C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

drove my first american car today

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2007, 04:48 PM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 154 Likes on 74 Posts
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10

Originally Posted by Bavarian Motorist
Thanks a lot guys. I realize there are many factors. I'm in college, not married, have an apartment.

I guess I was asking relative to other cars, how does the corvette fare in the insurance area?

Those #s don't sound bad at all, though.

The car didn't say Z51 on it like the others so I'm assuming it was the base version?
The Z51 exterior badging is not standard from the factory these are added by owners aftermarket so you can't always go by that. There are actually three choices in suspension. The base (RPO FE3), magnetic selective ride control (RPO F55) and the performance handling package (RPO Z51). The '05 and '06 C6 Z51 came from the factory with drilled rotors. The base and the F55 came with solid rotors. The F55 will have a selection **** on the center console to the left of the e-brake handle labelled with tour and sport. You can find these RPO codes on a decal in the glove box.
Old 02-10-2007, 04:54 PM
martij9
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

im 23 and single male in an apartment - i pay $115 month. when i was considering a mustang back before i saw the light when i looked into insurance it was $175 a month - Not sure why the vette is cheaper but im not complaining
Old 02-10-2007, 04:55 PM
Bavarian Motorist
Instructor

Originally Posted by kgelliott
Am finally glad to hear someone else admit to not knowing what gear they were in while test driving a C6! I was so excited to finally get to try one out that the ONLY time I knew for sure which gear I was using was when I backed up while turning around!! I'd been driving a heavy-clutched Mustang for 2 years, so the lighter clutch and moment's excitement caused me to even think the unthinkable: Hmm..I wonder what the Automatic feels like? Long story short, after a minor left hip operation a couple months later, I'm very happy with my A6 C6!
Heh, even if I had to change the entire transmission to a better functioning one, I would keep it a manual. I just couldn't justify in my mind owning this beauty in a a6 But hey, I can also see how this can give someone a hip ache
Old 02-10-2007, 04:57 PM
Bavarian Motorist
Instructor

Originally Posted by talon90
The Z51 exterior badging is not standard from the factory these are added by owners aftermarket so you can't always go by that. There are actually three choices in suspension. The base (RPO FE3), magnetic selective ride control (RPO F55) and the performance handling package (RPO Z51). The '05 and '06 C6 Z51 came from the factory with drilled rotors. The base and the F55 came with solid rotors. The F55 will have a selection **** on the center console to the left of the e-brake handle labelled with tour and sport. You can find these RPO codes on a decal in the glove box.
Ohh. I didn't notice any of that and didn't think to ask. Would you recommend and upgraded suspension?

Originally Posted by martij9
im 23 and single male in an apartment - i pay $115 month. when i was considering a mustang back before i saw the light when i looked into insurance it was $175 a month - Not sure why the vette is cheaper but im not complaining
That's very encouraging. I don't wanna pay a ton for insurance.
Old 02-10-2007, 05:00 PM
slomarsh
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Former Porsche guy too

Now you know why myself and so many others have defected from Porsche to Corvette. How can you argue with 150 more HP and same or better gas mileage than a Boxter?!

Anyway, You will get used to the shift pattern and the notchiness-its not as smooth as the cable operation on your Boxter but still a nice shifting unit and is best when fully warmed up.

The Z51 is a must for a former Porsche owner unless you never enjoyed driving the "twisties" or a road course. The Z51 is roughly equivilent to the Porsche M030 or sport suspension. However, you get even more with the Corvette Z51- bigger brakes, coolers, close ratio trans and stiffer suspension and shocks.

You will find the Corvette brakes as well as the Boxter but you won't have as much pedal feel. Same with the more numb Vette steering. I have now realized the steering is actually a plus-less fatigue and road "tracking" on longer drives.
I absolutely love the Corvette. Porsche would have a hard time getting me back and I had owned various Porsches for 30 odd years.

