C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MTI six-shooter & Cam installed! Awesome!

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2007, 08:39 AM
vette18
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MTI six-shooter & Cam installed! Awesome!

MTI in Atlanta hooked me up again. Just had one of their custom grind cams put in (around 230/600 lift/113 lsa...don't know exactly since it is their special recipe!)

I was wanting a good ground pounding, lopey idle. I wanted my car to sound like a big block '69 camaro. For a cam only it really sounds pretty mean. I would actually like a bit more lope so I might get the idle lowered a tad. It idles just under 1000 now. It added nearly 50 horses though. Power is up, sounds is awesome with LT's and GHL's. Very happy...for now. Geez my wife will kill me if I go FI next! I have a SERIOUS problem that is getting worse.

I also had the MTI six-shooter shifter put in. Let me say that I am not a "shifter" type person. The shifter was the last thing on my mind and I thought the stock one was just fine. I talked to another customer of MTI's that had the six shooter and he convinced me. I LOVE THAT SHIFTER AS MUCH AS MY NEW CAM! I really just can't believe that a shifter could make that much difference. I was not expecting much change but I was wrong. I wish that would have been my first mod. It now shifts clean and securely to each gear without any excessive effort. It feels like a race car. I never my miss my 2-3 upshift now either....highly recommend.

Thanks for everyone's help on the cam in my other post. I appreciate it.
Old 03-12-2007, 03:38 PM
Deserteagle83
Bigger, Blacker, Faster
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any sound clips in the works?
Old 03-12-2007, 04:17 PM
Boozman
Le Mans Master

Received 58 Likes on 54 Posts

Thsnks for sharing
Old 03-12-2007, 05:04 PM
vette18
Instructor

Originally Posted by Deserteagle83
I'm hoping to get one up this weekend. I don't think it will capture the true sound of it though. Nothing like sitting in it while it shakes and puts out that incredible bassy "hit" when it lopes. It really does sound like a big block in there now.
Old 03-13-2007, 03:32 AM
Deserteagle83
Bigger, Blacker, Faster
Support Corvetteforum!

I know that its slightly off-subject, but how would you rank MTI. I am looking to get a good amount of work done to my car, and i am torn between MTI and another tuner in Atlanta.

PM me if possible please.
Old 03-13-2007, 08:22 AM
vette18
Instructor

I know that its slightly off-subject, but how would you rank MTI. I am looking to get a good amount of work done to my car, and i am torn between MTI and another tuner in Atlanta.

PM sent. I highly recommend them. Corvettes are MTI's specialty. Look at their website and read Reeses' bio. He has a lot of experience in many aspects of racing/tuning.
Old 03-13-2007, 10:36 AM
jreece.mtiracing
Advanced

Default Vette18

We are excited for you, what an awesome car! When it left the shop the other day we were left drooling-Killer sound! goodluck,Godspeed, and we'll see ya soon.
-JR-
Old 03-13-2007, 10:38 AM
vette18
Instructor

Thanks! This thing is brutally fast!
Old 03-13-2007, 10:49 AM
fignewton
Instructor

Default Reese, status update on 6 shooter?

I sent you all an email last wed asking about it, because it appears all links to the shifter have been removed from your web site link on the left under sponsors. Don't see it under products anywhere, and the videos are gone, etc.
Can this be ordered? Any update on the rattle/vibration issue?
Thanks,
Fig
Old 03-13-2007, 04:46 PM
zrchris
Pro

Default Six shooter status

Six Shooter shifters are not presently available outside of the shop. The ones being installed right now are the "old" original design that requires a stock core, but there are only a few left. If someone really wanted one shipped, they would have to send in a core first to get it built.

The new design is proceeding along nicely; just in the past few days preliminary parts have been delivered. An awful lot of design work and careful consideration is going on right now. Two alpha retrofit test units are ready to install in the next few days; they are a big improvement over the previous design, yet look the same. However more improvements are on the way- beta units should be in testing in a couple weeks.

Pending the outcome of testing, production delivery will probably be about two months from now, but that could change. We have to take our time to make sure this new design is everything it needs to be, zero excuses. Until then all I can say is hang on, it will be well worth the wait compared to the other options out there. A very public annoucement will be made when units are ready for sale.
Old 03-13-2007, 05:52 PM
fignewton
Instructor

Default Thanks a bunch!

