C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any LoJack Issues on the C6

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2007, 11:28 PM
calemasters
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Any LoJack Issues on the C6

Has any one had concerns with the LoJack system on the C6?

Such as:

1.) LoJack causing a discharged battery
2.) LoJack module interfering with vehicle electronics
3.) LoJack not working when vehicle has been reported stolen
4.) LoJack failures of any kind
5.) Other concerns
Old 02-26-2007, 11:36 PM
User 020720
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm interested in hearing opinions too. I priced out a LoJack for my car. I liked the way it can call your cell if you buy that option.
Old 02-26-2007, 11:44 PM
welcome2try
Safety Car

Location: Objects in your mirror are losing , Long Island, NY
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by calemasters
Has any one had concerns with the LoJack system on the C6?

Such as:

1.) LoJack causing a discharged battery
2.) LoJack module interfering with vehicle electronics
3.) LoJack not working when vehicle has been reported stolen
4.) LoJack failures of any kind
5.) Other concerns
Yes I did when I first purchased my 05 new. Big time problems with discharge, I was forced to yank it out and get a refund from the dealer after 3 to 4 visits to the dealer due to discharge. Lo Jack might have this problem resolved, with a new processor. Anyhow, after the Lo Jack removal no problems for approximately a year, had discharge one more time due to a defective battery. I posted an extensive thread regarding my ordeal few months back. Do a search and good luck..
Old 02-26-2007, 11:58 PM
schizcat
Drifting

Received 142 Likes on 121 Posts

I have a 06 M6...got the lojack from the dealer when i bought the car last march. no problems yet.
Old 02-27-2007, 01:25 AM
stinky
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

'05 C6 M6 w/no probs to date. Hope I never have to find out if it works
Old 02-27-2007, 03:56 AM
bolivar
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Isn't a Lojack usefully only where they have receivers, or have they gone to cell phone technology?

What is the advantage over Onstar?

Of course, if the car doesn't have the Onstar hardware, a Lojack might be the best way to go.
Old 02-27-2007, 03:51 PM
degaux
Drifting

No probs with the LoJack in my 05 A4
Old 02-27-2007, 05:01 PM
Lakevette
Racer

Originally Posted by degaux
No probs with the LoJack in my 05 A4
No problems...LoJack installed in early Jan. $800 with cell phone/email contact setup. Not cheap...but cheaper than the alternative of never finding the car if stolen. Especially here in LA...
Old 02-27-2007, 05:02 PM
rays06C6
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

LoJack was installed on my 06 M6 approx one year ago. I've had no problems. Thought it was a good alternative to OnStar since there are no recurring charges.
Old 02-28-2007, 03:35 AM
calemasters
Le Mans Master

I just did an installation inspection on the LoJack. LoJack told me all connections were soldiered and taped. They were not. The installer just twisted and taped all of the connections. No soldier. A very poor practice. Also, trim retainers were not re-installed correctly and one was broken.

I hate it when I have to redo someones poor work. Oh well.

Any one know what the dark blue unused wire is for, coming out of the module? It was just taped back in the wiring harness. It is not the antenna coax.

Last edited by calemasters; 02-28-2007 at 03:38 AM.
Old 02-28-2007, 03:47 PM
calemasters
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by bolivar
You know if OnStar is working, as you can test it. OnStar works at any location.

You do not have a way to test LoJack and it only has a range of 5 to 10 miles when activated.
Old 02-28-2007, 05:08 PM
froggs
Instructor

Originally Posted by bolivar
Isn't a Lojack usefully only where they have receivers, or have they gone to cell phone technology?

Of course, if the car doesn't have the Onstar hardware, a Lojack might be the best way to go.
LoJack works on RF, while OnStar works via cellular technology. If your OnStar can't receive a cell signal (analog or digital), it won't work for detection (i.e. deadzone, tunnel, underground garage). Because it's cellular, the range is huge. If your car is stolen, you report it to OnStar, who then reports it to the police. They use GPS to pinpoint your car. Since LoJack is RF, the range is less (I've read a 40 mile max range), but it shouldn't be limited by the drawbacks of cellular technology. Also, if the thief disconnects the OnStar computer, or rips out the antenna, it won't work. Police cars are outfitted with the receivers to track the signals, so you report your car stolen to them and they can track it. LoJack can be hidden in a number of places on the vehicle, and from what I understand, they also install a backup transceiver in another location on the vehicle, just in case the first one fails, or is discovered and disabled. I also know that LoJack offers a money back guarantee of some kind, while I'm unsure if OnStar does.
Old 02-28-2007, 05:10 PM
Lakevette
Racer

Default Has anyone tested the Lo-Jack setup??????

You know if OnStar is working, as you can test it. OnStar works at any location.

You do not have a way to test LoJack and it only has a range of 5 to 10 miles when activated.
I can think of one possible way to test. Start the car.. and drive it about 20 miles round trip. WITHOUT the key fob. The way I have been explained it.. if the key transciever and transponder don't move together at the same time..an alert is sent to Lo-Jack who will promptly email you and call your registered phone #..

Has
Old 02-28-2007, 06:02 PM
calemasters
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Lakevette
I can think of one possible way to test. Start the car.. and drive it about 20 miles round trip. WITHOUT the key fob. The way I have been explained it.. if the key transciever and transponder don't move together at the same time..an alert is sent to Lo-Jack who will promptly email you and call your registered phone #..

Has
Yes, you are referring to the LoJack Early Warning system. Most cars just have the base LoJack where you have to call 911 to report the theft. There is no key fob for the basic unit. The base unit is manufactured by Motorola. The Early Waring is made by another manufacture.
Old 02-28-2007, 06:07 PM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

If my vette gets stolen,I'll let them have it and collect the insurance and get another one!
Old 03-01-2007, 12:51 AM
Lakevette
Racer

Yes, you are referring to the LoJack Early Warning system. Most cars just have the base LoJack where you have to call 911 to report the theft. There is no key fob for the basic unit. The base unit is manufactured by Motorola. The Early Waring is made by another manufacture.
Although it is Lo-Jack..it's probably "overkill" but the "base" setup..was quoted $150 less. I guess no one can acuse me of being "cheap"...although I did buy the car used...LMAO!

Get notified of new replies

To Any LoJack Issues on the C6

Quick Reply: Any LoJack Issues on the C6