Last edited by slomarsh; 02-10-2007 at 05:06 PM.
Old 02-10-2007, 05:13 PM
User 020720
Race Director

Speaking about the brakes, they're excellent on the C6. Shortest stoping distances of any car I've driven so far. Was driving on the freeway late last night when a pickup towing a car (via a rope of all things) was in the middle lane. I was in the right lane and they swerved in front of me, nearly cut me off, and then pulled onto the shoulder. I never once doubted the maneuverability of my vette; was in control the entire time and the car stopped on a dime. My adrenaline on the other hand...
Old 02-10-2007, 05:21 PM
goatts
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I guess this not the best place to get an "objective" opinion. There's a Corvette fan or two around here. It may take a week or two to get used to the car. Especially the shift. I just put a short throw shifter in mine last year and it took me some time to get used to it. I have drag raced and autocrossed mine. Also, there is a ton of stuff available in the aftermarket if you're into modding.
Old 02-10-2007, 05:45 PM
PENYLES
Intermediate

I must speak up.....
Seems to me you are definitely interested in the Vette. Can I assume you drove a C6? Of course.
You are looking at the Grand Canyon through a keyhole. (for 10 minutes!)
Too bad you can't climb into a C4...like maybe a ZR1. Then on to a C5-Z06...now, you're ready for the continued evolution of the Vette. The C6 is just another step in what will become, one day, maybe another 4-5-6 years, the C7.
I have owned the Boxcar....oops, pardon me. As you can tell, the Corvette is very much American only raved in Europe in whispers. I know this because I work over there and see this all the time.

My Boxster was "cute", according to my wife who would much rather burn up my tires on the Vette.

We may have our problems but, let's be reasonable. Apples to apples...the Corvette will become your favorite car. Period.
Most of us here have grown up with the Vette. It is a way of life for most of us.
We welcome you to the group and will let nature take it's course....the Vette will establish itself. Give it a chance.
By the way....the "button" on the e-brake is merely a mechanical stop for each notch in the travel. I only use it to release mine and still must move the handle back to the static position. Pushing the button with your thumb will not release the brake. Next test run give it a try. One or two motions and you will have it wired. Simplicity at it's best.
I wish you could sample more of the evolution most of us have in order to know what the car is all about. It has *****....my Boxster had a place where they should have been....the trunk.

Next time give it hell. We hope to hear more from you...like maybe what color you bought. (Z51 is a must for you, I agree.) Welcome to the cult.
Corvettes have personality, so do you, our friend.

Now, if we could just make beer like in your homeland!

Old 02-10-2007, 05:52 PM
BlueSpeed
Pro

my comparison: boxster v. c6
coming from a manual boxster into an '07 z51 c6 mn6, the v8 power is the first thing that will instantly put a grin on your face! Too bad GM tamed the exhaust noise too much on the c6 (compared to the C5's nicer v8 rumble), the boxster had a nice exhaust note. I like the shifting and have gotten used to the gears in my c6, the handling on the other hand is completely different, the boxster's mid engine is a far superior design for handling - hands down the boxster's handling is better, but the z51 is no slouch you have to get used to having more weight in the front and adjusting your turns, the z51 brakes feel much softer than the boxster's, the boxster brakes give you slightly better feel and feedback, but in the end the stopping performance is about the same.

Porsche service was top notch, service on a new chevy is luck of the draw, but thats what you have this site for - to learn how to do it your self Maintenance and upkeep costs are a lot less on the c6 - many people complain here about the "vette" tax, they never experienced the "porsche" tax!!! Quality of the interior - porsche wins in this dept. but the c6 is not that far behind - with the HUD, some dsvettes leather mods, aftermarket pedals, door sills, and mats, the c6 will look top quality. Overall quality, I believe that porsche uses better quality parts and are built to last longer, also porsche paint is world class, on the other hand, the c6 gets the job done for a lot less money, and replacement parts are less expensive. You could always buy a GM extended warranty while Porsche is not interested in the warranty business, you have to go aftermarket. Ride comfort - c6 wins hands down, its much roomier, seats are more comfortable and carry on space is better.

Both cars are excellent and shine on thier own strengths, I definitely recommend the z51 option, you wont be disappointed in your new c6!
Old 02-10-2007, 06:17 PM
xs650
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks for replies

As for the e-brake...

There is a lever you can operate manually, yes, but when I parked, I asked the dealer if the e-brake was up and he said that it was and that it is all operated by a button.
You have stumbled onto the single worst feature about Corvettes. Chevy dealers.

You'll get used to the shifter, it's not tiring after a long drive, just different than a Porsche.
Old 02-10-2007, 08:52 PM
dcress1127
Safety Car

I would like to add a thought on the C6 versus the boxster and most of the other sports cars out there. If you compare the two on a flat track I think they are very close in handling, horsepower and torque aside, but we don't drive flat surfaces on a day to day basis and the dynamics of the suspension in off camber turns or turns with a dip in the middle or a rise before or after the turn, will show you the nimbleness and sure footedness of the Corvette compared to everything else. Added to a learned control of the power, the Corvette is just an all around awesomely fun car to drive every day and still be at home on the track. We have an A6 with Selective ride and the 07 with the bigger brakes has mega stopping power. Shalom
Old 02-10-2007, 08:58 PM
Garrett W
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

First off i wasnt sure if u tested the C6 or the C6 Z06...

anywayz...

