and inspecting flywheel locating/indexing pins. Maybe everything is fine.

If it was assembled wrong, I'd get it fixed now. I'd just be real careful in selecting the dealership/tech. Make sure that tech has done several before.

Couple of key questions to ask. Will you be using lift pucks? If the flywheel has to be replaced, how will you get the balance correct?

If they are clueless on the balance question, go elsewhere. Because if they don't know how to transfer the balance weights to the new flywheel, you could wind up with an out of balance engine with no way to rebalance without a complete tear down.

Basically they have to mark and note the position of all balance weights prior to removal - that's the key - prior to removal. Those weights have to go on the the new flywheel in the exact same position for the engine to remain in balance. Make sure they can explain that balance weight procedure. Because if someone just takes the flywheel off without following that procedure, it's screwed.

Stress to them and make them write on the repair order - Note the position of any balance weights in relation to the flywheel, and in relation to the crank. Mark the flywheel, crank, and weight positions prior to removing the flywheel.

It's not like the old days when there was only one way to assemble. This new stuff can be screwed up if not following the service manual exactly.

Last edited by Michrider; 02-07-2007 at 04:22 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Please help!

Quick Reply: Please help!