I'm really looking forward to getting this right when I do it.
Cheers and good luck!
Fig
Old 03-16-2007, 10:57 AM
gorillavet
Drifting

First I assume you are military with your address thank you for your service to the Country.
MTI Racing in Atlanta is one of the top tuners in the southeast. I use them and have been very satisfied. Check out their web site as they have tons of pics and videos.
Old 03-27-2007, 12:21 AM
BLWright
Burning Brakes

Old 03-27-2007, 03:33 AM
Z06zilla
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

MTI Racing is hands down the best shop I've been to.
Reece and the boys are top notch!
Dyno graph or #'s please.

Last edited by Z06zilla; 03-27-2007 at 03:36 AM.
Old 03-27-2007, 08:47 AM
vette18
Instructor

Quote:

Originally Posted by BLWright
Sorry not looking good. I tried with my digital camera and all I am getting is video. Can't get the sound to work for some reason and I knew you didn't want to stare at my exhaust tips in silence.

On another note, while my ghls, headers and cam sound really sweet, I've decided to go back to corsas. I always liked my corsas but they weren't loud enough. Now that I added the cam, the GHL's are just a bit over my drone threshold because my car is a daily driver. I'll be putting on the corsas this week so I may not ever get to capture the exhaust sound. Of course being in person and hearing the bassy notes shake ground are what really sound good. I wish that could be captured on video - it would make it easier for all of us to choose the right exhaust over the internet!
Old 03-27-2007, 08:48 AM
vette18
Instructor

Originally Posted by r6vette99
MTI Racing is hands down the best shop I've been to.
Reece and the boys are top notch!
Dyno graph or #'s please.
My dyno graph is already in a picture frame in my "garage ma-hal" so I can't scan it but my numbers are in my signature. Remember I have 4:10's so I'm dynoing a little lower.
Old 03-28-2007, 06:59 AM
Deserteagle83
Bigger, Blacker, Faster
Support Corvetteforum!

I've been doing a lot of listening on YouTube and various other sites, and i think that with the work that i am going to do that the Corsa Sports are going to sound the best for me with the least drone. Are those the ones that you are putting back on your car? If so, how loud were they. I want something with more rumble than stock, but not baby scaring.

PS Dont worry about the camera. With some of these darn cameras you need an electrical engineering degree just to work them.

Get notified of new replies

To MTI six-shooter & Cam installed! Awesome!

Old 03-28-2007, 07:52 AM
TEXASRANGER
HOOK-EM HORNS

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 696 Likes on 172 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Get's me all worked up. I am picking my 07 up tomorrow from LG Motorsports in Dallas (Wylie) tomorrow. Having their cam, 4:10 gears and custom tune installed. I have about the same other mods as well so I should be close to your HP....can't wait.
Old 03-28-2007, 08:34 AM
vette18
Instructor

[QUOTE=Deserteagle83;1559570387]I've been doing a lot of listening on YouTube and various other sites, and i think that with the work that i am going to do that the Corsa Sports are going to sound the best for me with the least drone. Are those the ones that you are putting back on your car? If so, how loud were they. I want something with more rumble than stock, but not baby scaring. QUOTE]

Yes, I am going back with the corsa sport. They were not nearly loud/aggressive enough with stock headers.

I think you'll like the sound/volume if you do headers. Adding the cam will make it even louder. I like the sound of the corsas but I sold them before I knew I would be doing headers and cam. Corsa sport on a stock car sound nice but not nearly aggressive enough (for me).

Corsa's are not going to be obnoxious even with headers and cam. You can be easy and not make a lot of noise until you get on it hard. My GHL's actually have a great sound without being obnoxious too but they have just a bit too much drone with my new mods.

Sorry it can be so subjective. Maybe you can ride in some other member's cars when you get back in the States before making a decision. Good luck!
Old 03-28-2007, 08:36 AM
vette18
Instructor

Originally Posted by TEXASRANGER
Get's me all worked up. I am picking my 07 up tomorrow from LG Motorsports in Dallas (Wylie) tomorrow. Having their cam, 4:10 gears and custom tune installed. I have about the same other mods as well so I should be close to your HP....can't wait.
I can imagine how you feel waiting to get your beast back. You will love it! I knew my car was running well when the guys at MTI said "you've got a hotrod now!". They build some cars way meaner than mine but for them to say that must mean the power has come a long way from stock!

Quick Reply: MTI six-shooter & Cam installed! Awesome!