The shifting... If you thought that was tight and tough try getting a hurst or any aftermarket shifter.

Thats a good thing though.

The button thing? That saves A LOT of weight. Its much lighter and helps the weight A LOT A LOT! And its fancy looking , girls like it haha

Breaking and handleing is amazing specially if you drove the Z or even the Z51 has much better handleing and breaking.
Old 02-10-2007, 09:22 PM
Dave Dog
Intermediate

I saved about $200 per year on my insurance.

I have four drivers and three cars on my policy and pay $3600 per year.

One you drive Corvette for a while and get used to how it performs you will find like a lot of us did that the C6 is the best bang for the buck.

Welcome to the Club!
Old 02-10-2007, 09:23 PM
sjohnson2615
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Ok. I give up on the e-brake thing. All I know is when I parked, the e-brake was already up and the guy made some excuse for it.

I am glad to hear it handles so well for having such an old-fashioned suspension. That screams 'potential' in my mind.

The interior was tolerable, honestly. It wasn't that bad at all. The seats look great, but the center console looked cheap. It's not like Porsche interiors are great either. But like I said, I don't care for that

Thanks for all your replies. I am grateful.

If you liked the horsepower when you drove it,just imagine how much better it will be when the emergency brake is off
Old 02-10-2007, 09:26 PM
Dave Dog
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Dave Dog
I saved about $200 per year on my insurance.

I have four drivers and three cars on my policy and pay $3600 per year.

One you drive Corvette for a while and get used to how it performs you will find like a lot of us did that the C6 is the best bang for the buck.

Welcome to the Club!
I forgot to mention two of the drivers are teenagers.
Old 02-10-2007, 10:16 PM
Sven
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '08-'09

I love the crappy interior. The corvette humbled me.
Obviously you know what's important in a sports car. The sooner you cross over the better!!
Old 02-10-2007, 10:25 PM
Bavarian Motorist
Instructor

Wow, so many replies

Originally Posted by goatts
I guess this not the best place to get an "objective" opinion. There's a Corvette fan or two around here. It may take a week or two to get used to the car. Especially the shift. I just put a short throw shifter in mine last year and it took me some time to get used to it. I have drag raced and autocrossed mine. Also, there is a ton of stuff available in the aftermarket if you're into modding.
Sports cars tend to be love-hate relationships. I will justify and of its faults by telling myself how fast and fun it is

Originally Posted by PENYLES
I must speak up.....
Seems to me you are definitely interested in the Vette. Can I assume you drove a C6? Of course.
You are looking at the Grand Canyon through a keyhole. (for 10 minutes!)
Too bad you can't climb into a C4...like maybe a ZR1. Then on to a C5-Z06...now, you're ready for the continued evolution of the Vette. The C6 is just another step in what will become, one day, maybe another 4-5-6 years, the C7.
I have owned the Boxcar....oops, pardon me. As you can tell, the Corvette is very much American only raved in Europe in whispers. I know this because I work over there and see this all the time.

My Boxster was "cute", according to my wife who would much rather burn up my tires on the Vette.

We may have our problems but, let's be reasonable. Apples to apples...the Corvette will become your favorite car. Period.
Most of us here have grown up with the Vette. It is a way of life for most of us.
We welcome you to the group and will let nature take it's course....the Vette will establish itself. Give it a chance.
By the way....the "button" on the e-brake is merely a mechanical stop for each notch in the travel. I only use it to release mine and still must move the handle back to the static position. Pushing the button with your thumb will not release the brake. Next test run give it a try. One or two motions and you will have it wired. Simplicity at it's best.
I wish you could sample more of the evolution most of us have in order to know what the car is all about. It has *****....my Boxster had a place where they should have been....the trunk.

Next time give it hell. We hope to hear more from you...like maybe what color you bought. (Z51 is a must for you, I agree.) Welcome to the cult.
Corvettes have personality, so do you, our friend.

Now, if we could just make beer like in your homeland!

I regret to admit that aside from being raised in a family and associated w/ people who only drove Japanese or German cars, I took on their ways and became very brand prejudiced. I took a narrow look at domestic vehicles. It was only recently I opened my eyes up to what I was missing. I never grew up w/ these cars. I am just glad I opened my eyes before it was too late.

I am glad that I have a warm community to join as well. That makes it all the more appealing and tempting. I am now proudly a vette guy, but don't be mistaken, I will always love my "German heritage"

Originally Posted by BlueSpeed
my comparison: boxster v. c6
coming from a manual boxster into an '07 z51 c6 mn6, the v8 power is the first thing that will instantly put a grin on your face! Too bad GM tamed the exhaust noise too much on the c6 (compared to the C5's nicer v8 rumble), the boxster had a nice exhaust note. I like the shifting and have gotten used to the gears in my c6, the handling on the other hand is completely different, the boxster's mid engine is a far superior design for handling - hands down the boxster's handling is better, but the z51 is no slouch you have to get used to having more weight in the front and adjusting your turns, the z51 brakes feel much softer than the boxster's, the boxster brakes give you slightly better feel and feedback, but in the end the stopping performance is about the same.

Porsche service was top notch, service on a new chevy is luck of the draw, but thats what you have this site for - to learn how to do it your self Maintenance and upkeep costs are a lot less on the c6 - many people complain here about the "vette" tax, they never experienced the "porsche" tax!!! Quality of the interior - porsche wins in this dept. but the c6 is not that far behind - with the HUD, some dsvettes leather mods, aftermarket pedals, door sills, and mats, the c6 will look top quality. Overall quality, I believe that porsche uses better quality parts and are built to last longer, also porsche paint is world class, on the other hand, the c6 gets the job done for a lot less money, and replacement parts are less expensive. You could always buy a GM extended warranty while Porsche is not interested in the warranty business, you have to go aftermarket. Ride comfort - c6 wins hands down, its much roomier, seats are more comfortable and carry on space is better.

Both cars are excellent and shine on thier own strengths, I definitely recommend the z51 option, you wont be disappointed in your new c6!

I love both cars. I don't want anyone to think I am turning against Porsche or I dislike it. I love it. This car is just a different animal. I mean, comparing a 911 to a z06 isn't a fair comparison because they are just totally different cars.

There is nothing like driving a tiny little RWD two seater. It is fun in its own way.

Originally Posted by sjohnson2615
If you liked the horsepower when you drove it,just imagine how much better it will be when the emergency brake is off
LOL!!!!!! Well, I think he put it down, but who knows!

Originally Posted by Dave Dog
I forgot to mention two of the drivers are teenagers.
Well, that's encouraging. Thank you.

I just want to say that I love Porsches for what they are. They are not what corvettes are and to compare the two is really not fair by any stretch.

I think it is safe to say that I am a 'Vette guy from now on. I haven't stopped raving about it to all my friends since.

Get notified of new replies

To drove my first american car today

Old 02-10-2007, 10:28 PM
OregonC6
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

There's another factor you might consider. I don't how your area is but around here Boxsters and other Porsches seem to grow on trees. They are everywhere....Beemers likewise.

Audis and Benzs are pretty commonplace too.....This is NOT American car country for sure. On an average day you might see a vette or two generally a C4 or C5. Some days I seen no vettes around town. A C6 sighting is once a week and Z06 is never.

So pay the money and get a Boxster around here and you're likely to pull up to an identical one at the next light.....but in a vette you constantly turn heads and likely will as long as you own the car.

And you don't need a Z06 to make a big impression like you might in Miami or LA. So bang for your buck comes in different flavors. There's performance and then there is owning a car that is a bit unique and not seen that often. Heck, I see Ferraris as often as C6s around here.
Old 02-10-2007, 11:05 PM
Bavarian Motorist
Instructor

I live in the NYC metro area (suburban areas mostly) and I thought the same thing. "Why are there no vettes around here? I see BMWs left and right but no vettes."

I don't know if this was coincidence or maybe I just hadn't noticed before, but after I left the dealership, I saw at least 8 c6s driving around and on c5.

I know it's not that I hadn't noticed them. I notice every car, especially sports cars. They really stand out to me.

It was very strange.

It's like when you learn a new word and then somehow you end up seeing that same word everywhere you look.
Old 02-10-2007, 11:12 PM
JVM225
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '06

I live on Long Island and it seems like there are C5's and C6's everywhere you look.

Quick Reply: drove my first american car today